ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Golf GTI ED30 v Leon Cupra K1 (pic heavy)

Megane 225
Just had a class weekend. My mate got 1 of each of these from his work for a show on Sat! I drove the Golf on Fri and Sat morning, then the Leon on Sat nite/Sunday! Never had a race with a car so well matched, there was nothing at all in it! The Golf was a DSG, so didn't get a totally fair comparrison, but they are both very good cars! My thoughts were simple, Golf for everyday driving, but the Leon for the weekend ;) !

Here's some photo's! Enjoy!

Castlewellan2008013.jpg

Castlewellan2008014.jpg

Castlewellan2008019.jpg

Castlewellan2008020.jpg

Castlewellan2008021.jpg

Castlewellan2008022.jpg

Castlewellan2008023.jpg

Castlewellan2008025.jpg

Castlewellan2008026.jpg

Castlewellan2008027.jpg

Castlewellan2008028.jpg

Castlewellan2008029.jpg

Castlewellan2008030.jpg

Castlewellan2008031.jpg

Castlewellan2008032.jpg

Castlewellan2008033.jpg

Castlewellan2008034.jpg

Castlewellan2008035.jpg

Castlewellan2008036.jpg

Castlewellan2008037.jpg

Combo
lovely cars, dont like the golf's wheels in black tho (or the black bonnet tbh) but i prefer the golf

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
I honestly couldn't decide, seen a White leon cupra with white wheels has so much presence on the road...

Octy VRS
Not liking the Leon that much, the rear is awful. Golf looks great even if it is a 4 door etc.

MCS R56
I can't decide if I like them in white. The Golf's bonnet is nasty and the Leon is a bit too MPV-like.

VaVa
Five doors! Booooooo! lol

Both look mint imho. I think the mk5 golf is a little plain looking tbh. Wouldn't turn one down mind!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
After driving my bro's Cupra at the weekend, I'd have that anyday. Lovely motors, very rapid too.

Megane 225
You can def feel the extra 40bhp in the K1 compared to the normal Cupra. As for the exhaust, I really like it. Pics don't do it justice. But each to their own. I think a 3dr Manual Edition 30 would jus do it for me! The DSG box is a pile of shite!

Elise 111R
think a 3dr Manual Edition 30 would jus do it for me! The DSG box is a pile of s**te!

What did you find wrong with it? I thought it was very good and much better than some of the other manufactors offerings (havent tried the new BMW SMG 3 yet)

Megane 225
think a 3dr Manual Edition 30 would jus do it for me! The DSG box is a pile of s**te!

What did you find wrong with it? I thought it was very good and much better than some of the other manufactors offerings (havent tried the new BMW SMG 3 yet)

I just hate automatic boxes. I prefer to tell the car what gear to be in! Lol! Just personal preference, the DSG is probably the best auto box on the market atm!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Why isn't the Edition 30 on the BBSs they come with?

What's wrong with the DSG box, everyone seems to love them? And when it's not in 'auto' mode, surely you can tell it what gear to be in? I haven't tried anything with DSG yet, but I want to! I kept toying with going to blag a test drive of a GTi I've spied at a local dealer, the website says it's DSG. I just fear it though, what if I fall in love hehe!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
You can def feel the extra 40bhp in the K1 compared to the normal Cupra. As for the exhaust, I really like it. Pics don't do it justice. But each to their own. I think a 3dr Manual Edition 30 would jus do it for me! The DSG box is a pile of s**te!

40bhp more? Don't think so - the K1 is just the bodykit isn't it?

Megane 225
You can def feel the extra 40bhp in the K1 compared to the normal Cupra. As for the exhaust, I really like it. Pics don't do it justice. But each to their own. I think a 3dr Manual Edition 30 would jus do it for me! The DSG box is a pile of s**te!

Sorry, I stand corrected. The new 1's are all 240BHP I thought the 1st 1's had the 200BHP engine?

Snotter's
dsg is s**t!!!!!!!!1 are you having a laugh, they are using a near identical system on the new 911.

Out of the two i would take the ed30 and upgrade to r32 brakes.

Megane 225
dsg is s**t!!!!!!!!1 are you having a laugh, they are using a near identical system on the new 911.

Out of the two i would take the ed30 and upgrade to r32 brakes.

Just my own personal opinion. I just don't feel in control in any automatic car. As I said above it's prob the best Automatic box on the market atm, but I just don't like auto's!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182

Sorry, I stand corrected. The new 1's are all 240BHP I thought the 1st 1's had the 200BHP engine?

thats not right actually bud i found out today that some fella took his straight to have it chipped and to get an idea of the gain (with only 5miles on the clock) and stuck it on rollers and it was 260hp but they say its 240 so its in a lower band insurence wise

Snotter's
its nothing to do with getting it into a lower insurance bracket its just that they are economical with the figures unlike renault

std ed30 put out around 250bhp

leon cupra around 260bhp

s3 around 280bhp

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
thats not right actually bud i found out today that some fella took his straight to have it chipped and to get an idea of the gain (with only 5miles on the clock) and stuck it on rollers and it was 260hp but they say its 240 so its in a lower band insurence wise

Can you post the link to that dude? Wouldn't mind a wee read, my brother is lookin at getting a new Cupra, as they're available from Motorpoint for £16k.

And 5 miles? Hmm, I've never picked up a new car with that few miles on heh, I suspect he was being a bit flip with the truth there hehe :) By the time it's driven round the docks at both ends, been on the dealers test drive as part of the PDI they usually have at the very least, 15-20 miles on.

One of my mates bought a new Corsa, got to the dealer, and had to wait whilst it was *driven* over from somewhere else, and then when it arrived it had 79 miles on it!

Coilovered Clio Dynamique
Saw both these cars at the show. Both beautiful cars. Think i have seen that silver clio in newtownards before but may be wrong!

Thats right mate , you can add the kit yourself , so you don't have to have the nasty central exhaust.

No that must of been the FR the Mk2 Cupra has always come with 240ps book figure.

its nothing to do with getting it into a lower insurance bracket its just that they are economical with the figures unlike renault

std ed30 put out around 250bhp

leon cupra around 260bhp

s3 around 280bhp

Or 290bhp with good fuel :cool:

leon

Last edited:
  Snotter's
haha very good,still would like to get mine on the rollers out of curiosity. Get the GIAC you will not regret it.

Turbos.
I just think the Leon is too big, it looks like an MPV which has been tarted up. I'm not a fan of that particular Golf, as i like the black ones best. They're just the right blend of subtlety/sporty. For the money there isn't a better all rounder IMO.

For me the DSG box removes another layer of interaction. It is too good. The SMG is very unrefined, but you still feel part of the experience which is the main thing for me. I imagine in a few years everyone will have a DSG type box in their cars though, it makes sense.

Golf GTI Ed30
Not sure about the bonnet on the Golf, but the black Monza alloys are spot on. Wanted them myself, but begrudged paying £1200 without tyres!!!
Look so much better in 3dr trim too..
08052008520.jpg

RR.jpg

20080622-f44aguh3djkykpsy722na2ajhd.jpg

Never above 25mpg
Shocking parking in the car park ;) !!

Not keen on white that much anymore!! It's been rinsed so quickly!! Looks more of a family MPV meet haha!!

Bet they're both good fun to drive though :)

Megane 225
Shocking parking in the car park ;) !!

Not keen on white that much anymore!! It's been rinsed so quickly!! Looks more of a family MPV meet haha!!

Bet they're both good fun to drive though :)

Pics were taken just after the show when alot of the cars had left. That's y the car parking looks rubbish. They were actually cars on the stands!