ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Golf v5, quicker than i thought!

Bombing round in my new toy (Iceberg mk2 172) picking on anything i could i pulled up next to said golf at the lights. Thinkin it would be driven by some old bloke with a pipe and slippers i took no notice till he hammered it away from the lights.

At the next set of lights i was prepared and we both nailed it on green, up to around 40 we were neck and neck before i had to give way as the road narrowed into one lane. I followed him to a dual carriage way where he booted it and although i had no problem keeping up, i had around one/oneand a half thou rpm to go in each gear i was well surprised how quick the golf was. Maybe its just that im a sh*t driver or that the car only had 700miles on it but i thought the clio would toast it from the lights!?!

Mate you need your car run in! From what ive heard the power outputs can be quite diverse in how you look after it!

I love 5 cylinder cars *audi quattros!*. The golfs have 170bhp, but are a lot heavier, must have more torque though. Cant tune em like the turbos so im guessin he was going for it big time! Though as it gets over the intertia they must have a good top whack????

ok i wasnt being charitable, ive checked on their rather cool site..

0-60 in 8.1
139mph
170 ps
162 torque

theyre not 4WD

the V5 golf are fwd and mid to low 8s in the 60 dash, but from what ive read all renault engines improve with age a little like a good wine lol + what fuel are u running cos autocar tested a Mk1 172 on unleaded (95ron) with a 0-100 time of 23s than tested the same car on S unleaded (98ron) and got 18.9s BIG difference.

Running it on optimax at the moment. I was just well surprised that the lard arse golf could keep with me from the lights. Ill have to start practising my launches. Its a shame that the traffic wasnt lighter on the dual carriage way cos i kept up with him no problem and reckon i could have gone past if he pulled over.

Will the 172 get any quicker as the miles pour on? Did manage to piss on a fester rs turbo the other day, well funny cos the lad just sat on my arse revving so i could hear his dump valve for ages till i got pissed off and went for it. Fester cant have been running properly tho co i properly toasted him. They are quick cars arent they?

Quote: Originally posted by oj172 on 06 January 2003

Will the 172 get any quicker as the miles pour on? Did manage to piss on a fester rs turbo the other day, well funny cos the lad just sat on my arse revving so i could hear his dump valve for ages till i got pissed off and went for it. Fester cant have been running properly tho co i properly toasted him. They are quick cars arent they?
In standard form Fiesta RSTs are about 8 to 60, but feel quicker due to the old turbo phenomenon. Thing is......172bhp vs 130bhp in similar size cars, the 172 should toast it up the rev range, but I wouldnt be at all surprised if most turbo hot hatches (few exceptions like the MG Metro Turbo) could keep up with a 172 initially

I was dubious about whether the 172 gets quicker as the miles go up. I am the first to admit that the only 2 things I was disappointed about with the 172 was its straight line acceleration and its build quality. However, Ive just turned over 800 miles in mine, and I can honestly say it feels like its perking up at last - its starting to feel a bit looser, and I still have many miles to go until its properly run in, so Im hoping itll keep getting better and better!

Official figure is 8.1

Remember a 172 will take a few thousand miles to get loosened up. Dont get in a cup then mike, your car will feel even worse..though get in mine..and youll feel considerably better!

If it was one of the first V5s then it would have 150bhp (they increased the power later as it was slow).

Tony