ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gonna have a looksee at this valver, what should i be lookin for?

SLK 350
Rust mate, rear arches can be pretty bad sometimes.

Looks in good nick though, and unmolested. Be aswell to ask on the Williams forum mate, lot more MK1 owners there, and they know a fair bit.

nice that .

make sure all the mot's match up with the mileage and see when the last service was . ??

i had one and clutches are a little heavy so don't be suprised at that if you haven't been in one before .

good luck with it

Po-LOW
ok, been to have a look

im in love! very very good bodywork i must say however i need some advice on a few things!

the clutch is heavy, i know Tim said it will be, but im talkin really heavy! it doesnt slip and still bites so dunno if its a fault, any ideas?

the coolant is kinda rusty, and as he pointed out (very honest chap) he need to top up the oil and coolant every month or so, is this normal?

the 3rd setting (highest blow-ness!) of the heater dusnt work, he said he replaced a resister a year ago which fixed but cos its been sat its started not workin again.. big issue?

also he mentioned that cos its registered before aug 92 it dusnt need a CAT on it of the MOT.. true?

apart from that i gotta say im pretty happy with it, very honest guy and remarkbly there si NO RUST on the arches! not a smudge! cudnt believe it! tungy grey is so nice!

not decided yet as wanna shed some light on the things above, but its look promising!

cheers for help in advance guys!

MK1 Clio 16v
Looks pretty mint to be honest, and i couldn't believe the price either considering no rust and the low mileage!

I'd be a bit weary about the mileage, seems genuine and as you say seemed a nice guy, but just make sure it is genuine.

Coolant could just need changing, it's common for the expansion tank to get stained a rusty colour. Obviously, rust isn't really a good thing, and it can start to clog up your coolant pipes. Give them a squeeze in the bay to see if they feel crunchy or not. If they're crunchy then there will be a build up of rust in there so you'll need an anti-rust additive (not sure if coolant has this in), and the coolant system will need flushing out.

If the fans just don't work then thats just going to be electrical. Not a major problem to worry about and i shouldn't imagine it'd be hard to fix.

Clutches can be heavy in valvers, depending on what clutch is fitted. My valver has an insanely heavy clutch when i first got it, but it was a racing clutch so that was why.

If it's just a standard clutch then check the routing of the clutch cable through the bay. I'm sure some peeps on here can tell you where it's supposed to be routed, as if routed incorrectly it can make it heavy. I now have a standard clutch and i wouldn't say the clutch pedal is heavy anymore.

It's not unusual for valver engines to burn oil, mine does, but i know the engine is sound. I think it's just the piston rings being worn over time (correct me if i'm wrong). I have to top my valver oil up every few months. The harder i drive it, the more it burns.

Shouldn't really use coolant unless there's a leak or the headgasket needs changing. Check when this was last done, if at all.

Since my headgasket was replaced mine hasn't used any coolant whatsoever, and that was a good 8 months ago.

I say go for it, looks like a mint car, with a few minor issues to sort. Just make sure everything is genuine first!

Po-LOW
well he has stamped service book till 30k-ish miles, then he had the clocked changed by renault which i have seen and looks very muhc genuine as it state mileage at time of change too..

he did say vapor does appear from by the radiator which could expain the coollant but he saig the headsaket was ok, i checked the oild and under the cap and the ususal visual checks confirmed its ok..

hmmm, just gotta sell the RT! lol

glad you like it fella .

when i had mine i had a decat on it and it went through the mot just fine and yeah i think anything after the j reg had to have a cat .

it's also advertised on the willams clio site . maybe ask a few questions on there if it's a club car . ??

M

Mark E-J

look for rust on the inside of the rear windows around the seals

check sunroof dont leak as it is common

check steering and suspension for knocks and engine mountings when pulling away and stopping or changing direction quickly

late k plates have to have the cat

Po-LOW
so this J plate is ok to have a decat?

well, took it for a spin again tonight and am gonna buy it, clucth is very heavy but still bites and dusnt slip, just has low bite point (about 1/4-1/3) away from floor..

steering and susppention were sound and no knockin that i can feel or hear, its recently had new stering rack which is cool

just a quickie, how much am i lookin to get the clutch replaced?

seems all good :D

so this J plate is ok to have a decat?

well, took it for a spin again tonight and am gonna buy it, clucth is very heavy but still bites and dusnt slip, just has low bite point (about 1/4-1/3) away from floor..

just a quickie, how much am i lookin to get the clutch replaced?

£300 or so cash to do the clutch use a proper Renault one.

Emmissions have to be as follows
http://www.bobmckay.co.uk/p_emissions.html
So its not if your allowed a decat ts just before 1st Aug 92 emmisons are allowed to be higher.

what edde says .

where you at danny has i have used a decent clutch place in chester but prob will cost you about 300 . enjoy matey .

checking this out makes me want another . lol

Valver
Heavy clutch could be down to a non-genuine clutch cable. Anything but a Renault clutch cable and it will be heavy as f**k.

lol .

t&r clucth center 7 knutsford way 01244 390 111 .

ask for tommy or ray and they should sort you out . think they even pick up and drop off for you .