ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Good camera setup and tips for Iceland and northern lights

Mito Sportiva 135
Right, I am off to Iceland in February with my gf for a few nights away - a fantastic present which she just got me for my 30th birthday. However, she has tasked me with taking some good photos of the northern lights. I have a D5200 with an 18-105mm lens but not got a tripod as it stands - although I can get one

Just wanted some general hints and tips for how to get some stunning nights photos - as unlikely to go again I want to get some which I can be proud of

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Grab yourself a shutter release cable for long exposures. The ones you plug into the camera are better than the wireless infrared ones IMO.

There's a few pages i've seen with tips for this sort of stuff on the net. Have a look and see what you can find.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely buy a tripod.
Get this. http://www.tesco.com/direct/hama-traveller-compact-pro-tripod/210-4437.prd

It's small and light and will do the job. It's what I've used for years and I'm only just looking to upgrade due to having a bigger and heavier camera.

Puy the camera in manual mode.

Manual focus - set it to infinity. If you want to know where infinity is, with auto focus focus switched on, focus on something a long way away in the day time. Put a marker on the lens body for future reference. Tape/marker pen.
So, manual focus. Then set the aperture to f/3.5/4 whatever it goes to on that lens. You want to be shooting at 18mm so make sure you get a lot in.
Chuck the iso to between 800 & 3200. This all depends on how good your camera processes the noise. I don't know about Nikon so can't really comment. The lower the iso the lower the noise, but also the less light that will come in to the camera.
20-30 second exposures.
Use a cable release or have it on a two second delay.

Have a look on Flickr at Northern light photos. Search it with your camera model and lens and you should find some results. Then just look at the exif info.

Hopefully that'll be a decent start for you.

What tripod you looking at Aaron? Keep thinking i need to upgrade mine. Its just a little cheap light one, does the job and fits in the backpack. Its ideal but could do with something better.

Im hoping to go Iceland this year too so will look forward to seeing the pictures.

I took a D3000 2 years ago to Iceland, I didnt see the lights but theres plenty of photos to take elsewhere, the above is good advice. Focus on the moon, leave it in manual and play about with the settings, when I first went I didnt know much about photography (im still a bit s**t) but I was happy with the photos for a beginner.

Im looking into a D3300 as we speak and hoping to revisit Iceland again soon, maybe see the lights etc. Google about photographing the Aurora Borealis, theres also a few tips in general and other things like letting your camera warm up in your bag before you take it out if your in very low temperatures etc, can be handy to know.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guysampson/sets/72157626492076571/ (I know I look like a tit in the last picture)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
No worries. Hope you enjoy it over there!

Tony - I've been looking at the Manfrotto 190ProB but not sure what head to go for yet. I need something that will be more stable than the current one I have, especially as I want to be doing a lot more star trail and timelapse this year.

I'd argue the wireless shutter release are more useful - stops you pulling on the wire and moving the camera (would only do it slightly, but enough to cause issues if you're in a long exposure).

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'd also go for a wireless shutter if you can. I know the wired ones are super cheap but the lead seems to be fairly short on the cheaper ones. Saying that, I got a cheap wireless one and it only worked for a couple of weeks before packing in.
I've just got one for £25 from Amazon which has good reviews and also the intervalometer features.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I'd also go for a wireless shutter if you can. I know the wired ones are super cheap but the lead seems to be fairly short on the cheaper ones. Saying that, I got a cheap wireless one and it only worked for a couple of weeks before packing in.
I've just got one for £25 from Amazon which has good reviews and also the intervalometer features.

Have you got a link please Aaron?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Tony - I've been looking at the Manfrotto 190ProB but not sure what head to go for yet. I need something that will be more stable than the current one I have, especially as I want to be doing a lot more star trail and timelapse this year.

I've got the 190XPROB and the 804RC2 head.

It's solid as a rock!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the 190XPROB and the 804RC2 head.

It's solid as a rock!
Thats the exact setup the wife has and I really like it. Can get a new version of the legs and a ball head for £199 from our local indy - they will match WEX's prices. I'm just not sure I want a ball head as I quite like the Swivel & Tilt of the 804

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I don't like the ball heads personally, much prefer my 3-way 804.

I paid about £180 about 6 years ago for both tripod and head brand new. They're a lot more than that now!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the wife just looked and she paid £143 in 2009 for her setup.
Can find the head for £50ish though and the legs for around £100. Laura has said hers is pretty jerky though but that might be because she hardly uses it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I went to Norway last year.

I took a small tripod, camera, 50mm and a wired remote. In hindsight needed a wider lens, but had nothing suitable. As above, manual focus to infinity then bulb mode and trial and error. Amazingly you can take a tripod on an airplane in hand luggage, even though they are a proper weapon with spiked feet, I also wore boots which were steel toe'd and they are fine too, crazy times.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjenic/sets/72157646628338010

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
If you looking at a cheaper Manfrotto alternative then have a look at Redsnapper, I have had mine for about 4 years now and it is still rock solid.

Its a fair size tho isn't it?
Really want something small 1kg and 500cm folded down.

I hear the redsnappers are really good.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I opted for the newest 190 ProB today. The 4 piece leg setup so it's a bit shorter when folded down.
Went for the midi head too and I'll swap with Laura if and when I need to.
Paid £100 and a couple of old zooms that were gathering dust.

A lot sturdier that my current one but I'll be keeping the old one for when I'm abroad as it's a lot smaller/lighter than the new one although the new one isn't as heavy as I thought it would be.

Mito Sportiva 135
I went to Norway last year.

I took a small tripod, camera, 50mm and a wired remote. In hindsight needed a wider lens, but had nothing suitable. As above, manual focus to infinity then bulb mode and trial and error. Amazingly you can take a tripod on an airplane in hand luggage, even though they are a proper weapon with spiked feet, I also wore boots which were steel toe'd and they are fine too, crazy times.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjenic/sets/72157646628338010

You got some crisp photos there - I would be happy if mine are anywhere near as good!

Can anyone recommend a good/fairly cheap cable release for my Nikon D5200? I am a bit of a newby so nothing too complex - have seen some cheap ones on Amazon, but not sure whether to go for an official one? Can't see any difference except the price but like most things you often get what you pay for!
EDIT: I googled my questions posed.

Last edited: