ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Good quality thermostats

E46 M3
My car seems to be eating stats at the moment. When I bought it it needed a new one, that lasted nearly a year. The one I replaced that with has only lasted a couple of months.

First one was from a local factors, second from euro car parts.

Is getting one from renault the best option? How much are they?

monaco 172
get the renault one, its only about 20 quid. i got one from gsf for 12 quid an i dont think its operating properly as my car still seems to take forever to warm up. im gona try a renault one when i do my service in a month or so.

Westy. MX5
Have you both tested the stats in a saucepan of water to see if they open and close OK. The problem may be elsewhere.

monaco 172
i did and it seems to be open way before the water is upto 100c. not sure on the exact temp it should open up?

The temp should be stamped on the stat somewhere. Whether the ones you've fitted are operating correctly but at a different temp to the OEM ones is another matter though. Just buy a genuine one they aren't expensive.

ITB'd MK1
stats open at 89deg

seeing a number of genuine thermostats having the rubber seal around the wax stat section break up, or just pop out of place. Mostly on mk1s so far though.

Westy. MX5
It should open just before the water boils, so if you don't have a thermometer that would be good guide. As yours opens early then it would appear faulty unless you were given the wrong stat.
Have you changed the water temp sensor, could that be at fault?

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
get the renault one, its only about 20 quid. i got one from gsf for 12 quid an i dont think its operating properly as my car still seems to take forever to warm up. im gona try a renault one when i do my service in a month or so.

i got a one from GSF (Listed for 172 etc), same symptoms, on inspection it didn't fit the housing properly and not sealing. So effectively being 'open' all the time. In fact it was worse than the knackered original i took out.
Replaced with a genuine one and it was fine.
So wouldn't bother with GSF.

monaco 172
i got a one from GSF (Listed for 172 etc), same symptoms, on inspection it didn't fit the housing properly and not sealing. So effectively being 'open' all the time. In fact it was worse than the knackered original i took out.
Replaced with a genuine one and it was fine.
So wouldn't bother with GSF.

hmm, trip to renault on my next service then for sure.

yeh soot1e i changed the cts with a brand new renault part a few months back