ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Goodbye Civic Type R, Hello 172

Recently had to sell up my Civic to free up some cash, absolutely gutted to have to sell as it was a brilliant car, by far the best car i have owned

DSC06528a.jpg

DSC06523a.jpg

Picked up this completely standard 03 172 last weekend. Despite having a bad start its a great example with massive's of receipts etc, FSH, 79k, lady owner

Took 2 crap photos with the iphone and its in need of a wash

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Iv got to be honest im really not enjoying it, probably because im still gutted i had to get rid of the civic but its just like driving round in a tin can lol, its definately not as quick as the civic but had slightly more torque and it does handle better...i just forgot whats its like to own a french car

Im not sure what im going to do yet, im going to give it a chance and see if i start to like it ...anyone else take a while to warm to their 1*2's??

Ben

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Shouldn't be slower than the civic unless there's something wrong. There's genuinely nothing between them.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you don't like it, sell it.

I can guarantee you will start to throw money at it in the hope you'll fall in love with it. You won't.

RB One Eight Two
Im not sure what im going to do yet, im going to give it a chance and see if i start to like it ...anyone else take a while to warm to their 1*2's??

I fell in love with mine the moment I sat in the drivers seat. But saying that I never had a CTR before hand...

Listerine & Poledo
It is quite a downgrade, but you already knew that.

You'll find that this forum believes that the 1*2's are quite possibly the fastest vehicle ever to grace an a-road, so dont fret if you get panned for feeling shortchanged.

I moved from an MG ZR to the 172, so if anything my change was a step up! Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy it more once you point yourself at some twisty county roads, the type where you'd normally be stuck in between gears waiting for Vtec to do its thing.

Hope you do enjoy it though, nothing worse than living with a car you dont like

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
A EP Civic is not quicker than a 1*2. End.

It's pointless being trollish about it; it's simply not true. Both great cars, but I would've gone for a Ph1 or a 172 Cup.

Honda Integra Type R

It's pointless being trollish about it; it's simply not true. Both great cars, but I would've gone for a Ph1 or a 172 Cup.

I Disagree tbh.

I first got the Honda bug from my Civic Jordan sold that and bought a ph1 172 (biggest mistake of my life) to this date is the worst car i have ever owned. I currently have an Integra Type R
My Mate has also sold his EP3 due to his money situation and has been kicking himself ever since

I Work for Renault and have drove countless 1*2 and they just do not compare to Honda at all.

From the Build Quality, Comfort and Performance nothing compares.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yep. You're right.

A EP3 kills a 1*2 in a straight line. Massively quicker.

Now can we get back on topic please.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I Disagree tbh.

I first got the Honda bug from my Civic Jordan sold that and bought a ph1 172 (biggest mistake of my life) to this date is the worst car i have ever owned. I currently have an Integra Type R
My Mate has also sold his EP3 due to his money situation and has been kicking himself ever since

I Work for Renault and have drove countless 1*2 and they just do not compare to Honda at all.

From the Build Quality, Comfort and Performance nothing compares.

Thats your opinion. Its wrong, but its your opinion.

Granted the Renault build quality is poor at best, and the reliability is questionable but a CTR is not quicker than a 172/182. You can argue with me, but you'd be wrong.

Italian 3.2 V6
I can vouch that the type r isn't quicker than a 1*2. They are both on parr.

Sorry to hear your not injoying the 172!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Nope, I just see too many of these threads turn into eight pages of spam about an argument that's moot.

So please back on topic.

Astra Twintop
Looks a nice example.

If you had one before, moved on, and essentially moved back into ownership, it may take a while to "get used to" the Clio again.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
172 looks like a clean example, but if you're not liking it piling money into it wont change it..

500 Twinair
If I was going to buy a Clio 1#2 after a CTR, I would of gone for a 172 cup or 182 Trophy.
They are great hot hatches, but any CTR i have raced, has never left me, they are a touch quicker but thats it.
Start modding and you wont able to stop.

Honda Integra Type R
If I was going to buy a Clio 1#2 after a CTR, I would of gone for a 172 cup or 182 Trophy.
They are great hot hatches, but any CTR i have raced, has never left me, they are a touch quicker but thats it.
Start modding and you wont able to stop.

Good to see an Honest Clio Sport Owner ;)

I love the 1*2's, I've had loads but I really love Honda's delivery, I've owned DC5, EP3 and FN2 and I think the Honda is better but you had to sell and the 172 is not a bad car by any stretch but it's not a Honda, please don't spend loads of money modding it you won't make it better, there is no KPRO for the Renault.
The driving position doesn't help, the Honda's seats are also much better IMO, you will forget the CTR it just takes time.

Last edited:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
lol. thats what they all say. you will, i said the same thing.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Did the same swap 15 months ago.

Civic (facelift) was a nicer place to be, and had better high speed stability, as said - nothing in it in a straight line.

172 is nigh on impossible to beat for fun/£ however.

Clio RS
I looked at buying a civic after my saxo

then bought the 172
have if almost 4 years now and love it to bits

didn't think much of it at first too but now...

ibiza cupra
me and my mate (with his ctr) went to santa pod this weekend and he beat me by 0.4 of a second so they are a bit faster but not a huge amount. well his to mine anyway.
but as for your clio, you need to take it on a road trip through wales then you will see what they are all about :)

LY R26 #288
me and my mate (with his ctr) went to santa pod this weekend and he beat me by 0.4 of a second so they are a bit faster but not a huge amount. well his to mine anyway.
but as for your clio, you need to take it on a road trip through wales then you will see what they are all about :)

That doesn't mean anything really to be fair mate. Whats to say your mate wasnt the stig?! :rasp:

Evo 5 RS
Shame you had to sell your pride and joy, that's never a good feeling mate. Welcome to CS!!!

The civics are great cars! Hope you warm to your new toy.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

I cannot agree with this enough, going to a Phase 2 is not the tact id have taken myself. Still a very capable car none the less.

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
I took a while to warm to my 172. Came from an astra turbo which felt much better built tbh (even though its a vauxhall). But after you get over the creaks and rattles and get stuck into some good A or B roads I'd hope you would start to have a little fun in it.

As someone stated earlier in the thread.. £/fun ratio is hard to beat.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
My 172 is slower than nashys CTR but mine isnt running properly so that might be why...

On Topic car looks good shame you not enjoying it.. There seems to be alot more PB 172's popping up now...

Evo 5 RS
Probably isn't ^ EP3s are ever so slightly slower than 1*2s depending on who's driving. Depends (like any car) if it's been tampered with. I got caught with my pants down by a SC one from Abbey MS. Lush bus

The Civics just a much nicer place to be however. Period

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Probably isn't ^ EP3s are ever so slightly slower than 1*2s depending on who's driving. Depends (like any car) if it's been tampered with. I got caught with my pants down by a SC one from Abbey MS. Lush bus

The Civics just a much nicer place to be however. Period

Its either my noob driving or the fact the fuel/air mixture is all to s**t coz of the dodgy lambda. Have to agree with the civic being much nicer only thing i dont like about them is how small the steering wheel is