ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Goodbye Civic Type R, Hello 172

Yeah it is a fun car, had a good drive in it last nite, i think its slowly groing on me i just cant get over how small it is

Im off to Nurburgring again in June so think it woud be good to keep it for that

LY R26 #288
Yeah it is a fun car, had a good drive in it last nite, i think its slowly groing on me i just cant get over how small it is

Im off to Nurburgring again in June so think it woud be good to keep it for that

Glad to hear it. Should be even more fun when the roads are nice and dry nearer summer time. I'm really looking forward to it.

racing blue 182
mine has grown on me,when i first bought it i wasn't overly impressed but i love it now

looks a nice example mate

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
If its noticably slower..... maybe the timing is out? Might be worth having that checked before anything

Z4
Wouldn't have thought it would be slower than an ep3..nothing you should notice anyway.

My old 172 cup was even stevens with my mates ep3 facelift, if anything it had a slight edge.

It was also neck and neck with another friends mk1 frs until silly numbers...

Saying that, you may have a bad'un, they all vary in power, french consistansy for you!

Can't believe you sold your civic for that.........

I had to

Wouldn't have thought it would be slower than an ep3..nothing you should notice anyway.

My old 172 cup was even stevens with my mates ep3 facelift, if anything it had a slight edge.

It was also neck and neck with another friends mk1 frs until silly numbers...

Saying that, you may have a bad'un, they all vary in power, french consistansy for you!

mmm tbh im probably not being fair to it after only owning it a week, tbh there isnt alot in it :eek:

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
anyway isn't the civic in the megane/GTI/focus ST class? would be normal for it to be faster than a clio, and the fact that it's not that much faster only proves that the clio is a good car
get some sportlines, an rs tuner remap and an exhaust- basic cheap mods- and I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

Turbos.
Yes, true, the Civic is actually a Golf class car, not a supermini.

Personally think the CTR has a nice engine and 'box, thats about it. The ride is stupid stiff and they are ugly as sin.

The Clio's cost pennies these days, don't see how you could complain about them...

keo

Clio Trophy
i had a prem type r and hated it, the engine and box are mint and i agree they are alot better built, was quicker than the clio though

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I have an EP3 (05) and a Clio 182 Cup (05)

The power delivery on the two cars is so different you have to drive them completely differently.

Driving them back to back there is little difference in acceleration - only at the bigger figures the EP seems to reach them easier and faster.
Handling is better in the 182 Cup - a dream and very predictable, the EP can catch you out a bit with Bridgestones on cold/wet roads.

I would find it difficult to part with either of them at the moment.

keo

Clio Trophy
trophy with ep3 engine and gearbox would be a dream oh and a sprinkle of honda build quality :)

JMR

RB 182 Cup
If they're the RE040 please put them in the bin.

They truly are the most un-nerving tyre I've had in the wet. :(
I have 5-6mm of tread on all four tyres [two brand new were fitted by Honda when I bought the car] and I've replaced two on the drivers side due to wear on one and a puncture on the other.]

I was going to replace them with Yoko PS-2's, and might just change the front ones soon tbh. Or go for Michelins or Contis.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
They're a scary tyre in the wet, truly dreadful.

On mine I upped to 215/45R17 with no trouble on the OE wheel, put Goodyear Assyms on there and have some confidence back lol.

When i was selling my Type R I put 4 new budgets on to get it through the MOT, at £45 a corner....now that was scary

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id get the timing checked, as there isnt anything in it between the 2, my last 172 had a few goodies 182 manifold, matched inlets, decat, k-tec stealth etc and ran 190bhp and i chased one from a rolling 40mph, i started behind him and didnt pass him till 140 odd so a standard one should be on par, ctr might have the legs over 100 slightly

also that exhaust looks cheap and nasty, a car at the scottish RR day had one like that and it ran 120 odd bhp, took it back a week later with a standard system on it and it done 170 odd

Never above 25mpg
Surprised you're not happy with it Ben.

Maybe a bit of lowering and seatage will get you feeling better towards it?

id get the timing checked, as there isnt anything in it between the 2, my last 172 had a few goodies 182 manifold, matched inlets, decat, k-tec stealth etc and ran 190bhp and i chased one from a rolling 40mph, i started behind him and didnt pass him till 140 odd so a standard one should be on par, ctr might have the legs over 100 slightly

also that exhaust looks cheap and nasty, a car at the scottish RR day had one like that and it ran 120 odd bhp, took it back a week later with a standard system on it and it done 170 odd

Yeah read post 47, i agree there isnt alot in it

Its the standard exhaust, its just hanging down

Surprised you're not happy with it Ben.

Maybe a bit of lowering and seatage will get you feeling better towards it?

It really is growing on me day by day mate, its just getting used to how small and french it is, its staying 100% standard though as I dont have the money to mod

Have you still got yours??

JMR

RB 182 Cup
They're a scary tyre in the wet, truly dreadful.

On mine I upped to 215/45R17 with no trouble on the OE wheel, put Goodyear Assyms on there and have some confidence back lol.

When i was selling my Type R I put 4 new budgets on to get it through the MOT, at £45 a corner....now that was scary

Arse end is more nervous I find with the B/Stones

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah read post 47, i agree there isnt alot in it

Its the standard exhaust, its just hanging down

It really is growing on me day by day mate, its just getting used to how small and french it is, its staying 100% standard though as I dont have the money to mod

Fabia splitter wouldn't go a miss and only £12;).

Never above 25mpg

Aha I've had two BMs in the time of owning the Clio(trying to sell it anyway)... Never minded going back to it but now I've sorted the things out it needed doing I've rerealised what a good thing it is!

Could have a mini meet on Sunday if you wanted as I'll be on the A303 sometime in the afternoon?