ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Goodwood Crash

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It is quite a shocking crash, the wheel managed to miss anyone and amazingly no one was in the tunnel, although there was a rather more serious one later in the day which resulted in the guy getting airlifted to hospital.

I was watching the live stream for the second one and you knew it was serious when they didn't show any replays.

Hopefully they can make modifications to the circuit rather than stop the racing there.

Swift Sport
It is quite a shocking crash, the wheel managed to miss anyone and amazingly no one was in the tunnel, although there was a rather more serious one later in the day which resulted in the guy getting airlifted to hospital.

I was watching the live stream for the second one and you knew it was serious when they didn't show any replays.

Hopefully they can make modifications to the circuit rather than stop the racing there.

Yeah I watched the live stream and annoyingly missed the second big crash while I was at the loo...
The whole event was spoilt this year by the amount of crashes and red flags. You wouldn't think they were racing in exotic machinery worth millions of pounds would you!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Yeah I watched the live stream and annoyingly missed the second big crash while I was at the loo...
The whole event was spoilt this year by the amount of crashes and red flags. You wouldn't think they were racing in exotic machinery worth millions of pounds would you!
No you definitely wouldn't! Did you see the AC Cobra that had a nasty smash into the wall. Looked expensive!

That's what is fantastic about all the goodwood events though, they get used properly and it would be a real shame if they had to make it more tame, but equally this weekend seemed a bit silly with the amount of crashes and the potential for a fatality with the one that fell into the tunnel is massive.

Quite staggering no one was more seriously injured, I beleive the driver made it out with a broken collarbone.

Swift Sport
No you definitely wouldn't! Did you see the AC Cobra that had a nasty smash into the wall. Looked expensive!

That's what is fantastic about all the goodwood events though, they get used properly and it would be a real shame if they had to make it more tame, but equally this weekend seemed a bit silly with the amount of crashes and the potential for a fatality with the one that fell into the tunnel is massive.

Quite staggering no one was more seriously injured, I beleive the driver made it out with a broken collarbone.

Yeah, I mean there's always a few with battle scars but this event was worse than usual wasn't it. I know many of the race cars are replicas but they're still going to be worth a lot of money!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
As you say there are accidents each event, and with the amount of racing they get through its no surprise.

I think the seriousness of these accidents is what is shocking, and it's all to do with the circuit. I think I saw on Pistonheads earlier someone said how modern circuits are branded boring for the wide open run offs but this weekend probably proved why they are needed.

I'd imagine the owners of the cars will think twice about racing them if the accidents happen like this weekend, it can't be nice having to stomach the bill.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Its not jus the run offs, the lack of catch fencing is pretty bad. I didn't realise it was still legit to race on a circuit as "old school" as Goodwood. While its nice that its a period correct circuit racing vintage cars, there is that element of danger. Both with the classic cars safety and the track.

And to defend Goodwood, a chap lost his life at Silverstone Classic last year or the year before. And thats a modern circuit with all the safety of run off zones etc.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Yeah, your never going to remove the risk to drivers completely, that's just a factor of the classic cars.

Spectator safety needs addressing I'd say though.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Classic car racing is violent as f**k.

Wasn't actually near fatal, suffered a broken collarbone and 'just' knocked out, but still a very nasty shunt - you can hear the POK! as the helmet hits the ground.

Clio 172
Me and @Mr Burns was at donnington a couple of years ago, and a driver was killed in a classic mini. It's more of how the safety of cars have come on more so than the circuits. Classic cars are dangerous, and I guess the drivers know this, and understand the risk before racing. Probably more of a buzz.

Its not jus the run offs, the lack of catch fencing is pretty bad. I didn't realise it was still legit to race on a circuit as "old school" as Goodwood. While its nice that its a period correct circuit racing vintage cars, there is that element of danger. Both with the classic cars safety and the track.

And to defend Goodwood, a chap lost his life at Silverstone Classic last year or the year before. And thats a modern circuit with all the safety of run off zones etc.

It was 2014 😞 air ambulance landed on the track! Irrc it was a 60s race