ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google maps

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Been using Google Maps now for a while to plot my own routes,only trouble im finding is that on route it still wants to take me on different roads to what i have plotted.Is there a way round this so it just sticks to what i have set out?

Or even a better App?

TYRE or ITNConverter. Also allows you to export the route files so you can pre-programme your preferred satnav device.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I use Tyre and an ancient TomTom XL I picked up on eBay for a tenner, but they really do the job well.

That said, there absolutely must be a better solution out there that allows you to use current tech without having to go 10 years back in time.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yep there must be mate,like a decent app as its nice & easy just to use your phone.Google maps is fine until it starts to add other routes to what you have set & sometimes gets confusing if your still on the right route. @Tim.

ITNConverter exports to Google Maps but it's a bit clunky to use in Maps, as you have to manually mark each waypoint visited.

I personally continue to use a standalone GPS device specifically as I like to pre-programme routes. All modern TomTom and Garmin devices have this capability but I actually prefer older TomTom devices as I find the map rendering on them far better than newer models.

For an app-based solution with this functionality check out Scenic or inRoute.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
This is exactly something that I wanted as I made a 80 mile route around the peaks to enjoy some of the best routes.

What I want to do is go on Google maps, plan the route by drawing where I wish to go, save that and Google maps will read out that exact route but nope.... Will take you the shortest way and that's even if you add loads of checkpoints.

It's an absolute nightmare and I'm surprised there isn't something properly out there for this very reason, especially as the car scene / driving scene is so big.

Not sure about Android but Scenic and InRoute (both iOS only) are two apps that import GPX files.

Various programs such as Garmin BaseCamp, TomTom MyRouteApp, TYRE, ITNConverter allow you to plan routes and export them to GPX files.

Clio 197
Make GPX files online/using your favourite software and import using a GPX reader on your phone. Plenty of options out there as bikers tend to also do this.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
When are you off on your trip @MrBlonde?

Im just planning my route for next weekend - plotting it in Tyre which I’ll save as a TomTom itinerary file (.itn) which I can then load onto my TomTom. I think it’s limited to 48 waypoints though.

Saturday home > Aberystwyth, then Sunday the return leg.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
When are you off on your trip @MrBlonde?

Im just planning my route for next weekend - plotting it in Tyre which I’ll save as a TomTom itinerary file (.itn) which I can then load onto my TomTom. I think it’s limited to 48 waypoints though.

Saturday home > Aberystwyth, then Sunday the return leg.

Not started a route yet but,spending 2 days in the Brecons then upto Snowdonia for 2 nights mate

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Oh sorry mate going up on thursday then back on monday,your doing the same yep? @Tim.
I’m doing one night only, so it’ll be an early start on Saturday from near Reading, bang out as many miles as I can and end up in Aberystwyth for the night, all solo.

Sunday I’d like to hook up with the Trophys for a short while first thing, although there could end up being less than 5 of us this year, but my route is completely unplanned.
Got pre-made Wales route files here if anyone needs them.
I’m always up for new routes and roads to try, I’ll drop you a PM 👍

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Sorry it’s a bit late, just a quick one. I’m off on a trip from Durham to Fort William soon and I’d like to plan a trip route wise on my desk top using google maps, could I save that route onto a USB and put transfer that file to my car? Using my Apple Car Play or whatever it’s called?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Never had any issues in Google maps? Make the route in a PC and you can drag it to wherever you want, Share the link to your phone then click it when you want to use it?

Copilot is a decent app for route planning as well, More directed at bikes but still seems pretty useable for cars

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Google maps for me, it's so simple and works off voice commands, android auto etc.

Avoid tolls and all that jazz.

One thing I do wish it could do though (and google knows every inch of the planet it seems!) is to avoid roads with speed bumps! :ROFLMAO:

The limitation of Google Maps when using turn-by-turn directions is you have to manually mark waypoints as visited.

Not used it myself but heard good things about Scenic - iOS only though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
An interesting thread this - it's almost like the absolute inverse of what we got Microsoft MapPoint to do all those years ago at work.

Literally planning the most efficient route around several destinations - which makes sense for the commercial environment, but not so much when you want to drive for the sake of it.