ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google Nexus 4

Whatsapp is completely fine on the battery side of things.

Use Whatsapp/Hangouts (Google's own Android messenger which can be used on PC or iOS)/FB Messenger for your international texting needs.

2014 Focus Titanium
Not for me dude, not feeling it at all. Android is horrific, it looks cheap and everything feels like an 'add-on'. In iOS everything feels integrated, it looks nice and does everything I need it too. Not that Android doesn't, it's just horrible to use. All my opinion of course, at least I gave it a go. Hundreds wouldn't.

So a smooth 3D image looks cheap compared to iOS's 2D 5 year old layout. Lol. Weird, I don't get the add on thing either but, like you say at least you gave it a go and that's your own personal opinion that you're entitled to.

I love the app drawer in android. One thing I didn't like about iOS was all the apps you didn't want on your home you couldn't move unless you put them in a folder. The app drawer keeps my home screens looking nice and minimal. And widgets too, my calendar/email widgets get used a lot, as well as my weather one, so I don't have to physically open apps to glance at stuff. Oh and the notification drawer is far more usable in Android, so much more features to it.

Anyway I'm/we're turning this into an Android vs iOS thread again so I'll apologise and let this become about the Nexus 4 again!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
The Ringke Slim case is really good, so thin it hardly feels like there is a case on it. Avoid the bumper if possible, it make it feel huge.

​Dont suppose you fancy splitting your Ringke case then? Or is it cheap enough new?

work for BMW
i have let a friend know about it but i dont think he wants to spend so much.

In other news i have just downloaded the full pokemon gold game as an app!!!! im going to get addicted

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
4th day of ownership and I love it, so fast, the screen is great and it's so customisable! Amazing phone!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
i have to agree, im currently uploading my music to the google music app thing!

Battery life isnt fantastic but i can get a day with very heavy use so not worried with that as its no worse than the iP5. I very much prefer the layout and the customisable settings and apps!

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
I don't know how anyone can say vanilla Android on the Nexus 4 is complicated. If you get confused with a back, a home and multitask button, you probably shouldn't be using a phone.

i have to agree, im currently uploading my music to the google music app thing!

Battery life isnt fantastic but i can get a day with very heavy use so not worried with that as its no worse than the iP5. I very much prefer the layout and the customisable settings and apps!

Take a look at an app called Tasker (One of the main reasons I own an Android) It's a bit confusing at first with it's steep learning curve but once you crack it it's brilliant in automating your phone and saving battery.

For example, when I connect to work or my home Wifi it will turn off my passkey on my phone so I don't have it enter it - it will also turn my signal onto 2G to save battery. I have also set it up to turn my bluetooth off after 3 minutes if it doesn't connect to my headset etc.

The possibilities of it are endless - send automatic text replies when you are driving, text the mrs when you leave a certain area (work for example) or even set up an alarm that can only be turned off when you touch your phone against an NFC sticker (I have mine in the bathroom so it makes me get up for work and I don't just end up pressing snooze.

2014 Focus Titanium
I don't know how anyone can say vanilla Android on the Nexus 4 is complicated. If you get confused with a back, a home and multitask button, you probably shouldn't be using a phone.

Completely agree. I honestly don't see how people say android is "too fussy" or "over complicated".

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of good apps I've found:
Notify Me! - gives a pop up notification that can be set to various apps such as texts, email, Facebook, twitter etc.
Settings Extended - places a battery percentage in the top right hand corner of the notifications tray, also puts some selectable quick settings in the pull down notifications screen.

Why are you selling up? Just can't get on with Android?

My girlfriend has the phone and I think it's fantastic. Better than any iPhone IMO.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Miss iMessage, it just works so well, miss having a phone that tells me when I have messages, emails and facebook notifications etc etc, Yes I know can get apps that make it so i can, but they never seem to work well in my experience. The nexus is a great bit of kit, just don't think it's very good as a phone.

I must be the only person in the world that don't see the point in iMessage - Majority of people in the country have unlimited texts so the only difference in my book would be that the bubble is green.

Pictures etc? I have Whatsapp and so does everybody else.
Read receipts etc would be good - if you couldn't turn them off!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I don't get the whole thing with iMessage either. And like I said earlier, Notify Me! works perfectly and is really good.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
iMessage is good cos I live in a place with piss poor signal, so them sending over wifi is great. What's apps slow in comparison.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Or if you travel worldwide etc... I just use WhatsApp as it's just like iMessage and only requires a data connection.

​I'm gonna wait for the S4 Google Edition I think

Bumder With A Buffer
There is another app called viber which can send messages etc all through wifi.

Free on android and iPhone I believe. Much better then Whatsapp