ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google Nexus 5

Rav4
Mine ordered last week, for delivery but sent to the wrong depot.

Been hearing issues about the camera, being slower than the N4, I wonder if this is true. If so, probably a software fix.

I hope I can get along with Android.

The official bumper case is not yet available. But no doubt will be a very good fit. Just a little expensive! Being such a large phone, a bulky case is a no no!

2014 Focus Titanium
Gonna get a QI charger too. Awesome :D

I saw the "Tap and Pay" option in settings and got excited but it's not enabled in the UK yet, I was hoping 4.4 would enable it for us :(

1.8 Civic EX
need more info on this. seriously tempted as my iphone 4 is basically dead now and as I'm on a sim only tarrif I'm not willing to pay Apples rediculous handset only prices.

someone sell it to me.......pros/cons etc?

need more info on this. seriously tempted as my iphone 4 is basically dead now and as I'm on a sim only tarrif I'm not willing to pay Apples rediculous handset only prices.

I'm more than likely to get one now my 4S is nearly dead. I am neither an Apple fanboy or Android lover so not being bias either way. These of course are my opinions and not everyone will agree!

Pros:

Stunning screen. Its big, bright and HD. I am on the train a lot more these days and finding the iPhone just too small for films and games.
It's much faster than my iPhone 4S. Having pure android without HTC sense etc, it really is brisk.
Lots of apps, plenty of online support.
Nice in the hand.
Plain and simple design - just what I like!

Cons:

BIG! On the limit of phone size. Its not too big, but for me, I wouldn't want anything any bigger.

Overall its an excellent device, if you don't mind the size. For me its probably the perfect phone as I dont like fancy looking phones. Build quality is excellent, even if the back and sides are plastic- they are quality plastic. Its not iPhone quality, but its much better than the Samsung S4 and I prefer it to the HTC one.

I will miss my iPhone, but its no longer meeting my needs.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Compare it to the iPhone 5s and this is how it looks:

2gb ram vs the 5s' 1gb
quad core processor vs the 5s' dual core
2300mAh battery vs the 5s' 1560mAh
4.95inch screen vs the 5s' 4inch

There's more if you look into it a bit.

Performance wise I think they are pretty equal...

According to GFXBench, the iPhone 5S and Nexus 5 are pretty much neck and neck in a recent graphics benchmark test. The Nexus 5 scored 23.1 frames per second and the iPhone 5S scored 23 fps.

Nexus has a 1920×1080 display (445 ppi). The 5s has a 4-inch, 1136 x 640 pixel (326ppi) which is pretty impressive from LG.

2014 Focus Titanium
Can I ask why? It's one of those things ive never got..

Yeah you can :D At work I charge my phone when I'm sat at my desk, but I probably get called away from my desk maybe 20-30 times a day, it's a pain in the ass constantly plugging and unplugging. Would just be easier to sit it on a mat!

The Nexus phone never seem to score too well in benchmark test.

Yeah the screen is nice.

Part of that is because (see JJ's post) the amount of pixels it's pushing. 2,073,600 (Nexus) vs 727,040 (5s), and the 5s is no slouch so it shows just how much of a beast the Nexus is!

On another note, I'm absolutely loving mine! The only thing I'm missing from Sense 5 is the contact linking. Need to find an app/way to do it nicely in stock Android. Time to do some research...

Last edited:
Spigen have a couple of cases already available. Although might wait too see what the official bumper case is like first.

LY 182
Hopefully getting mine tomorrow! This thing is going to be an absolutely joy to use upgrading from my iPhone 4 that's now slow as hell.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hopefully getting mine tomorrow! This thing is going to be an absolutely joy to use upgrading from my iPhone 4 that's now slow as hell.

I'll be interested to see how you get on.

I'm way too dependant on iMessage and I've seriously bought into iOS app wise, it would hurt to move. Camera isn't quite where it needs to be either.

I'm way too dependant on iMessage and I've seriously bought into iOS app wise, it would hurt to move. Camera isn't quite where it needs to be either.

I have no idea how I will get on with it! Have got so used to my 4S since release day I have no idea how I will cope with the change.

LY 182

I've got to the stage where my 4 is so slow I really don't care about iOS. Logic dictates that it's clearly the hardware and not the OS that's the issue here, but in a way it's made me curious to try Android which I don't think is a bad thing.

Also the bigger screen will be a big positive for me being a commuter.

2014 Focus Titanium

Can't believe I just fell for this blatant attempt to get hits to a s**t website. I'm ashamed of myself :(

Being a more "on the fence" person Tom I think you'd really like the Nexus. However as you say app-wise it might be a bit of a sting.

Regards to the camera, I doubt the N5 will be as good as the 5s but that doesn't really bother me. I use my phone to take snaps of the moment rather than artistic wonders (I have a DSLR for that). However, I might do some side-by-side comparisons today with my Mum's iPhone 5 to see what difference there is with that (I know the 5s has a better camera but I don't have one to compare with, only a 5 or 5c).

Just seen hands on review of the bumper case. No likey! It's quite bulky and will be looking elsewhere.

work for BMW
If any of you iPhone fanboys are pondering wether to make the swap to a nexus .. Do it, I can guarantee you will not regret the decision one bit and you will ask your self why you didn't do it sooner
Mark my words !

Rav4
Mine should be for delivery today hopefully, 32GB in black.

My colleague got his yesterday, both moving from iOS.

Need to get used to or be able to configure the notifications, plus why do you need to hit enter on the lock screen once you put your pin in. Annoying.

Camera doesn't seem too slow.

I'll have a proper play once I get my own one, I think I will struggle as I do like iOS's logical menu. But change is good.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Because its not a 4 digit pin you can have as many characters as you like. You're not just limited to pin codes anyway, there are other methods of unlocking.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
What is so logical and what is so illogical with the ios / android menus. You've mentioned this before and I don't quite understand?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Fwiw I moved from a 4s last year to a nexus 4 and I have zero regrets....only that android didn't reach this this level earlier!

Rav4
What is so logical and what is so illogical with the ios / android menus. You've mentioned this before and I don't quite understand?

Good memory.

If I add an Exchange account for instance on Android, it will ask me if I want that to include my Calendar/Email/Contacts. If I don't want my contacts to be synced, so I remove it from the automated selection.

The contacts will still display from my Exchange account, I have to then go into "people" select "contacts to display" and then remove my "corporate" account from there, that stops them being displayed.

If I choose not to have my contacts synced, why do I need to do this?

Maybe it's be not understanding it properly
on the iPhone, I do not need to worry about this, just untick it from one location and sorted.

Clio Trophy
i dont think the jump in tech between the 4 and 5 is all that good to warrant me upgrading from the 4, ill wait another 12months for the version

2014 Focus Titanium
i dont think the jump in tech between the 4 and 5 is all that good to warrant me upgrading from the 4, ill wait another 12months for the version

For me the screen and processor alone would be worth the upgrade. But the Nexus 4 is still a very capable device!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

I thought that. I can't believe the difference in speed!

I have one niggle, only 2 home screens......I want 5 without having to install a launcher like Nova. I've had the option of upto 7 homescreens since I had my HTC desire, and I've no wish to lose them.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

I have one niggle, only 2 home screens......I want 5 without having to install a launcher like Nova. I've had the option of upto 7 homescreens since I had my HTC desire, and I've no wish to lose them.

Same as going from my One X. I don't mind it though.

2014 Focus Titanium

Am I missing something here? I've got four home screens.

1.8 Civic EX
I've given in, 32gb White ordered. Bye bye iPhone 4. This is turning out to be one damned expensive month!