ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google Nexus Player

Rav4
Hey,
Looks good > https://www.google.com.au/nexus/player/
Need something purely for Plex.
Considering Apple have not pulled their fingers out and I have everything being in iTunes, as I have a Plex server. Considering getting rid of my Apple TV's (2's and 3's) and just getting some of these.
Anyone else semi excited (sad I know) ?
Thanks

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I was just about to start a thread on this.

I currently run an ATV 3 in my bedroom, which is good as I use it for Netflix and YouTube, but I would like it to run XBMC. In the mancave I have a Raspberry Pi which runs RaspBMC. I use this for watching my american shows.

Now I've always debated getting a jailbroken ATV but they are just as slow and clunky as the Pi. This however is QuadCore, 1GB RAM etc etc and the latest XBMC release (Gotham) is stable and running on x86 Android. This could be a perfect, easy and cheap way to run XBMC quickly and nativley without jailbreaking or rooting.

I'll be pre-ordering one today when they eventually update the store.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols! I actually just read that entire post and understood 3 words! What a noob!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! I actually just read that entire post and understood 3 words! What a noob!

In simple terms XBMC is an OS/App which can be run on various devices. On the Apple TV(ATV) this requires jailbreaking (installing a cracked OS).

RaspberryPi is a very small computer in essence which you can install any OS on. But now this nexus player is around you can hopefully just install the XBMC app that's already available and go from there. Really simple to do!

Rav4
two companies that are annoying me at the moment are Google (for this issue of not being available in the UK) and Apple, for the new release of the Mac Mini, having soldered RAM and no Quad Core. Plonkers

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Is it definitely not coming to the UK? It just not available yet?
I'm quite interested in getting one. Maybe import one if people manage to get it running over here.