ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GoPro external microphones?

Just get a generic cheap omni-directional lav mic from eBay. I paid circa £10 and it's more than adequate.

Cool. I saw a few of these on eBay.

Do you have a Hero3? It seems you need an adapter cable as there's mic in slot.

In which case you'd need a separate mount for the MIC lol!!?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nope HD 2 for me so a standard 3.5 mm jack which gives a nice two-channel stereo format instead of the standard in-built mic's useless mono.

I've never really looked into or at a 3 so couldn't even suggest what's best!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
For an external mic on the Hero 3 it works off the mini usb port. So you need a mini usb to 3.5mm jack adaptor first, then use any mic of your choice.

Nope HD 2 for me so a standard 3.5 mm jack which gives a nice two-channel stereo format instead of the standard in-built mic's useless mono.

I've never really looked into or at a 3 so couldn't even suggest what's best!

For an external mic on the Hero 3 it works off the mini usb port. So you need a mini usb to 3.5mm jack adaptor first, then use any mic of your choice.

Yeah I knew an adapter was needed for the mini USB port. That would then mean you'd have a MIC hanging loose from the adapter cable and would then need a separate mount or something to hold the MIC up and in a fixed position?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If you get a lav mic it'll be on a lengthy wire with a clip for attachment anyway. When using it with my HD2 hand held I just clip the mic to the jack plug sticking out from the side of the camera.

If you get a lav mic it'll be on a lengthy wire with a clip for attachment anyway. When using it with my HD2 hand held I just clip the mic to the jack plug sticking out from the side of the camera.

Cool. Just realised you'd have to drill a hole in the casing too. Hmmmmm not sure if I want to do that just yet. Would make it non waterproof.

You do indeed! Get another case? I've never done the underwater thing with mine so was happy taking a Dremel to it.

Yeah thinking about it. I'll probably never do anything underwater anyway. And can always get another case if need be. Just feel a bit protective over it as it's so new and expensive lol!!

This one looks alright doesn't it? Plugs straight in with no need for an adapter..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151389126605?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That looks good enough although there's no mention of it being a two-channel stereo microphone; looks like mono only.

That's your choice...while using my lav mic in its mono setting there is a marked improvement over what the GoPro in-built mic picks up there's no substitute for the much fuller and richer sound from a stereo mic input.

That looks good enough although there's no mention of it being a two-channel stereo microphone; looks like mono only.

That's your choice...while using my lav mic in its mono setting there is a marked improvement over what the GoPro in-built mic picks up there's no substitute for the much fuller and richer sound from a stereo mic input.

Bugger, good point.

I searched for lav mic on the eBay page but nothing came up. I'll do some more detailed searches now.

EDIT: It does say stereo in the title??

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If you're using it where it doesn't need to be waterproof or protected. You can the 'The Frame' GoPro mount, which saves you drilling the case.

It already has holes cut out.

Edit: It actually comes with a protective lens cover actually.

If you're using it where it doesn't need to be waterproof or protected. You can the 'The Frame' GoPro mount, which saves you drilling the case.

It already has holes cut out.

Edit: It actually comes with a protective lens cover actually.

£30 though right??

EDIT: Oh no found them for cheap on eBay

So it does...I missed that too!

Worth a punt then I'd say.

So I received the MIC and tested it out last night. Two videos back to back, playing music in my room. One with the MIC and one without.

Loaded them onto the PC and the sound quality is exactly the same according to the video editor I use.

How is that possible lol? The MIC is stereo and the GoPro is only Mono....

How can I check that the MIC is actually what it says it is and not just some fake cheap crap lol!!??

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So I received the MIC and tested it out last night. Two videos back to back, playing music in my room. One with the MIC and one without.

Loaded them onto the PC and the sound quality is exactly the same according to the video editor I use.

How is that possible lol? The MIC is stereo and the GoPro is only Mono....

How can I check that the MIC is actually what it says it is and not just some fake cheap crap lol!!??
You can see both separate left and right audio channels recorded using the external mic?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know what you mean? :blush:
GoPro yeah?
In your software? When you import the audio can you see the audio wave form as a wave image against a timescale? If so and if it's stereo you can normally see two waveforms marked L and R.

Stick a picture up of what hardware/mic you have? Are there any settings on the mic to switch from mono to stereo?