ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got an exhaust rattle..

2002/02 172
One garage says its the CAT another says its the springs that join the CAT to the front section? The springs hold the join together and provide flexibility, apparently. I can remember seeing them under there at some point but can't picture how they work.

I can't be bothered to get my knees dirty to look under there right now, so does anyone have any piccies or can describe how they keep the join together?

Anyone else had the 4000rpm exhaust rattle and how did you fix it?

BTW I've modded the back box mount in line with advice on this forum so it's not that.... deffo from the CAT area...

BMW M3
Their basically your simple nut and bolt, joining the two section together via the gasket, but with a tough spring in between ( on the cat side of the joint) to provide flexability.

The 4k rattle is a common problem but i cant remember what it was..... ive not had it. Sure someone will tell you soon.

top of the pyramid
does anyone get a knocking on the bottem of there car when they accelerate hard from a stand still, my system does getting abit annoying how can i fix it ? abit of rubber?

Ph 1 172
ive got this noise to but i thought it was just a renault thing...lol. is it urgent if this noise is happening or can it just be left?? or be fixed when my mot is due?

182 CLIO SPORT
ive got this noise to but i thought it was just a renault thing...lol. is it urgent if this noise is happening or can it just be left?? or be fixed when my mot is due?
I had this rattle, i went down to my uncles garage and took the cat off and cheaked every thing. it was all ok. i put it all back on and put a new clamp on were the system joins the cat. started it up and it was gone. lol. so it wasn't my exhaust.

2002/02 172
fixed it today!! 4k rattle gone!!

It was the spring as above... the left hand of the two springs was totally loose and when mate revved it whilst I was under looking the thing rattled like billyo between 4000-4500rpm

2002/02 172
how many posts before I can post attachments? I have photos of the springs in situ and off the car

basically tensioned the spring again by putting a 2mm washer between the spring and the carrier. Job done.

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
how many posts before I can post attachments? I have photos of the springs in situ and off the car

basically tensioned the spring again by putting a 2mm washer between the spring and the carrier. Job done.

You need to pay your fiver... (or post a link to Photobucket)

Would you be so kind as to Email me the pic? :D I've got problems with mine.. very long story.. lol

1998 BMW e46 323i
I've had this rattle since I put a whole new system on my 172. I've suspected the springs myself, but it's a bugger of a job to stick new ones on...

The noise is doing my head in though.

Anyone know if you can buy new springs from Reno?

2002/02 172
no need to buy new springs, just a washer slightly filed down to fit in the spring carrier will do

although I'm not sure how a steel spring creeps and it loses compression?!! something must have fallen out...

am i really going to have to pay £5 to post a reasonably useful picture? I never had to on seatenthusiasts...... maybe it's just cos they were bigger...

2002/02 172
Ok, my lazy fit has ended and I've registered on Putfile....

First photo is springs on the car. Left spring was very loose.

Second photo is the spring assembly removed. Put a washer where the black arrow is. You can't put a wsher where the red arrow is cos it just falls through the exhaust flange. This was very annoying cos it was the first method I tried....

1998 BMW e46 323i
ok, thanks for that...

I remember mine already has washers on it, so I'm going to have to add some more or maybe buy some new springs from the stealers.

Pictures are helpful.

Cheers, John

2002/02 172
btw if the washer is too big to fit in the spring cup to the right of the black arrow it needs to be filed down. That way the spring is still located by the cup type thing (technical term).

I used an M10 washer from a generic DIY store, was about 25mm OD iirc....

yep they connect the exhaust down pipe to the CAT. The picture is looking towards the front of the car, the pipe you can see coming out of the photo is going to the CAT just above my head!!

Last edited:
  2002/02 172
nahh, cos the nut tightens the spring cup right up to the shank of the bolt (shown by the black arrow again) so simply tightening the nut can't compress the spring anymore.

1998 BMW e46 323i
just got off the phone to Renault. spring-loaded bolt kit is £12.45 plus vodka and tonic. not a bad price really, considering their usual pricing.

fingers crossed this will put pay to at least one annoying rattle.

2002/02 172
thats not a bad price at all, I think if/when the rattle starts again I will replace with new but for the meantime I'm happy with my fix!! Still working this morning anyway.

Let me know how you get on with the new springs, fingers crossed...