ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got my new car

Hi Everyone...

Ive parted with my Clio and brought a Focus ST170.... Ive already started modding it... Got a remap and underdrive pulleys so far it should be pulling 185ish bhp going to dyno prove that soon... Very nice car handles extremely well... I hope I can still be welcome here though...

A bit of a strange decision but they are really nice handling cars and despite the sheer numbers of Focuses (Foci?!) around the ST170s look quite classy IMO.

-Rob

Abarth 500

Havent they bought out/about to bring out a new Focus?

ps - was on a track day with a modded ST170. It went well enough till his clutch went bang :cry:

Quote: Originally posted by shmall on 13 December 2004

What made you choose an ST170 over a CLIO 182?

Simon.
I had so many problems with my Clio I just didnt want another French car plus I found the clio to be rather small as im over 6ft..... Focus is just about the right size me thinks and with a few mods it will be a pretty quick hot hatch...

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 13 December 2004

Got a remap and underdrive pulleys so far it should be pulling 185ish bhp

Trouble is you have to mod it over 210bhp just to have the same power to weight as a 182 clio, as they weight almost 1300kgs.

still, each to there own.

Simon.
BTW, Im over 6 and no problems in my clio :) but agree there are not very reliable, but then again, neither are FORDs....;)

Quote: Originally posted by Silver on 13 December 2004

nice motor mate, wot colour?

ya really have to rev em to get the best out of them.
Its a grey one.... I dont find you have to rev em that much, a lot less than the type r anyway but when im giving it some i go to the limit anyway...,

Got a remap and underdrive pulleys so far it should be pulling 185ish bhp

Trouble is you have to mod it over 210bhp just to have the same power to weight as a 182 clio, as they weight almost 1300kgs.

still, each to there own.

Simon.
BTW, Im over 6 and no problems in my clio :) but agree there are not very reliable, but then again, neither are FORDs....;)

True but remember what NA engine is going to the new Caterham..with 260+bhp.

-Rob

Is it the focus zetec ST170 engine by any chance? lol

If so I bet it will cost quite a bit to up it to 260bhp in the focus? judging by how much mine is to try and get over 320bhp? ;) (less of an increase)

Nice though if it can be done cheaply

Simon.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Nice one mate, i can understand y u got rid of the clio, i have so many problems with mine, but all is sorted now.... Im not a huge fan of the focus ST170 but at least this one will work aye lol

VaVa

Lovely cars. Just Slow. Handling is sublime. Leagues ahead of my 172, perhaps better than a 182. Just a mystery where they hid that 170 PS.....

Its 173 PS :p but mines kicking out more than that now anyway.... Its got a long first and second gear so the 0-62 times are slightly slower 7.9 seconds tested by autocar. Mine should do it a lot faster now anyway....

I love having a bigger car though as its nice having comfortable people in back and stuff in boot...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

FYI that engine is NOT going in the caterham.

The duratec-cosworth lump in the caterham shares very few (if any) parts with the the vvt st170 lump.

Is it the focus zetec ST170 engine by any chance? lol

If so I bet it will cost quite a bit to up it to 260bhp in the focus? judging by how much mine is to try and get over 320bhp? ;) (less of an increase)

Nice though if it can be done cheaply

Simon.
Yes its the 2.0l Zetec but revamped by the SVT team its got VVT and a nice inlet/exhaust manifold. Forged ally pistons and forged ally con rods with higher compression than the ztec...

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 13 December 2004

Im not a huge fan of the focus ST170 but at least this one will work aye lol

Where did you get that idea, fords always seem to be very low down on the reliability surveys, unless they are getting better?

Simon.

Where did you get that idea, fords always seem to be very low down on the reliability surveys, unless they are getting better?
fords are far more reliable than many people will ever think

the days of the completely unreliable CVH engine have long gone, ford now have very reliable engines and suspension components

Quote: Originally posted by bambam1 on 13 December 2004

fords are far more reliable than many people will ever think

the days of the completely unreliable CVH engine have long gone, ford now have very reliable engines and suspension components
They still have the stigma about them though...Thisengine is pretty sound very neetly fitted, nice 6 speed box... Im happy

Yeah as reliable as Renaults.;)

check out this review of the ST170, had trouble getting into the 8s 0-60, other than that they do seem great handling cars.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2043http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2043

My dads mates was a huge Ford fan, would buy nothing else??

Simon.

Ive read all these reviews I liked the top gear one... Basically they all say its great handling but lacks power... Well thats what I here for... As I say its already running 185 and Ive only "chipped" it and added underdrive pulleys...

sounds good, would be nice to see what you can get out of her, also if you can make her look better too.....lol;)

Simon.

sounds like renault have lost another customer do to reliability and dealership issues.

If you had no problems with your clio and the dealerships were better, would you have bought a renault over a ford?

I dont reckon Fords are much better than Renaults at reliability or service centres myself.....if all had wanted was Reliable, I would have bought Japaness...so I dont reckon that could have been his main reason?

Simon.

V6

Its alright mate!! Nothing special. Your not going to turn any heads driving that , RS would be different. The only Ford I would ever buy.

Sorry fella, Im not a fan!! Wouldnt have deffo kept clio

E91 M Sport

Exactly... :)

At the end of the day we are all petrol heads!!
Careful what you say, there are some diesel heads on here too!

Nice car mate, Ive got a lot of time for Focusssss. Quickest cars on the planet, especially when theyre 1.8litre hire cars :D

p.s. dont forget to remind us clio owners how much better the standard stereo is, perhaps there is no word in the French language for le bass!

Quote: Originally posted by Rossco on 14 December 2004

Its alright mate!! Nothing special. Your not going to turn any heads driving that , RS would be different. The only Ford I would ever buy.

Sorry fella, Im not a fan!! Wouldnt have deffo kept clio

Its not designed to turn heads and get keyed up by some jelous chav... Its designed to be like a normal focus that handles better and goes!... Puts a smile on my face when I take it round some lanes or teaches lessons to bmw owners heh heh

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 14 December 2004

Its not designed to turn heads and get keyed up by some jelous chav... Its designed to be like a normal focus

well you post a pic and then say "Nobody like my car then?", but its a bog std focus?, I doubt you will get people here going....."WOW, awesome car mate", will you?? its not what you want, do you? you said??;)

Simon.

I like them. Straight line speed is not the sole purpose for buying a car. Ive always thought the Fiesta and Focus handles well, even on lesser models. Very fun to drive.