ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got myself a 172 Cup :)

172 Cup
Been on here for a month or so now, after looking for a nice 172/172 Cup.

Loads of good info on here, good place to do some research.

Anyway, picked up a 172 Cup yesterday........ I'm loving it.
Its awesome to drive, handles, sounds, feels amazing.

Had a 2000 Vectra GSi that was tastefully modified before this - lowered on coilovers, Corsa VXR alloys, around 200bhp.
But the Cup is a totally different animal. I might miss some luxuries, but the car is so raw to drive. I love the exhaust note.

The car is totally standard (I believe) and is a great example. The bodywork is immaculate and it seems that the car has been very well looked after, which is exactly what I wanted.

I dont plan to modify it too much, possibly some Eibach springs, a panel filter, and maybe upgrade the interior at some point. Would love Recaro's but we'll see.

Plan to keep this nice and clean. Gonna attempt to respray the front plastic grill matt black to freshen it up again. Get the wheels refurbed and generally make it as tidy as I can (I'm a bit of a perfectionist ;))

I'll probably be asking a lot of questions on here. First one being that the gearbox feels very stiff (and squeeks when changing gear??). Is this normal? Getting it into first, second and reverse is very stiff. Hope its ok.

Also the clutch is heavy, which I expect with the bigger engine etc. But it does feel kinda...not smooth, the action when letting it out. Kinda lumpy, I dunno hard to describe.

Hope you guys can help.

Anyway heres a few pics of it, theyre not the best, taken on my parents drive after I got it home after a 430 mile round trip to pick it up....

DSCF2097.jpg

DSCF2099.jpg

DSCF2100.jpg

DSCF2107.jpg

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Looks like you've got a minter there mate, hope you enjoy it.

My gearbox in my 172 never squeaked or made a noise going from 1st to 2nd (although I had a ph1 not a cup so a different gearbox IIRC)

And the clutch should feel heavy, very heavy and very sporty, not too sure about lumpy but it's definately a heavy clutch, a lot heavier than any of my other cars.

tiTTy & SV650
The clutch isn't heavy in mine or in my 182, in my 205gti however.... lol

Looks tidy, enjoy

S3, Polo
Lube the clutch with motorcycle chain lubricant (make sure it's synthetic and suitable for nylon cables).

Lube the end behind the pedal and under the airbox and you'll make the movement of the clutch pedal much more pleasant. Mine used to creak and make pulling away smoothly a bit of a chore...

...Not any more! Smooooother than a baby's bum.

Welcome BTW! :)

172 Cup
Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciated.

_Nero_ - thanks for the tip on the clutch, will give that a go :)

Good info about the clutch being heavy, I knew it would be. I've been driving around in my girlfriends 1.2 Expression for the last week or so which obviously is fairly different to drive lol.

Thanks again, glad I joined this place

172 Cup
Any pics of the Vectra? Where are you from?

I'm from Hull.
Here's a couple of the pics of the Vectra, I do miss it lol. Spent lots of time, effort and money on that car. It was my pride and joy.
Was gutted to see it go but really wanted something more fun to drive.

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF9983.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

Looks really tidy! How many miles has it done?

It is very tidy, the bodywork is immaculate. Got the usual wearing of the steering wheel and thumb grips but hoping to get that sorted. Its got 58k on it now.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice Cup! Your reaction to how it drives is just like mine was after I moved up from my V6 Mondeo back in '03 :approve:

Any 52 plate Cup with what appears to be the original factory fitted front splitter still attached has probably had an easy life.

172 Cup
Vectra looks ace, im looking for a minter just now!

Much did that go for?

Thanks.
It went for £3k in the end.
Great cars, brilliant value for money. Plenty of performance from the V6, sounds great too.

Have a look on VVOC.com. I've been a member on there for ages and theres often some good ones for sale.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
cup is awesome car mate.

I just put sportlines on my last week, wasnt thinking it would make much of a difference but i can tell you they are amazing stops any body roll.

Only down side is that the back has slightly raised up front is lower but gives it a good nose down look.

172 Cup
Whats ur username on there?

Same as her mate..McMillan...lol

Really liking that Vectra, how come you sold it for the Cup, just fancied a change? and how do the two cars compare, i.e which do you prefer?

Yeah the vectra was a great car, looked gorgeous.
Had Jamex coilovers put on it, reduced body roll massively, but was a heavy car. I wanted something smaller and nippier to drive. Always liked bigger cars but realised that if I wanted fun it had to be a small hot hatch. 172 was the first thing I looked at.

How do the two cars compare? The Vectra was quick when you got it going. It had heavy steering and was a little clunky. It was tiring to drive sometimes, because it was low and had 18's. Looked great though lol.

The Clio is small, nippy, great too look at and mental lol. I love it.
I realised I dont need a big car and a hot hatch is the way to go for fun driving every day
Much prefer the Clio, even after the first day

cup is awesome car mate.

I just put sportlines on my last week, wasnt thinking it would make much of a difference but i can tell you they are amazing stops any body roll.

Only down side is that the back has slightly raised up front is lower but gives it a good nose down look.

Thanks for the info, sportlines is the way I was going to go. Heard that theyre in short supply though?
I do want the front end to be a bit lower. Dont want coilovers because I dont want it real low and want to retain standard like handling.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Same as her mate..McMillan...lol

Yeah the vectra was a great car, looked gorgeous.
Had Jamex coilovers put on it, reduced body roll massively, but was a heavy car. I wanted something smaller and nippier to drive. Always liked bigger cars but realised that if I wanted fun it had to be a small hot hatch. 172 was the first thing I looked at.

How do the two cars compare? The Vectra was quick when you got it going. It had heavy steering and was a little clunky. It was tiring to drive sometimes, because it was low and had 18's. Looked great though lol.

The Clio is small, nippy, great too look at and mental lol. I love it.
I realised I dont need a big car and a hot hatch is the way to go for fun driving every day
Much prefer the Clio, even after the first day

Thanks for the info, sportlines is the way I was going to go. Heard that theyre in short supply though?
I do want the front end to be a bit lower. Dont want coilovers because I dont want it real low and want to retain standard like handling.

yeah i think i read that on here they were. I got a set 2nd hand from the sale section on here. As i said love the handling now even better and it was good before. I will link you the pics of mine was i take some now its been done.

172 Cup
yeah i think i read that on here they were. I got a set 2nd hand from the sale section on here. As i said love the handling now even better and it was good before. I will link you the pics of mine was i take some now its been done.

Nice one that would be really cool.

I have a question about panel filters...which one is recommended?
After being a vauxhall man for a while I'm not totally clued up on which manufacturers are best.

I've heard K-Tec, ITG and Pipercross may be decent to look at?
Just want to help it breathe a little better.
Dont want to spend a fortune either.

Thanks again