ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GPS, Navman iCN610 or tomtom GO!

my dad is looking at getting a GPS unit and hes narrowed it down to these 2, personaly i think i would go with the tomtom go thing but he seems to want the navman i cant seen to find much info on the navman but the tomtom go seems to get good reviews!

so do anyone have any info or have your got/used the navman and the tomtom maybe any help would be very welcome!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

tomtom is brilliant! iv tried tomtom go and ipaq version 2 and 3. I had teh navman s/w on my ipaq and it was tosh!!!

Navman is better!

we sell both at our work & after using the navman its come along way since the tom tom,

to give u an idea, the tom tom go was the first of its kind (the all in one removeable gps thingy) and they have come along way since this using new software etc,

i mean the main thing about the navman which i think the tomtom doesnt do is the back on track system, which basically means if u go off the planned route for whatever reason it automatically reroutes you from where you are back onto the route u wanna take without going "Please pull a UTURN at the next safe point) which is impossible if your on a motorway!

& im not sure if the tomtom does it as well, but the navman has thousands of POIs (points of interest) which basically is places u wanna look for like petrol stations, hotels & even ur nearest cash point!!!! so if ur in the middle of nowhere & need a petty station it will find u one and take u there!

Not to mention u can program ur own POIs in so if you only run ur car on optimax for whatever reason you can just program in petrol stations that sell optimax like shell garages!

its really cool! get one :Dhehe hope that helps dude

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

tomtom does all that mate. if you miss a turn it recalculates and send u the quickest way or tells you to turn around when possible if its going to be well out of your way to go a different way. if its on a motorway then the next exit, not a u turn.

as for POIs iv got every mcdonalds, every shell station, every speed camera, traffic light camera with 200m alarm warnings, BP stations, cash machines, etc as well as your own POIs you can enter when your at them or by finding them on the map.

i have to say iv only used the older navman s/w but tomtom is simply brilliant in comparison!

the tomtom go has only just come out as well!

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 31 December 2004

Navman is better!

we sell both at our work & after using the navman its come along way since the tom tom,

to give u an idea, the tom tom go was the first of its kind (the all in one removeable gps thingy) and they have come along way since this using new software etc,

i mean the main thing about the navman which i think the tomtom doesnt do is the back on track system, which basically means if u go off the planned route for whatever reason it automatically reroutes you from where you are back onto the route u wanna take without going "Please pull a UTURN at the next safe point) which is impossible if your on a motorway!

& im not sure if the tomtom does it as well, but the navman has thousands of POIs (points of interest) which basically is places u wanna look for like petrol stations, hotels & even ur nearest cash point!!!! so if ur in the middle of nowhere & need a petty station it will find u one and take u there!

Not to mention u can program ur own POIs in so if you only run ur car on optimax for whatever reason you can just program in petrol stations that sell optimax like shell garages!

its really cool! get one :Dhehe hope that helps dude

Firstly the tomtom go had only bee out a few months, so how can things have come on alot since that.

Tomtom automatically reroutes you back on track, ive had the please turn around ONCE, if you are an A road it will direct you to a cul-de sac to turn around in, and it has NEVER told me to turn around where possible on a d/c or motorway.

Tomtom has thousand of POIs and you can add your own and download overlays containing POIs such as speed cameras, and then you can get a piece of software called check point which warns you when you are approaching a POI...such as a speed camera.

Tomtm has been around alot longer than navman and is far more popular, there are regular updates to it, and its on its thrid version now, been using tomtom for over a year now, all the ugs of the 2nd version werte fixed wiht the release of tomtom3, and so far i have found NO bugs wiht the software.

You can do a postcode search in tomtom, and you can plan an itinery, so if you want to go to birmingham, but stop off at tescos and ur mates house and then meet someone halfway there, you can program it all in, adjust the orderand it will take you from one place to the next.

You can set areas to avoid, e if there are roadworks on a motorway, you can tel it to avoid them and it will re route you.

IMHO tomtom is FAR superior to navman.....no offence but for someone who sells the units you seem to know alot about the navman unit and bugger all about tomtom...you wrere quite possibly using the earlier versions of tomtom, i urge you, go out wiht someon who has tomtom and you will find it is FAR superior

lol u r right, I have used the navman alot more & have only had bad experiences with the tomtom go which is why i do not recommend it myself!

I didnt realise it had the back on track system or the personal POIs so i do apologise for stating it did not.

& ive not use the tomtom 2/3 etc, only the GO, which is what I was comparing it to, never did like the pda based ones,

Also dont you think the tomtom is a lil bulsum compared to the slimlined navman?

not to mention I had someone come in with the tom tom saying it fell off their dash when he reached 80mph or somet which wouldve been pretty scary should it have fallen somewhere dangerous like in the driver foot well etc.

Tomtom go has the tomtom3 software installed on it, i too dont like the look of the tomtom go which is why i have mine set up using a bluetooth pda dn gps reciever. Yes hte navman all in one usit does look better, but i feel the quality of software ont he tomtom outweights its poor loks

The fool how had it fall off prolly didnt wet the suction cup, once stuck on those things are solid, i cant pull mine off wihtout fear of breaking it.