ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grado Appreciation

Cracking cans. They have a unique musical quality. Such a sweet open stage and natural midrange. I've never heard a better headphone. I'm still rolling with my old SR80, but I do plan to upgrade soon.

Any other fans in? They've been discussed before, but they are so awesome that I felt they need their own thread. No other headphone makes me appreciate music so much.

GW Clio 200
heard lots of good things about them, so went and tried a set on in richer sounds. the sound was good but there was too much leakage for me to use on plane/train all the time. cant remember the model number of the ones i tried - really 'retro' looking ones, are these the ones you have roy? how do you find them for sound leakage?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
They're the best no question... I went though a pair of Kams, a pair of Sony's, a pair of Koss, and two pairs of Sennheisers in 12 months! However then bought Grado's and have had them going on 7 years now, used pretty much every day, still sound brand new, perfect :)

M135i
Owner of SR60i's here. They output detail in music that I've never heard before. I truly look forward to sitting down and listening with them.

I couldn't go back to closed cans now. They are unique.

They leak sound quite a bit but I bought them for use at home so no bother.

Yeah the SR80 are retro look. In fact they all are. Mine look rubbish, but the sound quality is fantastic. They are open back so leak a lot of sound. Doesn't bother me personally, as I only use them in private.

Not a 320d
I cant make my mind up about them.

Heard HF-2's and GS 1000's and I honestly don't like the 'sound signature' on Grado cans.

Im a metal fan (Thrash mainly) so these should suit my music tastes but they simply dont.

Im not saying theyre crap, but Id sooner have a set of good beyerdynamic, Denon or AKG's

M135i
I've just listened to the Jimmy Hendrix Experience on mine. Simply awesome. Ben Howard as well as City and Colour sound brilliant too.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Right so got some Sr80i's as a late xmas present.. i'm curently 150miles from though :( so wasting the time trying to find info on running them in when I get back on friday!... suggestions?

Not a 320d
Right so got some Sr80i's as a late xmas present.. i'm curently 150miles from though :( so wasting the time trying to find info on running them in when I get back on friday!... suggestions?

Leave them playing while you're at work to a noise level that sounds very loud to your ears. Wouldn't worry too much, they will develop as you listen to them.

Been without mine for the past couple of weeks, and have used various others during this time. Just come back to my Grado and OMG they are in a league of their own at any reasonable price point. The pace and rhythm is mental. They attack any tune with thumping clarity.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
SR125's and B&W P3 here..... Used my B&W more tbh.
Grades show up poor recordings on spotify ( even on extreme) that tends to ruin the listening experience. B&W are much more " forgiving".

Crikey that's amazing. Feels like you're not even wearing cans at all. I'd like to try it with lesser headphones. I suspect the open back Grados are ideal for this kind of thing.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Will need to do that when I get home, I love mine although the missus gets annoyed when I sit at home using them ignoring her!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I've been wanting some SR80s for a while now. Not sure its worth it considering it would be used on mp3s through a PC headphone jack / ipad.

Got super excited about a couple of albums recently. Then tried them outside of my Grados. Nothing like the punch and rhythm.

Perfect example being R.A. the Rugged Man: Legends Never Die. It's seriously banging through the Grado. Unbelievable timing, and sensationally musical. Tried the same album today in the car (which does not have a poor sound system) and was left feeling a bit disappointed.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Is the album any good? Used to love his stuff on the Soundbombing albums, but not really listened to RA in years.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Grados stop me sleeping, can't put the damn things down!

They just add a new dimension to songs I've listened to hundreds of times!

LY 182 FF CUPPED
The only thing that comes close in HiFi terms is electrostatic speakers from the likes of Quad.

ST1050, 320d
Yeah they're pretty awesome tbf, I tried a few sets before buying but the only ones that came close were £300+. They've only been out about 6 months.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Hmm, I might look into some in ear ones. Any recommendations?

Has anyone tried the iGi in ear headphones? Currently rocking the normal Apple ones.

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
In Ears are very fussy for different people. Id like to say go listen to some but I can appreciate that isn't possible. Plus I roll with Westone UM3X and Im pretty sure you wont be looking at spending £300+ for some IEM's.

Head over to Head-Fi and see if you can find reviews on some IEM's in the price bracket youre looking for. They are generally quite accurate and you can try to compare how they might sound. Also look at the difference between Balanced Armature vs Dynamic IEM's. I found BA awful at first but you do get used to sound signatures over time. Its a lot to read over but If youre spending a good wedge of cash I certainly wouldnt rush into it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mul...nator-and-dn-23-landmine-added-06-03-13-p-701

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I'll take a look cheers. I have over ear headphones on for a couple of hours most nights when gaming so ideally for music I'd like some in ear headphones. Happy to spend £150 or so on some.

Not a 320d
HiFiMan RE252 or 272 are good. I had 262 (Discontinued) and they were far better than they should have been for the price. Lacking in Bass (Even for a metal head like me) but the mids and highs were so clear. Westone 2 for that price maybe?

2014 Focus Titanium
Had a listen to a pair of £300 denon headies recently and we're quite impressed by them, are grados as good better? I've never found any headphone that comes close to my B&W CM1s (I don't have vast experience really) but then I'm not sure how much I'd have to pay to better a £1k stereo system, genuinely don't know if you would have to pay more, or even much less as I hardly know about headphones!

Not a 320d
I'll take a look cheers. I have over ear headphones on for a couple of hours most nights when gaming so ideally for music I'd like some in ear headphones. Happy to spend £150 or so on some.

Listened to some beyerdynamic dtx80's on holiday. They were my first step into decent IEM's a while back and gave them to my girlfriend. With a Fiio E11 amp they sounded fantastic.