ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

green slime in wheel, pic*

Clio Sport 172
just took my front driver wheel off to paint the caliper, and i found this thick green slime and really dont know what it is. i asked my dad and he said something like the gater?? :S lol

if it is, is it a big job?

Image263.jpg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Drive shaft gator has split, ot the metal ring hoding it on has broke, i packed full of cv joint greese and jubie cliped it back on.

ITB'd MK1
seeing this on loads of clios, the standard clips are really bad and break all the time. Trying out a couple of different types of replacements to see which are the best. One of our suppliers has told me about some that local renault dealer buys from him for this exact thing so they're on order to come in next week :).

BMW M135i
It'll be ok to drive to get it sorted but I wouldn't leave it, it needs sorting asap. You don't want the grease to get on the brakes and you certainly don't want all the grease out of the joint or you'll end up buying a new driveshaft.

Clio Sport 172
ok well ill get the wheel off tomorrow and have a closer look in the light and see whats going off. what is the grease called i need to buy?

ValverInBits
without the grease in the CV joint, the joint will not last!! I personally wouldnt drive it more than 10 miles, and I'd go softly. You don't want a Worn CV, Then it'll be a new shaft. 50 or 60 quid if you can do it yourself. Plenty more if you cant.

titanic killer
I had this problem,taken my wheels off and found the green slime just dots of it thou,so 90mm jubilee clip and job done

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Repack with grease , jubilee clip , job done . Its a common fault , the clips are too weak and snap . Anyone who's clips haven't snapped yet , stick a thick ( 10mm ) cable tie over the clip to help prevent it from snapping .

Mine went on my 172 and i drove it for a couple of weeks and it was ok .