ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Greenlight wont renew my insurance!

I have a tuned 182 with around 205bhp with cams exhaust etc. etc.

I changed my insurance to Greenlight last year as they offered a good price and seemed mod friendly.

Unfortunately a few months ago I had a low speed scrape at a busy junction (my fault). I had a scratch on my bumper but didnt bother claiming as its not that bad. Obviously the person I bumped did.

Got a letter today from greenlight saying they werent prepared to renew my policy! No detail at all in it.

Should I expect this? I mean the accident I had was very minor and down to rushing in the morning not from driving like a lunatic.

Anyone recommend anyone else? I have never had a crash in my 13 years of driving is this going to seriously effect my chances of getting insured on a modified car?

Da

Less
aren't greenlight cutting down on insuring the RS's due to heavy losses suffered in recent years or am I talking bollox? ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
MarkM said:
No. Probably should have offered. It was about a 10" scratch in front of the rear wheel.
I think a claim is a claim, no matter if it's £100 of £100,000 should have paid the cash to fix their car or had yours fixed to.

Vectra :(
Greenlight refused to quote me because my postal area has had too many claims in the last year!!!

Not one other insurance company has said the same.

I would ring them up mate and see whats going on. End of the day tho if they dont wanna insure you then they wont or if you get them to do it will probably be cheaper elsewhere.

Ford Mustang 5.0
MarkM said:
I have a tuned 182 with around 205bhp with cams exhaust etc. etc.

I changed my insurance to Greenlight last year as they offered a good price and seemed mod friendly.

Unfortunately a few months ago I had a low speed scrape at a busy junction (my fault). I had a scratch on my bumper but didnt bother claiming as its not that bad. Obviously the person I bumped did.

Got a letter today from greenlight saying they werent prepared to renew my policy

Under our modified vehicle scheme if you have had a fault claim within the last 12 months the insurer may not wish to offer renewal terms.

If the damage was light you could look to pay back the insurers costs and then have the claim amount reduced to zero then we would be able to provide you a renewal figure.

On heavily modified vehicles the underwriting criteria is quite tight.

If you would like to contact me on 01277 263030 I can discuss the case in more details with you.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

Ford Mustang 5.0
Daz_2427 said:
aren't greenlight cutting down on insuring the RS's due to heavy losses suffered in recent years or am I talking bollox? ;)

Its only the 172 Cup that has been bad for us claims wise.

The 172, 182 (both cup and non cup specs) and trophy all have excellent claims statistics so we are still more than happy to try and provide a competetive quote on these models.

Also the V6 is performing well

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

Phoned Greenlight this morning. The reason is because the third party in my accident hadnt contacted the insurers with the amount they were claiming therefore the cost of the claim was not known.

I had to contact Highway who the policy is done through. After speaking to 3 people finally got an answer. They had the correspondence from the third party a month ago and had just sat on it. They assured me it would be completed today, tossers.

Anyway Greenlight have confirmed the cost of the crash now and are prepared to insure the car for £650 but with £400 excess (ouch). So only an increase of £50.

Interestingly the small scrape on the 54 plate Fiesta I hit cost £937!!!!!!WTF.

I think Greenlight could have given me more detail in the letter they sent but they sorted it all out quickly and I still have a very good price on the quote.

well the trophy will be close to the cup with regards to insurance claims you only got to look at the track day's and what is happening on there .

how come other insurance companies will insure the cup but glight wont . ?

what are the stats for the cup claims over the last 12 month's anyone know . ??

Ford Mustang 5.0
Tim said:
well the trophy will be close to the cup with regards to insurance claims you only got to look at the track day's and what is happening on there .

how come other insurance companies will insure the cup but glight wont . ?

what are the stats for the cup claims over the last 12 month's anyone know . ??

The Trophy has been excellent for us so far. I think one of the main problems with the 172 Cup was the lack of ABS, Locking up the brakes and sliding into the rear of another car was quite a common site on our claims list we receive, along with single vehicle and loss of control accidents.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

dannyboy172 said:
Have you tried bell (www.bell.co.uk) Mark?

No mate.

I tried a few last year when I changed from Direct line and to be honest
Greenlight were very mod friendly compared to other companies who were confused when I said things like standalone ECU and cable throttle they would spend 10minutes working out what category to put it in.

Greenlight just listed the mods as I said them and based the cost on the power increase. Much easier for both parties.

They were chapest by over 150£ aswell.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
neil@greenlightinsurance said:
The Trophy has been excellent for us so far. I think one of the main problems with the 172 Cup was the lack of ABS, Locking up the brakes and sliding into the rear of another car was quite a common site on our claims list we receive, along with single vehicle and loss of control accidents.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

I thought cup drivers could brake harder than everyone else:rolleyes:

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
MarkM said:
I had to contact Highway who the policy is done through. After speaking to 3 people finally got an answer. They had the correspondence from the third party a month ago and had just sat on it. They assured me it would be completed today, tossers.

Highway are total w*****s mate. Have to agree with everything you've put.

Saying that, when I wrote my Cup off I had to call some cowboys called Angel One Call or some b****cks. One call? Angels? I think not. Absolutely useless crock of shite.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
thats a bit crap, i have had my cup for 4/5 years now i think, and not had an accident in it, so would green light punish me, if i tried to get insurance with them ? Probably ?
Does green light ask how long you have owned your vehichle ? then work out the cost on that, or just say oh its a cup, we don't insure you ?

cos if you are new to a cup then you might be a twit and slide in to the back of people, but i don't think that it would be right to put the price up cos it aint got abs ? sounds like horse to me

Ford Mustang 5.0
alexbleubolt said:
thats a bit crap, i have had my cup for 4/5 years now i think, and not had an accident in it, so would green light punish me, if i tried to get insurance with them ? Probably ?
Does green light ask how long you have owned your vehichle ? then work out the cost on that, or just say oh its a cup, we don't insure you ?

cos if you are new to a cup then you might be a twit and slide in to the back of people, but i don't think that it would be right to put the price up cos it aint got abs ? sounds like horse to me
Its not us its the insurers we use not wishing to attract business on these models. As a broker we earn a commission for every case so we wouldn't turn away potential business unless we had no choice but two of our main insurers have both had bad claims experience on the 172 Cups.

When we first started dealing with the Cliosport Forum we insured a large number of Renault Sport models including 172 Cups for varying age drivers with varying NCB levels and ownership periods but for 2 years the 172 Cup made big losses.

It could of just been bad luck that the 172 Cups we insured happended to be the ones that claimed, but insurance companies work on black and white statistics and if an area of the market makes a significent loss consistantly over a year period they will look to protect themselves by either increasing the premiums or not attracting new business from these vehicles.

As a broker we are always looking for new schemes that will enable us to write areas of the market that we don't currently quote for so if things change in regards to the 172 Cup's i'll be straight on here to let you guys know.

Hope this helps explain things.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

Mondeo STTDCI
£937 to repair the Fiesta! lol

Garages take the piss with insurance jobbies. Someone once smacked me up the arse in a Ford Ka. It had the non colour coded bumpers and all I needed was a new bumper and a new exhaust. No damage to floor pan or anything.

I saw the job sheet they had produced for the insurer and the car came back with a brand new boot door, sprayed etc as well as a new rear bumper and exhaust and the floor pan "repaired".

£300 job for £2000.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Neil i'm one of your statistics. Whilst I feel sorry for anyone not able to get a quote on a Cup from greenlight, it being written off was the best thing that ever happened to me. :)

MY10 R35 GTR
got my renewal through from greenlight other day. £856 same policy with no changes ( up to 3 NCB now ) they also knocked £50 off my excess and said if i fitted me springs at same time as renewal no charge.

Even then my insurance last year was 980, was hoping it woulda gona down a bit more.

MY10 R35 GTR
got my renewal through from greenlight other day. £856 same policy with no changes ( up to 3 NCB now ) they also knocked £50 off my excess and said if i fitted me springs at same time as renewal no charge.

Even then my insurance last year was 980, was hoping it woulda gona down a bit more.

MY10 R35 GTR

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
neil@greenlightinsurance said:
Its only the 172 Cup that has been bad for us claims wise.

The 172, 182 (both cup and non cup specs) and trophy all have excellent claims statistics so we are still more than happy to try and provide a competetive quote on these models.

Also the V6 is performing well

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

then why is the Trophy an insurance group higher?

Ford Mustang 5.0
Cue said:
then why is the Trophy an insurance group higher?

We will quote the same price for a 182 or a 182 Trophy, we don't rate the vehicle any higher. The only difference in premium will be down to value.

If you had quote for a £10,000 Clio 182 and then asked for a quote on a £10,000 Trophy the price with us would be the same.

The underwriter may put a slightly higher excess on the Trophy as the suspension is much more expensive to replace in the event of a claim.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

Car SOLD :-(
Fair play to Neil from greenlight. He's has given nothing but honest, straight forward answers.

M

Mark E-J

WHY CANT EVERYONE REGARDING INSURANCE BE LIKE NEIL

insurance companies are very anal and expect you to disclose everything but they do not do the same in return though do they just try and worm thier way out of a claim at every opertunity.

tesco are the worst i found

Ford Mustang 5.0
Mark E-J said:
WHY CANT EVERYONE REGARDING INSURANCE BE LIKE NEIL

Thanks for the kind words :eek:

I'm a car enthusiast Just like you guys, I've owned a number of modified cars Peugeot 306 XSI, Golf GTi 1.8t, S2000 and Civic Type R (No renaultsport models yet so dont abuse me) so i really enjoy working at a broker where i can talk to like minded lads and lasses with modified and performance cars, if i worked in a standard run-of-the mill car bokers just dealing with basic 1.1 Fiesta's and the like I think i would of gone mad years ago:S...... so i'd like to consider myself as much one of you guys as i am an insurance worker ;)

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

RS Clio 200
well u saved my bacon the other night, so as far as im concerned u is fantastic LOL

will be callign you again for track cover soon :D

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
DarthCake said:
Highway are total w*nkers mate. Have to agree with everything you've put.

Saying that, when I wrote my Cup off I had to call some cowboys called Angel One Call or some b****cks. One call? Angels? I think not. Absolutely useless crock of sh*te.

Personally Highway were fine when I had to fight the lying little shite who hit me (and said it wasn't his fault, 6 months later he's a grand lighter :) )

BUT as I was insured through Flux they made me call this Angel comapny as well, they are basically the same kinda thing as help hire. They asses the case and if it can be proved not your fault they then do everything, not the insurer, and charge it all to the other persons insurance. Problem is they are fucktards.

The guy dealing with my case didn't even drive, so when I said I was going straight over on a roundabout he didn't have a clue what I meant. first he said "you were driving OVER the roundabout??", then I explained that meant going to the exit straight ahead, then he said oh I'm sorry I don't drive so don't know what you mean.

So they refused to take on the case, so the legal cover kicked in and I had a s**t hot guy from Temple Street Solicitors who said it was obviously not my fault. Granted I (well with a little help from the father in law) did most of the letter writing ripping their argument to shreds, he ended up just relaying all the letters.

Greenlight really were not competitive when I called up in previous years, maybe I'll give them a try this time.