ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Greenstuff: They are s**t

That's sums it up pretty much.

managed to have smoke pouring off them after a 10min track session!! they really didn't do much for my confidence at all.

On a side note my pedal feels really dead now and my brakes don't have as much 'bite'.. i assume this will clear up with normal driving? Hope so as the pads and discs are only 2 weeks old.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Re: Greenstuff: They are s**t

Maybe that's why greenstuff pads are marketed as " fast road " pads not track day pads .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Like flameR says . It'll most likely be the fluid with air in if you've had your pads smoking that much you'll have boiled the fluid .

I don't think the fluid boiled.
What pads should i be looking at that will last out on track and won't kill me on the road?

Last edited:

Q: Are greenstuff pads s**t??

The quick answer would be yes. I have Mintex 1144 fast road/race pads which are spot on and much better than the old greenstuff I used to have.

VaVa
Greenstuffs are a good replacement for the standard pads. But that's about it. Slightly more resistant to fade in road use than the OEM pads too imho.

Green stuff are road pads.

They aren't s**t.
Difference of opinion here as I say they are s**t, Tom

Q: Are greenstuff pads s**t??

The quick answer would be yes. I have Mintex 1144 fast road/race pads which are spot on and much better than the old greenstuff I used to have.

do they last well on track?
Couldn't tell you mate as never been on track with the cup, but GDI look after track cars for a company called track club and use the exact same pads as I got. So they must be good for track days..

my rear greenstuffs stuck to the discs... poooo
Thank you Phil

PH1 172 Sport
I dont think they are s**t people just seem to think they are going to be thousands of times better than stock. They are designed to be fast road pads for joe bloggs which produce low brake dust keeping your wheels clean etc. They are good pads but just not up to the abuse of some fast road come track pads.

I dont think they are s**t people just seem to think they are going to be thousands of times better than stock. They are designed to be fast road pads for joe bloggs which produce low brake dust keeping your wheels clean etc. They are good pads but just not up to the abuse of some fast road come track pads.
Agreed mate they do produce less brake dust than any pad I have used on my cup, but even as a fast road pad I wouldn't rate them at all...

PH1 172 Sport

Agreed mate they do produce less brake dust than any pad I have used on my cup, but even as a fast road pad I wouldn't rate them at all...

Agreed they are just a good replacement for stock slightly better but not allot.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
More than happy with my Greenstuffs, never had a problem with performance on the road with them.

However as Tom says they are a fast road pad so for some track time I'm probably going to try Yellows out :)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

More than happy with my Greenstuffs, never had a problem with performance on the road with them.

I'll second that. Not had any issues with mine but then i've not tracked mine.

If its track pads you want then its track pads you should buy.....yellow or redstuff....or Pagids.

PH1 172 Sport

However as Tom says they are a fast road pad so for some track time I'm probably going to try Yellows out :)

I like my greenstuff's too but then im not a particually agressive braker using a combination of engine braking and brakes is a much more fluid and satisfying way of driving fast down a good B road IMO instead of flying hell for leather towards a corner and slamming your brakes on, which is surely what people are doing to get them to fade as much as whats being said.

They are better than stock but not allot (or at least not as much what most people seem to expect). I do think I will give some yellow or red stuff a whirl next time though.

Hmmmm.....Iteresting debate here, maybe it's cos my cup is quicker than standard? For those ppl who rate the greenstuff pads are you running any mods on the clio???

TVR Cerbera

I had greenstuff on mine with grooved discs - road car only. when new, very good. 1/4 worn and no bite, fade and generally bad. swopped them with g/f car, standard mintex, really good again. put greenstuff on her car with standard mintex discs and they aint too bad, not as much bite as the mintex but more progressive. note mintex discs and pads that were on g/f car used to squeal then anything?!?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
sounds like you have glazed them

how the hell did you have smoke after 10mins?

that is some serious heat!

L

lenny85

i'm running greenstuff and brembo discs and had no problems on track or clear back roads over pennines (a686) so probably is fluid

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

I'd never use any EBC product again. Disappointed when using their combi discs and Greenstuff pads a few years back.:dapprove:

A4 oil burner !!!

Hmmmm.....Iteresting debate here, maybe it's cos my cup is quicker than standard? For those ppl who rate the greenstuff pads are you running any mods on the clio???

Been running greenstuff pads all round with ktec cross drilled discs at front and standard (original) discs at back for the last 10k. Including two track days (Cadwell and Bedford) never really had a problem just cool them regularly on track and dont stand on them th ewhole while !
Since last track day had cams,inlets and another remap and they feel fine.
Obviuosly there are better combinations out there but for the cost they are great !

Twingo 133
Change your brake fluid for a decent one.
Its the weakest part in your setup if your using the generic fluid.

i'm running greenstuff and brembo discs and had no problems on track or clear back roads over pennines (a686) so probably is fluid

Sorry to gatecrash our post mate and if this sounds silly.

But if his pads have fried themselvess, why would it come down to the brake fluid ?

Fair enough if you use your brakes enough you can boil it, but the fluid wouldn't cause smoke :S thats the pads not coping with the heat.

I guess Red Stuffs may be better for a track day, as i think they need a fair bit of heat in them to work properly don't they ?

And can withstand higher temperatures.

But say you used Red Stuff pads wit Brembo Max Discs, would you warp the discs with the heat involved in braking ? :S

Exige S1 + Honda S1

I had red stuffs on the front of my old vee, took a while to warm up but were not much better when hot.

Only thing they are good for is keeping dust at a minimum.

The only pads I would recommend for hard track use is Pagids, only ones Ive used that last more than 10 laps hard use without fade