ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grinding noise when first braking

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
I bought my Clio in Dec. It's a 1.2 Grande 2001 and it's got 64k miles on the clock.

Usually when I first set off on a journey if it's been sat for a while and I use the brakes, I get this kind of grinding noise. A bit like metal on metal. The brake pads have quite a lot left on them and the discs look clean. The braking is really sharp and takes some getting used to after my old car.

The noise does tend to go away after a few brakes.

Of course it could be the shoes and drums cos I've not had chance to check the condition of them yet.

Any ideas?

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
Wicked. Cheers for the quick response.

Is it normal for the brakes on these to be VERY sensitive? :eek:

I came from MR2's and they are somewhat more 'progressive' shall we say (read: stamp on them to get it to stop :eek: )

b/g 182, meg tourer
yep, it will be rust. mine does it really bad first time i take it out after washing it.
nothing to worry about. if you are worried tho, just give the discs a visual check to see if everything looks ok.

As above, rust on the disc. Think it can also cause the handbrake to stick on if it's left standing for a while, but it frees itself once you've started to pull away, usually with a jolt lol

re: the oversensitivity, probably just due to over-servoed brakes designed for old biddies who want a little-engined runaround :) They're probably more progressive on the quicker models!

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
Maybe, the MR2 had air in the brake lines?

Nah, I don't mean spongy. They were just 20 year old brakes and they gave you the choice of light braking or hard braking. Last thing you need with a powerful rear wheel drive car is digital brakes. :S

S4 Avant
Nah, I don't mean spongy. They were just 20 year old brakes and they gave you the choice of light braking or hard braking. Last thing you need with a powerful rear wheel drive car is digital brakes. :S

We're still talking about MR2s right?

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
OK, just a bit more then...

All I'll say about this is, for a 20 year old car the MR2 rocked. It looked awesome and was brilliant fun. A proper drivers car. And if you want mad power then check out the turbos, they're mental fast.

I'd like a Clio Sport as much as the next man but this time just went for cheap insurance/running costs (It's still just a souped up hatch back after all). Anyway I've got my bike for fun, car for practicality. A to B etc