ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GROUND CLEARANCE

Im lookin to lower my T-reg (mkII i think!) clio next month and im wondering how much ground clearance will there be after a 60mm drop with the car on 17s.

the car is completely standard bar the 17s!

so its on 17s which raises it - will it be too low after a 60mm drop?? (very big speedbumps in work see!)

cheers lads! :D

Williams 2, STi N12

Why dont you just take a tape measure to it?? It shouldnt be higher with 17s as the rolling diameter should be kept the same to keep speedo correct. Therefore the height i think should be the same as the OE.

OE?????? :confused:

ok then - Anyone with 17s on there 98+ clio and a 60mm drop - just how low is it?? (hopefully not so low that speed bumps are a NO NO!)

I have seen pictures of clios like mine on 17s lowered 60mm and the wheel is tight on the arch wich is nice! But all the pictures have been not very well lit and its hard to see the actual height of the car.

thanks again! :)

OE is standard

17s will of raised the car by 2 inches, 60mm springs will lower it just under 2.5 inches, so it will be half an inch lower than standard.

I think

Williams 2, STi N12

But surely the sidewall of the tyre will be reduced to keep the same overall OD and keep the speedo in check??

wouldnt have thought you can keep the same diameter with 17s as opposed to the standard 13s that are on, even with low-pros.my 15s make the car look like an off-roader, and thats 2 ins under what u are after!

so ground clearance wont be a problem then???

slightly confused now :confused:

its just that im worried about the speedbumps!! - there them nasty short but high ones! :(

thanks again :cool:

ok you have 17s on at the moment? just get a tape measure and measure ground clearance at the moment, it will be then roughly 60mm lower after the drop.

aint got the 17s yet - there comin the same time as the springs, i thought id lower it at the same time rather than have it lookin like a 4x4!

At the moment its on 15s (still lookin a bit 4x4ish)

I want the 17 to be "tight" on the arches (by that i mean having the wheels sitting nice in the arches - no big gap)

But I dont want it to be so low that speed bumps etc are a problem :confused:

Any advice/views appreciated :)

WOW! that IS low!!

Do you think i should go for a 40mm drop instead???

Will the wheels still fill the arches as much???

Does anyone know where i can get -40mm springs from/prices??? (pictures even?)

thanks again

I think ill go for 60 then - Im hoping that the speedbumps wont cause to much of a problem :(

Ill let you know how i get on - when the springs and wheels arrive that is!

thanks for all the help guys!

so you think ill be ok on 17s with a 60mm drop??? - i know back to the ground clearance again!!!

Thanks

Bizarrely, it appears my car actually has less space than Freds under the arches at the back and the front and its officially only lowered 40mm on Apex. They seem to have kept on getting lower over the last 6 months since I had them fitted. I dont know if its a trick of the light or something, but the rears sit flush with the edges of the arches on mine and there definitely seems to be a small gap in that pic of Freds with the 60mm springs!

Youre probably as well getting the 60s anyway though, cos it sounds more extreme to say you got 60mm if nothing else!!

There is no space under the arches on Freds on the back.. the wheel is under the arch.. but its not under enough, eh Fred?

Daz.

Fair enough, it probably is lower then, but just not quite as much as Id thought when I was still running 14"s. I wish someone would release a kit for an 80mm+ drop on the Clio tho, cos it would be so easy to do!! The arches are gigantic!!