ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grrr can't decide what size..

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Went to a couple dealers this morning to take a look at different models and spent most of the day on the net but can't decide what to get for first car.

Planning on keeping it around 3 years then going up to 1*2 and I want a Dynamique, but...

1.2, 1.4 or 1.5?

I thought 1.2 as I'm a new driver, 1.4 so it'll "last" and 1.5 because... well, diesel..

Grr can't decide and don't know what's best. :(

133, 182, Kangoo 182
A lot of strangely varying quotes..

1.2 = Lost my old quote info.. don't have this.
1.4 = £1375 (Adrian Flux online - need to confirm that's fully comp).
1.5 = £1800 (Churchill).

All of these are online - am yet to phone around. Out of the three I'd prefer the diesel, but they are quite hard to find - only one my local dealer had was dented and scratched... and an Expression. Alternatively I could buy private but really unsure on that too lol.

I was in the same position as you 5 years ago. I went for a 1.4 16v. 98bhp is actually quite nippy.

I had a 1.6, and now a 1.4, the 1.4 isnt a bad car, but the 1.6 was a lot nicer at speed and seemed a bit better off the line. Imo it all depends how you want to drive the car, if your not worried about 14s 0-60 and crusing in the slow lane at 70 then a 1.2 is fine. If you want to redline it and have a bit of fun go for a 1.4. Apparently there isnt a huge amout of differance between the 1.4 and 1.2. My 1.4 suffices, but will be going at teh end of the year in favour of somthing with more power, 1.4T ftw.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
I was in the same position last year, after selling my Polo. I settled for a 1.2 16v Dynamique. Couldn't find a decent 1.5, and didnt want to go private. Drove the 1.4 thought it felt nearly the same as the 1.2.
The 0-60 doesnt bother me, as Im always in 5th by 30mph giving me 48.2mpg. Because I do the M25 everyday, I dont really get over 60! and the times I do it handles well all the way to 108mph (GPS'd).

Ph1 172 + Combo van
if i had to make the decision on getting my first car again.. id go for the 1.5 diesel!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
i have a 1.2 16v as my first car...wish id spent a bit more and got the 1.5 tbh.

Inferno Orange 182 FF
sod buyin a 1.2
i did that, my mum didnt want me to have a 1.4 as it was too powereful (apparently) i bought it at 16 tho, passed my test reaslised it was slow as hell and changed it 6months after for a 1.6, there goes mums idea of being too powerful :rasp: the amount of money i lost just by mum sayin i cant have a 1.4 was stupid tbh!
so id say 1.5 dci! ive test drove one and loved it, (from what i remember)
failin that 1.4

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
1.2 16v is a great first car, quite nippy and good fun, quicker than most 1.2s and it will eat up 106 quicksilvers

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my mk3 1.2 16v runabout is on 70k and goes like f**k compaired too any mk2 1.2 clio for some WEIRD reason!! much more torque around town, 30mph is fine in 5th so there not as bad as they sound. best test drive one though.

dci would be my choice tho!

DCI is the pick of the bunch but more expensive to buy in the first place and diesel is 10p/litre more expensive at the pump. Bearing in mind a 1.2 16v does 45mpg+ theres not alot in it.
In loved my 1.2, I would have another one, great fun car, nippy enough.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
1.4 Dynamique+ FTFW! Nippy, better interior trim level, great MPG return even round town, doesnt get offended to be pushed harder occasionally either! my last renewal with mine was £720 fully comp with 0NCB.
Cant fault my lil car tbh!

Maybe slightly biased here! :D

Save your cash. Mk1 ph3 1.2 for a couple of years. Spend £500-800 on it. Cheap to insure, run and fix.