ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT Turbo conversion

Thinking of doing this myself with a few mates who have some mechanical knowledge,

i have rebuilt the 2L engine in the car now which was succesfull,

Could some one shed some light on this and tell me:

How hard it is to do?

I will have a rear end smashed turbo.

What work is involved in?

Aproximate cost in parts after having the turbo 5?

cheers

I think the wiring is a bit of a mition matey u need a new loom etc.

Parts wise compared to a 16v parts are cheap. But that depends on where u get it from certain tuners add loads on just because of who they are.

Mk4 golf gti

i saw a thread bout this on anuva forum and it seems a lot of work and id say it hard 2 find a mint gtt engine but if u can go 4 it at least it slightly diff 2 da norm

Quote: Originally posted by tomclio1.2 on 04 July 2003

16v turbo all the way!!

(slightly less work)
is it possible to turbo the 16v engine with the 2.0 16v bottom end??

AT THE MOMENT THE CAR LOOKS SPOT ON COMPLETELY SMOOTHED NO HANDLES OR LOCKS DROPPED 60MM ON 16" SPRAYED IN DIAMOND WHITE WITH A CREAM PEARL, JUST WANT THE DUMP VALVE TO GET THAT EXTRA ATTENTION,

CURRENTLY RUNNING A WILLY ENGINE IN IT WITH CAMS, PORT POLISH, FULL STAINLESS EXHAUST WITH DE-CAT AND STRAIGHT THRU, CHIPPED

IT WILL BEAT MY MATES GT TURBO WHICH JUST HAS BEEN CHIPPED WITH DE-CAT AND INDUCTION KIT

i have done 9 of these conversions now and believe me, a std cliogtt is quiker than a std clio16v, my company has 2 of these ourselfs, one is mild running 14 psi and the other is a little raw running 25psi, both these cars are everyday cars so its not a demo car that just sits in the workshop looking pretty, if your serious about the conversion or just want a chat about spec and possibilities clio16v boy, please feel free to pm me,

i fink you might wana read what 16v boy wrote mate!

his clio at the mo aint a std 16v is it?

1.its basically a williams which are 2.0i,faster than the normal 1.8i 16v clio

2.its got sh*t loadsa work done to it prob running bout 165bhp from the mods he wrote above,the ggt he said he beat was more or less standard the 1s your talking about clearly aint standard how many standard ggt run 14psi?

they run bout 7-8 psi standard?

cor, dont get ahead of yourself there!

i mean, what std engine needs cams, exhaust and an ECU.............and a port polish......dont want boundary layers now do we!......no, their bad!

clio 16v boy said he beat a gtt,correct?

dingergtt said "i have done 9 of these conversions now and believe me,a standard gtt is quicker than a std clio 16v"

sounded to me like he was saying that clio 16v boy dint beat this gtt?am i wrong?

i was just saying that his wasnt a standard "16v" clio

i personally wouldnt take a solid 2.0l lump out to put a gtt lump in which are very prone to faults just for the sake of a tish

my opinion

to clear a few thing up, firstly i was not implying that clio16v boy didtn beat the gtt,, secondly i said a std cliogtt is quiker than a std 16v,

thirdly from the mods that clio16v boy has done it seem that he has only raised the bhp slightly, yes those mods make alot of difference and doesnt mean the 20 lump is safe,

and lastly, like any engine, its as reliable as the owner,

its all about personal preference, some like the thrills of the turbo and somelike the smooth power of a 16v,

the fact that i origanally pointed out, was that a gtt has got no brain so it cant be chipped and unless the gtt was the last of them made it would of not had a cat origanally, unless the bloke he raced was making it up then it was probally std,

a few mods to the gtt lump which would cost you well under 200 pounds will make 165 bhp

possibly the owners then!lol

heard alot of bad things from several mates who have owned them.would still stick with the 2.0l lump everytime.

it seems like i got my wires crossed there,easy done.

its good to see opinions dama16v, i mean! where would we be if we all agreed with each other, there would only be one car in the world andit would be very slow carry 50 passengers and get 400 miles to the gallon,

and it would probally be made by microsoft,lol

mind you it might crash when you least expected it to:)

Seen the lad with the gtt tonight it is a gt turbo raider on a j plate one of the last ones produced, he reckons i would blow the turbo if i put the engine in purely down to my driving due to my age he is 26 driving steady where as i am 19 with a 2.0 16v riding it around harshly, the car has had £10,000 spent o it including buying it for 2K a year and a half ago, the first engine i blew up just sounded bad then just didnt hardly run at all, bought a 1.8 16v engine again put that in and lost oil and the engine seized up so i bought the willy engine had the head work done and that, fitted that that has been out 4 times since january because of tranmission problems just finally got the car sorted running right and almost looking right, took into the town centre last night got loads of attention with it so gonna call it aday with it now, apart from the engine trouble just about every else that could go wrong has gone wrong leaking water into car, heater matrix bursting, dials not working, brake pipes braking, fuel pump packing up, radiator going starter motor on the firsy 1.8 engine dropping off,

Result = Car ok

£10,000 bank loan

£1000 insurance being paid off monthly

£3800 on credit cards

£2000 bank loan

Wish a bought a Vauxhall

mailto:LOL@pualROBO">LOL@pualROBO

Ive just got rid of my basically standard clio 16v and picked up the 14psi clio that Dinger is talking about. And it is a lot faster than my 16v was

All i can say is that 25psi car is a monster and it still has traction. That car will destroy most things