ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gumball Rally Type Thing for Cancer Research UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without meaning to sound too negative, I'm not too sure now. Lands End <> John O Groats would of meant everyone would have done the a reasonably similar mileage regardless of where they were in the country, but as it stands now I can see a few problems...

- The new route has no real appeal to sponsors, tell people you are doing the entire length of the country and people sit up and take notice, tell them you are doing, erm, Liverpool to Liverpool via Scotland and Newcastle and it just doesn't seem to generate any response (and I did test this out at work today with a few people who were originally interested)

- The new route will also not appeal to as many entrants in my opinion. Lands End to John O Groats (or the other way around, it doesn't matter) would see virtually everyone doing approx 1600-1900 miles, regardless of location. However the new route has people having a relatively easy 1000 miles, but many more having up to 1800 to cover. When you look at it many people in the South or North (myself included) are only covering about 100-150 miles less than they would have on the original full-country route.

- Cost, a horrible one I know but £395? 100 entrants will bring in just shy of £40,000. At £60 a room per night (just as an example) thats 'only' £12k spent with two hotel stops. What exactly does the remaining £28k go on? As an example I picked off Google, the Mongol Rally costs £200 and covers 3 weeks and 8,000 miles, that includes parties and the huge task of sorting visa's for everyone (43 entrants last year).

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I agree with thepoints about the route ukaskew. The remaining £28k goes to the charity that the whole thing is about!!

Im not as sure as I was either due to date and route but would still sponser someone who was doing it.

(hit edit button by error - Griff)

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilJohn said:
I agree with thepoints about the route ukaskew. The remaining £28k goes to the charity that the whole thing is about!!

Surely it would be better if we only paid £150 each or whatever, then raised as much money for charity individually? Say with a minimum suggested target of a few hundred each.

172 Cup
I made the same comment a few days ago about the route. Shame it's been changed.

As it's for an extremely good cause I was looking forward to 2 days of driving through the whole country while no doubt promoting the charity as we went. However I'm now unsure as to how willing potential sponsors will be upon finding out this is now effectively a 1 day run through Scotland with the second day spent at what in their eyes is a "Hot hatch meet"..

DjTimP said:
£395??? it is £250 for 1 car and 2 people.

Straight from the horses mouth, as it were...

"The entrance fee for the Drive4Life 2006 is £395. This is for a car plus two people. This fee is to cover the cost of hotels, legal costs and different venues where events will be held."

http://drive4life.net/dfl/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,33/

There is no mention of any of that £395 going to charity, and I'd personally rather pay the exact costs required and then donate what I'm comfortable with on my sponsor form (or spread across everyone elses sponsor forms)

Last edited:
  Civic Vtec y0
The reason the route was changed was because after much investigation there was no where at John O' Groats which would hold 100cars before they all start and there would be no chance of getting a hotel to acommodate us all so every one would have to make there way up to John O' Groats on the morning of the event starting, again this is more hassel! Therefore the event would need to start in somewhere like inverness or aberdeen to make it safe to run.

I know it sounds better saying you are going the entire lenght of the country but there was too many problems arranging it, if you want I can go in to detail but it will take me a while. I only arrange this in my spare time so therefore time is very very limtied so I want to arrange a charity event that wont mean I have to work monday 2 friday 9 til 5 arranging it!

The total cost per car (2 people) is around £200 with the rest going to charity as I know for a fact many people will not bother to raise any money so I want a considerable donation from everyone. Any extra money will all be given to charity, I can assure you. I will even let everyone see all my reciepts after the event to prove where all the money is going if that would make you feel better? By the sounds of things you are going to raise money and I thank you for that but there will be people who dont!

At the end of the day the main objective from this event is to raise a considerable amount of money for Cancer Research Uk and that is what I intend to do.

I will set up a poll to see which run is prefered between potenial drivers, if its lands end 2 J-O-G then I will look in to chageing it.

Any more questions then please email me

ryan@drive4life.net
(domain paid for from my own money)

172 Cup
The poll would be a good idea imo. How about a section on the site to show who's signed up so far?

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
wait, i thought that it was 60 pounds to enter? or 200 if you wanted hotel accomodation?

what happened to this as i was planning just to have the 60 quid and rough it, then give the rest to charity and whatever else i made

Civic Vtec y0
I needed a definate number 4 a hotel b4 i booked it so therefore I couldnt have ppl just entering as I wouldnt know.

I have had 2 book the hotels on the assumption that I will fill all the places, and had 2 pay a deposit for both of them out of my own pocket, well thanks 2 bank of scotland 4 a credit card lol

None at the moment
i would definatly be up for it, i may be able to help you with some sticker and stuff for the cars on the cheap!

S2000
I may have to reconsider at that price TBH. I wouldn't mind paying about £60 but £395 is just far, far too much for me. I wouldn't want to have people sponsor me and then have to say XXX amount will be going to the entry fee.

Civic Vtec y0
The fee has been talked about in most of the forums and I'll be honest, every one has te same opinion as you. So we will have a wee vote on here to decide what I should do about it, keep it the way it is with a donation included or have the price cover only the costs and then really encourage people to rasie as much money as possible?

What do you's all think?

modded 04 Clio 1.2
i was really interested in this until i saw the price. i am still interested but not sure if i could afford the required £395. will try to get it before the deadline and enter.
saying that though i would have more incentive to do it if it was from john ogroats to lands (or the other way round) plus more people would sponsor more money for this rather than liverpool to newcastle and back!!!

Civic Vtec y0
It was impossible tor un it from J O G to lands end as we couldnt get hotels at J O G, which would mean people would have to drive all the way up there in the moring before the days driving, it just wouldnt b safe

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
Theres no way im missing FCs this year.
but id just prolly save £390 and go there rather than liverpool and newcastle.
i was really up for LE > JOG. think everyones making valid points here, its ok saying its all for charity, but the people giving up thier time and spending their petrol money need to enjoy it as well.

Nealy 16v do u make stickers?
im helping Ryan with the logo's will prolly need to talk to you about whats easist and cheepest with reguards to the stickers, colours styles ect.

fingers crossed this will be a quality event.

Civic Vtec y0
its not too late to change things, reading all the past comments i think it wod def b better 2 make it lands end 2 JOG, it would mean adding another day on to the event as well, which would be good.

I devised a new plan quickly in my head, start at lands end on the saturday and drive to somewhere close to the FCS and stay over night. sunday morning go to the FCS 4 the day. after that head back on the road to a overnight stop some where about 3-4 hours drive away? on the monday set back off 4 JOG and finish on the monday night? it would mean that our big party night would b on the sunday night as we couldnt get a hotel at JOG

tiTTy & SV650
I used to pretty much do the whole A9 every weekend from Perth all the way to near John O Groats, know every overtaking oppurtunity there lol

good fun bit of road but very tight and twisty in places (which is all the more fun) but be warned lol

no fixed speed cameras after inverness, after Aviemore even... but ocassionally you'll find a traffic cop so keep ur eyes open. Never seen a camera van north of aviemore either.

Word of warning it's a 60 limit (except on dual carriageway stretches) but you can sit all day at 80 and never have a problem trust me did it twice a week for 13 months lol

but when passing through towns (particularly north of inverness eg. Tain where Glenmorangie whisky is made) slow to 60 as that's where the police care, on the open rd they arent too fussed what you do IMO.

Also there's feck all places to stay in John O Groats, it's s**t! lol

tiTTy & SV650
be aware that aviemore is only half way between Glasgow and Thurso / John O Groats i.e. it's 120 miles from Inverness to Thurso, let alone John O Groats.

check out bbc radio 1 they did it when i was up there with an a-team van etc

can i just ask, as i cant be a*sed to read through the previous 180 odd posts - when is this due to take place as I am interested?

Cheers!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
looks like this idea has died lol. i dont like the race idea, it shouldnt ave a winner....also 3 days is a long time....people have to work.

Turbos.
I can see organisation being a problem, looks like a job for more than one person. You'll want to limit the amount of people or it will just get out of control!

172 Cup
It's been well over a month since anyone posted hence I bumped it up..

Not had any answers from the organiser either.

Civic Vtec y0
Alrite guys, heres the latest. Lack of interest has prevent the event from going any further. Heres what I propose to do tho, in the late Summer sometime have a John o' Groats to Lands End run and keep it really informal, just camp over somewhere and have a big BBQ and beers etc. I will start another thread up when I have every detail confirmed so that it makes it easier and people are not having to look through the entire thread to find information.

I will open it up to ClioSport first and see how many places I can fill from here and then if need be spread the word around some other clubs. However i am keeping the numbers limited to around 30 or so.

Cost, basically all it will cost is the price of a tent in a camp site for two nights, I will phone campsites and try and get discounts etc. and also a few quid for the BBQ.

This thread will be closed as the original event is no longer running so therefore if you have any questions then please PM me

Cheers

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.