ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gutted... (Long)

2008 Albi 197
Apologies now for the long post!

Have had a slight vibration through the steering wheel at speed so popped it into my local garage today to get the tracking and balancing looked at hoping that would solve it.

An hour later I get a phone call to tell me that my offside front wheel has a flat spot and I basically need a new wheel. I didn't really understand what that meant at this point and was at work so I told them not to do any work and I'd fetch my car after work and they could show me what was wrong.

I get to the garage and the chap on reception explains a bit more and says if I want a look for myself they'll get it up on the ramps for me to see.

First thing I thought was F*CK! The inner side of offside front wheel looked like it had been smacked with a sledgehammer, there was an obvious flat area which was causing the vibration (I wish I'd taken pics while it was up there but I never even thought about it).

Now this is where the plot thickens. The mechanic noticed that my car had 3 original Michelin tyres still on it which had about 1000 miles left on them, but my front nearside tyre was a Continental and had over twice the tread on it. He then had a look at the dates on the wheels and tyres and finds that its a year newer than the other 3 wheels - and its the only perfect wheel without a flat spot as we checked the back ones while I was there and they both have small areas of it :(

However, this has lead me to believe that this damage was there prior to me buying the car, and that they've repplaced the most seriously damaged wheel with a new one, because I've never done anything that would screw the wheels up like that, yet Renault have supposedly checked the car all over and sold it to me stating it was perfectly fine.

Can I challenge them on this now, and is 3 replacement alloys to much to ask for? Otherwise I'm going to have to eventually fork out for 3 new alloys!

Will try to get some photos tomorrow if i can.

PH1 172
The garage may turn round and say that you have put the other 3 alloys on just to get them replaced and were not the 3 original wheels on there when they sold you the car :(

Hmmm, i'd not be happy at all. Thing is though (as said) they will just say that you must have done it, I can't really see you getting anythnig out of them tbh.

2008 Albi 197
The garage may turn round and say that you have put the other 3 alloys on just to get them replaced and were not the 3 original wheels on there when they sold you the car :(

Well this is what I thought, but I'm booked in at Renault on Monday because the bloke on the phone said it was impossible for the alloy to be flat and "am I sure I don't mean tyre".....so they can have a look for themselves.

I'm sure the original garage I went to said the wheels have dates/codes which match the car so would prove they are original, but we'll see what Renault have to say - I've got nothing to lose really.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
They'll probably ask why you didn't take the car back straight after you bought it to report the vibration

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
u wont get any new alloys out of um trust me, i work at a renault garage.

2008 Albi 197
They'll probably ask why you didn't take the car back straight after you bought it to report the vibration

Because I never had any vibration until last week after Renault had my car back in for the fourth time to fix something I noticed in the test drive and which they told me would be sorted before I had the car. This is the third delarship I've had a car from now and they've all been utter sh*t tbh.

chances are slim to none, on a side note ive got 2 dynamique S 16'' wheels for sale if thats what you need?

Price/condition mate? If I have to fork out for them myself then I'll only be getting ones that don't have a single mark on them and are in mint condition.

2008 Albi 197
*UPDATE*

So after having my car in at Renault yesterday and them telling me the car wasn't like that when we sold it, it was checked blah blah, I did some research of my own today.

I contacted the previous owner of the car who were a finance company, and they had a record if the car and details of damage to it - however they couldn't send me the information due to belonging to another garage, data protection etc etc

The bloke on the phone did give me the contact details of the garage it came to them from, and after getting in touch with them I've managed to get myself an inspection report with damage information AND the photos below.

It states the front passenger side wheel and tyre (the only one with no damage now) was replaced, along with a wing mirror. Do I have a stronger case now?

Attachments

• 41042651-007.jpg
    41042651-007.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 41042651-008.jpg
    41042651-008.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 28

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
f**king hell sherlock! Good work!

Get down there and get it sorted! Welll done for persistance mate.

Clio 172 Sport
I'd say you have good good case now to go along with the dates on the wheels. Hope you get this sorted ASAP.

Good job on the research :)

2008 Albi 197
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Spoke to the sales manager yesterday at the dealer after I found this, explained my problem and he gave me the usual "we checked it twice before you had it and there was no damage", until I said I had a copy of a damage report and photos to go with it - he started to pay more attention then.

I sent him the inspection report and photos, and he said he'd look at it today and get back to me. 5.30pm and still no phone call so I ring up to find that he's not at work :S and is back on Saturday, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and ring back then to see what the outcome is.

still probly say that uve buckled the others

They probably will, then I'll be taking it up with Renault UK until I get something out of this. I know 100% I haven't damaged the wheels, and I'm not the sort of person who would claim they were like it if I had done it, but I'm also not letting this go easily!

Getting a DVLA report by next week with the previous owners details so I can do a bit more investigating. Some of you might think I'm taking this too far, but I didn't expect to be buying a damaged car from a dealership!

Lionel Richie
done well there, been driving round for three months with dodgy wheels and you've only just noticed a problem????? i would've told you to jog on!

but then it should've been spotted before sale