ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GYMKHANA

LY Megane R26
Watched this last night after DannyR posting it on facebook, awesome stuff! As said its the best one yet!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just managed to watch it in peace and quiet. (Wifes on the school run)

FLOL @ people calling him an average driver. I class myself as average because I haven't crashed for 13 years. This bloke is on another level.

Granted there are people that are better than him, but then my dads bigger than your dad etc.

Block is a great driver, amazing showman and lets be honest, he's living the dream. 99% of this forum would do anything to do what he does for a living. And earn the money he does!!

Average... LOL!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Daniel, it would be interesting to know for the people who consider block to be a 5/10 driver where they see themselves on the same scale.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL, so you have to rate yourself as a top driver before you can form a relative opinion of someone else's ability?

I'm amazed no one other than myself and Turkish can see the how the huge marketing and production budget coupled with some well executed viral videos puts him on a pedestal for others to worship.

Comments like "could you do this/that/the other and land within 2 mm of the barrier" don't count IMO as there is no way on earth that he could/would be able to nail that first time out without multiple attempts to get the right shot in the can.

Granted, if he could, he'd be a god. But he can't.

Unless someone can link me to a "making of" video that shows one continuous stream of unedited perfectly executed stunts? If so, my opinion will change, but until then, my opinion is right :rasp:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL, so you have to rate yourself as a top driver before you can form a relative opinion of someone else's ability?

No of course not, but if calling someone an "average driver" like turkish, you have to be prepared to rate yourself on the same scale.

I'm amazed no one other than myself and Turkish can see the how the huge marketing and production budget coupled with some well executed viral videos puts him on a pedestal for others to worship.
I am even more amazed that you think that isnt totally obvious to all of us, its a PRODUCED video, not just some gopro footage someone happened to capture of him driving once through town, of course there are multiple shots etc, you can see that from the tyre marks.
You and turkish seem to think you have somehow noticed something we havent, but on the contrary I can see he has had 5-10 attempts probably at most of it, and IMHO nailing it in that few goes to the level of closeness he gets (literally a couple of mm a lot o he time) is exactly why I think he is such an awesome demo driver.

Comments like "could you do this/that/the other and land within 2 mm of the barrier" don't count IMO as there is no way on earth that he could/would be able to nail that first time out without multiple attempts to get the right shot in the can.

Well given 5-10 attempts could you do what he does then? I sure as hell couldnt, would be more like 5-10K attempts, lol

Unless someone can link me to a "making of" video that shows one continuous stream of unedited perfectly executed stunts? If so, my opinion will change, but until then, my opinion is right :rasp:

Tough crowd

225 meg
I'd be asking to get out after about 50 yards. Lol.

I felt sick as a passenger going round Brands. I'd sure as s**t be making a soggy mess of peas and carrots appear in his footwell.

Think my stomach would be the same, i went a run with .GAZ. In the epic ph1 he had and a felt sick after 50 yards lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I doubt Ken Block is easy to get a passenger ride with, but going out with Porkie is his westy is pretty close in terms of performance, and although not as sideway as Ken, its still more than enough for most folk, and he's normally pretty easy going about who jumps in with him.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Well given 5-10 attempts could you do what he does then? I sure as hell couldnt, would be more like 5-10K attempts, lol

No way could I do that, I'm not a racing driver, I'm your average joe, nothing more, nothing less.

He's talented, I never disputed that, but the way some hold him in such high regard for what he does in these videos I find a bit laughable.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No way could I do that, I'm not a racing driver, I'm your average joe, nothing more, nothing less.

He's talented, I never disputed that, but the way some hold him in such high regard for what he does in these videos I find a bit laughable.

TBH mate that is just the same with all celebreties, like the way people massively fancy kelly brook etc, but you can find a girl as fit in any highstreet most days if you take away the fancy photoshop skills and amazing photography etc, likewise with singers who have become famous etc.
Ken block is 50% a very good driver, and 50% a very well marketed internet hit, its being naive to ignore either half, so those like turkish who seem to only see the production and marketting etc and not the driving are being just as naive as those who see only the driving and ignore all the production etc.
Personally I just enjoy his videos for what they are, an epic demo driver shown at his absolute best, I dont think that they are an average day out for him, but I also dont think that you could just drop in any generic "average race driver" and expect to get anything like the same film, there are VERY few people who could do what he does, including no doubt all of those that reguarly beat him in WRC stages, I bet none of them could do this sort of driving as well as he does even though in a rally stage they might outperform him slightly.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Anyone on here been to watch autotest/sprint racing?

Yes, and none of the autotest I have seen has involved 100mph drifts or anything along those lines TBH.
Its all very slow speed by comparison, thats where Block is unusual, he is combining the machinery and speeds you would expect in top line motorsport with the accuracy of autotest.

Very broad set of skills that he has!

Evo 5 RS
I'll be honest I didn't expect it to put one up on the older videos but that was amazing.

Just lol at people that think Block is an average driver just because he doesn't excel compared to some of the others...

Get real.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Stay with her kenny... (not sure if anyone on here is into fords enough to get that joke, lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wARr3gvIBSw

He really is just very good at turning his hand to anything in a car, he's said himself he'll never be a WRC champion, but its impressive how close he gets for someone new to the sport.

182, SQ7, Trafic
Anyone on here been to watch autotest/sprint racing?

Loeb panned the silly hat Gymkana brigade at their own game btw.

You saw the latest results at the X Games this year then? When Ken won a couple rounds but Loeb won marginally?

I'd hardly say panned.

Clio 182
Well that was rather good, didn't expect much after the last one. The man's got some serious car control, I did wince a bit on some of the landings though. Poor Fiesta.

Chris.B

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GT TDi

No one would be able to nail any of that first time, surely? Like you say, he would be god-like if he could. I think his skill comes from being able to actually pull off the moves. Different scale, but I don't think F1 drivers/any racing driver would be able to nail any kind of technical driving the first time. Why they have practice. I know the editing of it plays a big part and you don't see any of the behind the scenes but Ken Block isn't an average driver IMO :)

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep

When he was at Trax in 2010 or whenever, he came racing out the tunnel into a playground type area and did loads of drifts and s**t and there wasnt a skid mark on the floor to prove he had done it before.

It just looked like he did what he wants and he didnt f**k up.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You saw the latest results at the X Games this year then? When Ken won a couple rounds but Loeb won marginally?

I'd hardly say panned.

Loeb won by 12 seconds, what's your definition of marginal?

I think his vids are great, but put him into a decent competition like WRC and the guy is average.

Xgames rally cross was pretty much built around block and his abilities and he got his arse handed to him.

He should stick to what he does best.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

I think his vids are great, but put him into a decent competition like WRC and the guy is average.

Xgames rally cross was pretty much built around block and his abilities and he got his arse handed to him.

Showing off infront of pre-pubescent yoofs?

Who really cares whether he's good or not, I'm sure if you were in his shoes you wouldn't really care who you have/haven't impressed. Loaded and the possibilities of doing whatever you wanted to do means he's just having fun. I know if I was minted id be doing all sorts of competitive racing and doing crazy stuff, even if I was completely s**t at it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Block's forte is exhibition style driving not speed, so winning or losing by 12 or 20 seconds isnt especially relevant to that core skillset IMHO, Loeb is the best in the world at going fast in a rally car, no one is going to dispute that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Love this spoof video, its actually really well done, kind of more a tribute than a p1ss take

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlkJ4Jie84&feature=fvst

Shows anyone can look cool with the right production and a few takes, so goes against my own opinion that Block's videos are partly so good because I believe he is very talented as this one is quite good without much talent, lol

People seem to talk about him at the x games but how many watched it? He drove 2/3 laps with three tyres and still finished second in that final!

to compare him to loeb mano et mano is silly. both brilliant drivers, loebs 'possibly' the best the world has seen, dont forget he was handing out whippings to the big guns a decade ago and was up there in his first rally in a saxo against Colin McC, Burns and Makkinen.

Blocks had a few top ten finishes this year in WRC too, top marks.