ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had a crash

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
:(

Driving home from work, going round a large round about and a chap in a fiesta pulls out in front of me.

On the brakes hard and realised there was no stopping in time, so avoiding action taken in the hope that he would do the same, but he didn't he just carried on like I wasn't coming.

Very minor impact, thanks to my attempts to avoid him, but still damage none the less. His car came off worse I think tho.

IMG00145-20101210-1246.jpg

I have spoken to insurance but not made a claim yet as I am waiting to see how he "pleads". I am imagining that he will go for 50:50 and say he was already on the round about which is not true and is a little unfair but at least if he does I don't have to claim so it won't effect my insurance as much, I hope!

The s**t part is that if I had just thought f**k it and locked up and ploughed into the side of him and f**ked his car and mine then it would have been much easier to prove it was his fault apparently, so I could have claimed and got my car sorted very quickly etc... but I guess its not what goes through your mind when someone pulls out in front of you!

Anyway need to get it off my chest!

Cheers Will.:sleepy:

If he claims it goes 50/50 then you'll lose your no claims and have to declare it as an accident. It's bound to go 50/50 tbh, as there's no proof.

Bad luck mate.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
If he claims it goes 50/50 then you'll lose your no claims and have to declare it as an accident. It's bound to go 50/50 tbh, as there's no proof.

Bad luck mate.

Thats what I thought but my insurance seemed pretty sure that if it goes 50:50 then I don't have to claim for my 50, so no excess needs to be paid and also no claim so to lose of NCB. I'm not sure I think thats correct and tend to agree with you. I was also told that I will only loose 2 years of my NCB if it does come to that!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Mate i'd rather that^^ amount of damage all day long! Basically repaint the wing and a local on the front bumper.

If you'd hit him properly it would probably be bye bye Cup.

Oh i'd also make sure you get a Geometry done seeing as the wheel has been caught.

BG182FF
very unlucky mate, but think, it could have been worse! it dont seem too bad from the picture mate

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
even if he did pull out infront of u. u still went INTO him, he would win trust me

Not really. He pulled out in a situation where he should be giving way to traffic coming from the right. He gets hit, he's in the wrong. At worst it should be 50-50.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
even if he did pull out infront of u. u still went INTO him, he would win trust me

That doesn't seem right, surely if you pull out in front of someone and they run into the side of you then it is your fault for pulling out?

Mate i'd rather that^^ amount of damage all day long! Basically repaint the wing and a local on the front bumper.

If you'd hit him properly it would probably be bye bye Cup.

Oh i'd also make sure you get a Geometry done seeing as the wheel has been caught.

Yeah, that's the plan. TBH for know the cosmetics can stay as, get wheel checked and geo re-done and it will be good to go. What I meant by the ploughing into him was that it is just frustrating because I did my best to stop an accident but will probably pay as a result!

very unlucky mate, but think, it could have been worse! it dont seem too bad from the picture mate

Yeah very true and the damage is minor, i can't stress how light a tap it was. Just my wheel tried to open his car up like a tin of sardines!!!

Iceberg 172
Exactly the same happened to me! I took avoiding action and went head on with someone else writing off both cars and deemed as 100% my fault.

Fucked me right up and cost me a fortune!

So I feel your pain!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Exactly the same happened to me! I took avoiding action and went head on with someone else writing off both cars and deemed as 100% my fault.

Fucked me right up and cost me a fortune!

So I feel your pain!

I remember your thread, BG van wasn't it? Its so frustrating. I am very happy with my insurance so far tho, very helpful and positive, which doesn't mean s**t but makes you feel better, plus Brentarce hace been really helpful as well (my broker)

Iceberg 172
I remember your thread, BG van wasn't it? Its so frustrating. I am very happy with my insurance so far tho, very helpful and positive, which doesn't mean s**t but makes you feel better, plus Brentarce hace been really helpful as well (my broker)

Yeah, along a straight road, BG van pulled out from the side of the road at the last minute, I paniced in my 5 day old Cup and slammed the brakes on and stupidly swerved to the right, head on with a 330ci, he drove off without a mark on his van or conscience, I paid my £1000+ excess and ended up with about £2k back after I spent £4700 for a minty mint low mileage cup 5 days before the accident... plus my Insurance has gone from sub £1k to nearly £2k a year.

Most frustrating time of my life I can honestly say. I hope yours gets sorted with less stress and without losing as much cash as my accident caused me!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Yeah, along a straight road, BG van pulled out from the side of the road at the last minute, I paniced in my 5 day old Cup and slammed the brakes on and stupidly swerved to the right, head on with a 330ci, he drove off without a mark on his van or conscience, I paid my £1000+ excess and ended up with about £2k back after I spent £4700 for a minty mint low mileage cup 5 days before the accident... plus my Insurance has gone from sub £1k to nearly £2k a year.

Most frustrating time of my life I can honestly say. I hope yours gets sorted with less stress and without losing as much cash as my accident caused me!

That's so s**t. My excess is only 500 (still a lot). I am just going to let it be for a while and see what his insurance come up with. I don't really want to have to pay out.

DOes anyone know what I could pick up a used wing for from a car that is being broken? and how hard are they to replace?

Iceberg 172
A wing can't cost much more than £50... fitting it sould just be bolts... Mondial Blue Cups breaking anyone!? (I'm presuming that's what yours is!)

Iceberg 172
That's so s**t. My excess is only 500 (still a lot). I am just going to let it be for a while and see what his insurance come up with. I don't really want to have to pay out.

DOes anyone know what I could pick up a used wing for from a car that is being broken? and how hard are they to replace?

I thought my excess was £500... that was actually my voluntary excess! EPIC fail on my part!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I bought a new wing from Renault after mine was cracked. Was £65 from memory.

PH1 V6
It IS the responsibility of the vehicle JOINING a highway to take due care. FACT. if you had pictures to prove that he was pulling out then i would be very surprised if you lost a claim.

"red_beastie" is WRONG.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
A wing can't cost much more than £50... fitting it sould just be bolts... Mondial Blue Cups breaking anyone!? (I'm presuming that's what yours is!)

Yeah its a cup, need to wait til next month before I start spending money tho, xmas presents have cost me a fortune, my gf is getting a new KA for xmas!!!

It IS the responsibility of the vehicle JOINING a highway to take due care. FACT. if you had pictures to prove that he was pulling out then i would be very surprised if you lost a claim.

"red_beastie" is WRONG.

Problem is I haven't got pics to prove it and no skid marks visible, but he admitted where he had come from and was going to, which shows where he entered the round about, but no way I can prove it!

Should have hit him :(

In september I avoided a head on with a Mitsi L200 and ended up buried in a telegraph pole. I'm now £3K out of pocket for the car, plus 6 weeks off work with serious whiplash and the other guy got the minorest of minor scratches on his bumper.

Thats what I thought but my insurance seemed pretty sure that if it goes 50:50 then I don't have to claim for my 50, so no excess needs to be paid and also no claim so to lose of NCB. I'm not sure I think thats correct and tend to agree with you. I was also told that I will only loose 2 years of my NCB if it does come to that!
That doesn't sound right. 50/50 means you were part to blame and therefore your insurance company has to contribute to his repairs.

I can't help but feel this 'recent' thing about accidents going 50/50 all the time is partly responsible for such high premiums. It's almost as though the insurance firms can no longer be bothered with the hassle of apportioning blame, so they just accept that a large percentage of claims will go 50/50, and raise premiums to cover the costs. I'm sure it wasn't like this back in the day. Someone pulls out infront of you and it's 50/50 blame. Like WTF? In other words we can't be bothered with the hassle and expense of trying to prove blame, because nothing is certain these days without CCTV footage, and then only if it's 1080p 30fps to remove ALL doubt, and it doesn't really matter to us TBH because we are increasing premiums by more than enough to compensate.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Exactly. The hassle/time/legal fee's means that a lot of the time it works out cheaper overall for insurers if it's 50/50. It's basically price fixing "we both end up better off, and mr punter pays us more for the privilege."

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
That doesn't sound right. 50/50 means you were part to blame and therefore your insurance company has to contribute to his repairs.

No i think it means his company pays for his repairs and my insurance pay for mine, but if this is the case then I won't claim for mine and will repair it myself. I have been thinking about turning into a track car and buying something else to use as the commuter, so the cosmetics don't have to be perfect!

I can't help but feel this 'recent' thing about accidents going 50/50 all the time is partly responsible for such high premiums. It's almost as though the insurance firms can no longer be bothered with the hassle of apportioning blame, so they just accept that a large percentage of claims will go 50/50, and raise premiums to cover the costs. I'm sure it wasn't like this back in the day. Someone pulls out infront of you and it's 50/50 blame. Like WTF? In other words we can't be bothered with the hassle and expense of trying to prove blame, because nothing is certain these days without CCTV footage, and then only if it's 1080p 30fps to remove ALL doubt, and it doesn't really matter to us TBH because we are increasing premiums by more than enough to compensate.

Exactly. The hassle/time/legal fee's means that a lot of the time it works out cheaper overall for insurers if it's 50/50. It's basically price fixing "we both end up better off, and mr punter pays us more for the privilege."

I completely agree with both of you, if I could prove it was his fault then I would be claiming for my car to be repaired. But because of me trying to avoid the crash it has made it look less clear cut than it actually was.

What are you onna bout? If he's on the roundabout and someone pulls out it's clearly not his fault.

Not really. He pulled out in a situation where he should be giving way to traffic coming from the right. He gets hit, he's in the wrong. At worst it should be 50-50.
^^^^^^ these are right
:lolup::rofl: maybe he should of go go gadget propeller and flew over him!! ffs:quiet:

Wait to see what he says really, did you talk to him after it? and did he sounds like a c**t?

Shame it happened but tbh could have been worse for you

Clio 182
It will be his fault 100% unless he has a witness saying otherwise, as long as the damage is to his offside and not the rear, otherwise it's a likely split.

If it goes 50:50 the companies will split both bills down the middle, you will have to pay half your excess if you decide to claim for your damage (which will probly cover the repair costs anyway)

You only lose 2 years NCD if you have a fault or split claim, makes no difference.

Clio 182
And if it's non fault you might want to express you want a like 4 like courtesy vehicle that ur legally entitled to, CCL do some nice RS Clios ;)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Wait to see what he says really, did you talk to him after it? and did he sounds like a c**t?

Shame it happened but tbh could have been worse for you

Yeah, we both stopped and exchanged details. He was a nice enough guy. He didn't seem to shocked by it all though? Not as much as me, I was shacking loads!

It will be his fault 100% unless he has a witness saying otherwise, as long as the damage is to his offside and not the rear, otherwise it's a likely split.

If it goes 50:50 the companies will split both bills down the middle, you will have to pay half your excess if you decide to claim for your damage (which will probly cover the repair costs anyway)

You only lose 2 years NCD if you have a fault or split claim, makes no difference.

No one stopped as a witness, which is a shame as it would have made it easier to prove it all.

Tbh honest I am very confused by all the insurance stuff. I don't really get where I stand! I wish I properly understood what my options are, think I will give them a call to discuss it again.

And if it's non fault you might want to express you want a like 4 like courtesy vehicle that ur legally entitled to, CCL do some nice RS Clios ;)

I didn't know you were legally entitled to a like for like car?

On another note, I took the car to have the tracking done today, it was slightly out. Had a good look around under the car and it all seems fine. On the was home realise the steering wheel was on the piss, so I went back. They were really helpful and re did it all but its still on the piss, so we had it up on the ramps again and there seems to be a fair bit of play in the steering! Thinking the rack might have been a bit damaged. I had a look at it and its not loose and all the other components seem fine.

Can anyone suggest anything else to check or how to confirm its the rack please?

Last edited:
  BMW bus
Might be worth getting it on a jig to check the chassis isn't bent? It doesnt sound like it would be from your description of the crash, but worth checking? (I'm saying this from experience as I had a very similar crash in my cup, on a roundabout when someone pulled out in front of me and i stoved into the side of them)

Clio 182
If he grazed across your wheel you might have upset the geometry.

You can claim a like 4 like vehicle only if it's not your fault through the other guys insurance

Trophy #387
Because it was on a roundabout and there's no witnesses unfortunately it'll go 50/50 I think.

My brother had an accident on a roundabout and that ended up 50/50, despite everything pointing towards it not being his fault.

He was on the right hand lane of the roundabout going straight on, there was a women in a people carrier on the left hand lane of the roundabout and as he went to turn of the roundabout the women realised it wasn't her exit and swerved back onto the roundabout, causing him to swerve and end up in a row of trees 5ft off the side of the roundabout.

There were about 5 cars that stopped having witnessed the accident but it was a busy roundabout and the policeman on the scene SENT THEM AWAY WITHOUT TAKING ANY OF THEIR DETAILS and therefore he had no one to back up the fact that it was this womans fault.

Despite the woman admitting that she was lost and had gone round the roundabout several times already, their were no witnesses to back my brother up and they went 50/50 because it was a roundabout dispute with no proof going for either of the drivers.

Feel for you bro, unfortunately insurance companies seem to go 50/50 all the time now :(

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Because it was on a roundabout and there's no witnesses unfortunately it'll go 50/50 I think.

My brother had an accident on a roundabout and that ended up 50/50, despite everything pointing towards it not being his fault.

He was on the right hand lane of the roundabout going straight on, there was a women in a people carrier on the left hand lane of the roundabout and as he went to turn of the roundabout the women realised it wasn't her exit and swerved back onto the roundabout, causing him to swerve and end up in a row of trees 5ft off the side of the roundabout.

There were about 5 cars that stopped having witnessed the accident but it was a busy roundabout and the policeman on the scene SENT THEM AWAY WITHOUT TAKING ANY OF THEIR DETAILS and therefore he had no one to back up the fact that it was this womans fault.

Despite the woman admitting that she was lost and had gone round the roundabout several times already, their were no witnesses to back my brother up and they went 50/50 because it was a roundabout dispute with no proof going for either of the drivers.

Feel for you bro, unfortunately insurance companies seem to go 50/50 all the time now :(

It was on a round about, but he pulled out in front of me, think that's the only thing going for me! I hope he has said he pulled out onto the round about. If he has then surely that proves it. He doesn't need to say any more than that, him pulling out makes it his fault!

Does anyone know what I can do if when I speak to the insurance company they say they want to go 50:50, can I contest it?

Also he did not admit liability at the scene as such, no one ever really does. But he did say he pulled out in front of me! I know that sounds the same, but it isn't quite. Should I say to my insurance he admitted pulling out in front of me?

Clio 182
Who are you insured with?

There are two types of incident, yours is: Third party failed to give way. The other type is Third party changed lanes which can go 50:50, if he planly failed to give way then it will be his fault 100% as long as he admits this is what happened to his insurance company.

You cant contest it, at the end of the day if the insurance company think they wil loose out in court then they wont try it.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Who are you insured with?

There are two types of incident, yours is: Third party failed to give way. The other type is Third party changed lanes which can go 50:50, if he planly failed to give way then it will be his fault 100% as long as he admits this is what happened to his insurance company.

You cant contest it, at the end of the day if the insurance company think they wil loose out in court then they wont try it.

I see, thanks for the info. Well as I have said, he failed to give way but it will be hard to prove because of the way we collided. I have been really depressed about it all day, plus not being able to sort the tracking has got me really pissed off. Going to take it to someone else after work tomorrow and see if they have any more luck. Apparently the tracking is spot on now, but the wheel is still on the piss?? Can't be that spot on can it?

Can anyone advise anywhere in or around Coventry to get the tracking etc. checked?