ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Half-Life 2: Revisited

Without doubt, still the best action shooter ever made. Nothing else comes close. To this day the physics are impressive, and actually lend to the gameplay. When you first start getting to grips with the gravity gun, it's bloody brilliant. And it's an old game now - to think that it's never really been bettered is quite special.

The graphics are even still pretty cool almost ten years on. I'm running it on a Mac at 2880x1800 and it looks dated, but pin sharp and perfectly good enough to make it a very enjoyable experience.

If Valve ever make a Half-Life 3, I am going to explode with excitement.

There a Steam for mac version or you running it bootcamp? If the former I may download it as it'll no doubt look better on my mac than the xbox version on the orange box.

Can't agree with you more! I had been playing it a Good year or two before It got released as part of the Orange box on the consoles - That's when my mates when mad on it too (not the same on consoles, at all).

I'm certain they made the original announcement saying there would be HL2 episodes 1, 2 & 3, so wherever we head next will be interesting. Can't wait for it (personally, I can really see the story line crossing paths with Portal).

The graphics are even still pretty cool almost ten years on. I'm running it on a Mac at 2880x1800 and it looks dated, but pin sharp and perfectly good enough to make it a very enjoyable experience.

I would be super exited when HL3 comes out!
I didn't know you been playing games at 2880x1800 on your Mac though -
It is. Especially in 2880x1800. Pics of you playing Half-Life 2?

Obviously it still looks a bit rubbish, but at 2880x1800 you don't need any anti-aliasing. lol.
Gonna play through Half-Life 2 as well.

Playing the original Half-Life in 2880x1800 Retina.

;)

Not a 320d
Most over-hyped game in existence. Graphics and Engine were good.

But the game and story made no sense and was generally a poor game all round.

Half Life 1 was the same.

Ph2 Clio 172
Try the Fake Factory Cinematic Mod. No idea if it works on Mac, but it bumps the graphics right up and makes playing though HL2 now feel a lot less dated.

Plus if your feeling rapey there is a selection of high def Alyx models for you to choose from.

Not a 320d
Yeah. You need trolling lessons really. Should never have been let loose in the Internet without them.

Im not trolling. I havent trolled for over 3 days.

On SRS note. Im not trolling. HL2 sucked more than my 320d in a straight line.

It was horse s**t. Started as a good story line. But once you got to the coast levels it sucked and you felt lost. As though the devs couldnt be fucked anymore.

What the f**k is your problem. If youre such a pro troll then where does your hatred spring from?

Not a 320d
Roy how old are you?

Your profile says 58 but everyone knows people that age dont know about computers. Plus a 58 year old would not drive a Ford Focus RS. By that age anyone with any sense would be driving a decent merc.

I Imagine you to be about 30-35 from the car you drive.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Try the Fake Factory Cinematic Mod. No idea if it works on Mac, but it bumps the graphics right up and makes playing though HL2 now feel a lot less dated.

Plus if your feeling rapey there is a selection of high def Alyx models for you to choose from.

I was about to suggest this also, I've no idea if its available for Mac either but it makes a massive difference.

RX7 FD
Im not trolling. I havent trolled for over 3 days.

On SRS note. Im not trolling. HL2 sucked more than my 320d in a straight line.

It was horse s**t. Started as a good story line. But once you got to the coast levels it sucked and you felt lost. As though the devs couldnt be f**ked anymore.

What the f**k is your problem. If youre such a pro troll then where does your hatred spring from?

HL1 / HL2 were genre defining games. From story all the way through to opponent AI and spawned some of the most played mods ever. Counter Strike / Team Fortress / Day of Defeat. Pretty sure that is the concensus across massive parts of the gaming community. To this day for me still the best examples of FPS's made,

Roy how old are you?

Your profile says 58 but everyone knows people that age dont know about computers. Plus a 58 year old would not drive a Ford Focus RS. By that age anyone with any sense would be driving a decent merc.

What does his age have to do with what he drives ..... even more importantly what does it have to do with his opinions on HL?!

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I prefer 1 over 2. Anybody who hasn't given Black Mesa a play should get on it!

They're waiting for you Gordon...

F82 M4
Most over-hyped game in existence. Graphics and Engine were good.

But the game and story made no sense and was generally a poor game all round.

Half Life 1 was the same.

G4L8X13H.jpg

Seriously, that is the most incorrect post I've ever read. There's no "IMO" about it, your opinion is the wrong one. It was the benchmark for FPS's and the inspiration for all FPS's ever since. Even your shitty COD games would of taken inspiration from point of theirs lives from HL1 & 2. There's a reason they are both the highest rated games of all time and both won an unbelievable amount of GOTY's, they don't just hand them out!

Roy how old are you?

a/s/l

Not a 320d
There is an IMO about it. HL may have spawned DOD and CS etc which were great but Half Life sucked full stop. Ahead of its time maybe, but the game still sucked. s**t story through and through.

The ASL question was about something else. Just Hijacking.

PS. I f**king hate COD.

The first and maybe second were good. And Black Ops. Rest are a pile of fail

Not a 320d
Im not trolling god dammit.

I am serious.

Half Life Sucked. Half Life 2 sucked. Half life 3 will be weak as piss too.

If there is ever a Half-Life 3, or an Episode 3, it will be an excellent game. Generally, people are usually disappointed after a hyped release because they allowed themselves to become too hyped up and expected the game to iron their shirts and everything.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Half-life and Half-life 2 (especially Episode 2) were awesome, I always remember being in Dixons trying to decide whether I should buy HL1 or not (having never heard or seen of it before) little did I know it was probably the best game purchase I will have ever made.

On my way to Nova Prospekt now. Such a brilliant game! Must be at least my 5th complete play through and it's as good now as it was when it was first released. Knowing all the great stuff that's coming up makes it even better.

Ravenholm is bloody tricky at times though. Often irritatingly so.

Fiesta ST-3
On my way to Nova Prospekt now. Such a brilliant game! Must be at least my 5th complete play through and it's as good now as it was when it was first released. Knowing all the great stuff that's coming up makes it even better.

Ravenholm is bloody tricky at times though. Often irritatingly so.

But we don't go to Ravenholm, right?

What a game, a masterpiece IMO.

Agree on it setting benchmarks for FPS games. Horrendous trolling by Toby

I must admit, the playing it through for the hundreth time going from PC to the console, the achievements did keep me a little more amused. E.g. Completing all of HL2 without firing any bullets (Shotgun shells, rpgs, grenades, and GG dont count), not touching the sand during the antlion levels (lots of rage quits) etc. Just want the next installment now!

I might have to get steam onto the new laptop and give it a play through.

But we don't go to Ravenholm, right?

Ha! Each time I play the game, I end up wishing that were true. But then, I suppose that's kind of the point of the whole level. Once it's over there's a brilliant feeling of coming up into the light. Quite clever design really.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
HL1 and HL2... the Bernard Matthews of FPS's. Turkeys? No. Bootiful? You bet. Damn this thread. I now have to install and play through again... :) Happy days.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Anyone who doesn't like half life 1 or 2 is a full on lady boy.

In fact an orchestra of lady boys.

Stupid is stupid.

Accepted fact. Ask any gamer. Any real gamer. Even Tony Blair said that Half-Life 2 was the best shooter he had ever played.

My god HL2 was amazing, I never actually played 1 :eek:. Must download Steam and re install 2. I liked the role play mods and such that came from it also. Oh and Gmod what a game hours of my life where lost to Gmod may they RIP.

My god HL2 was amazing, I never actually played 1 :eek:

The first game is fantastic also, but it has some serious flaws in today's context. The controls are unforgiving and feel very digital. There's not much in the way of 'feel' to it, and there seems to be no inertia or acceleration. One small tap of 'W' can send you shooting off the edge of a cliff in an instant. It makes jumping sections especially annoying. Half-Life 2 of course is way more natural feeling and doesn't suffer in the same way, but there are still a few moments where you'll curse the controls for getting you killed. Then again, it's not really surprising given the amount of stuff you have to do in the game. It's a bit different to "go find the glowing yellow RPG launcher, then go over there and hit that tank exactly three times"