ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

halfords oil

anybody used this before because im gonna supply my own parts when i get my car serviced (halfords 5w-40wfully synthetic) or is there a better oil out there of simular value which is suitable for a mk2 172

thanks guys:D

Generally speaking Ive always preferred Castrol GTX Magnetec, but that is pretty pricey compared to standard oil (although worth it, especially in your engine).

However, as long as its fully synthetic and supports the required oil range (check your manual) you should be okay.

get the 24 litres from debra at total butler, it costs £64, thats for the proper 5w-40w elf synthetic stuff that renault recomends, and that is the delivered to your door price.

i just got some and her service is amazing, pm me if you need the phone number

I used the halfords 5w-40 for a top up and it seemed fine to me, its not cheap at £8.99 for 1l but it is fully synth and I believe its top drawer.

If you look at the back of the halfords oil ull see all of the quality standards that it has passed, from memory all halfords oils (excluding the 20w50 sh*te) have passed 5 quality standards as where castrol oils have only passed 4. Now this doesnt make castrol any worse as for all we know it may pass the 5th standard but just never tested but to me thats telling me the halfords oil is just as good!!

Quote: Originally posted by 172sport on 05 February 2005

dont really need that much oil 182blue the missus would only moan about it being in the way:cry:

Yeah but youre missing the point 172sport...................if you buy the Halfords oil it will cost you £45 for the 5 litres you will have to buy.............................but if you buy the 24 liters then you have enough for 4 oil changes and after the second you have more than paid for it with plenty to spare for a few more oil changes eh ;)

You could always try and find someone locally to go halfers with you on the cost.........just a thought and saves you plenty eh :D

Cya Stu

lol, yeh edgerfs she is a nosey bugger, i tried to get the pic without her in it but she just kept coming back.

172sport like stu says you can get 24 litres for £64 when you will pay poss £40 for similar oils (and there only 5litres), this is also the renault recomended oil too, and also like stu says why not do what i did and go halves with someone on the forum then, theres bound to be someone local too you that will take half, then its only cost you £32:)

In the summer when my car gets its first service Im probably going to buy from Debra, the economics make senese. However if you just need a top up then the 1L from halfords is fine :)