ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Halfords own oil

LY FF182
Hi, for years I've been told Halfords own oil is absolute shite and causes damage to engines. I was in Halfords the other day and was wondering if that's still the case as it's pretty cheap.

So who uses it and is it ok?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
It's on offer at the minute too £10 for 4l.

I can't see how it can be bad when it meets all the manufacturers specs (ren700/710 etc)

LY FF182
That's why I thought about it!!

When I was at college (mechanic course) the tutor said Halfords stuff is used engine oil filtered a couple times.. I've no idea now so that's why I'm asking?

Clio 182 arctic
That's why I thought about it!!

When I was at college (mechanic course) the tutor said Halfords stuff is used engine oil filtered a couple times.. I've no idea now so that's why I'm asking?

I can almost guarantee your tutor was talking nonsense. Used oil....really. There's no way that would fly.

I used to use the mobil 1 0w40 stuff ad various other 5w40 'top spec' stuff for years.
I have now switched to the 'cheap' stuff and have no issues at all. My dad works for a motor factors and can get 5L for £12 in 5w40 FS. (pure gold 5w40 or something?)
I certainly don't skimp on maintenance requirements but £12 vs £50/60 can soon add up over time.

LY FF182
I mean I got my last lot of oil from work at like £24... But Halfords is still much cheaper and wanted to know how it really compares to the likes of Castrol/Shell Helix etc.

53 Clio's & counting
It's the same situation as all products - you can buy an oven from some unknown make from the back arse of no where that meets basic specs but it won't be as good as a more expensive make.

You get what you pay for, I'd never skimp on oil

53 Clio's & counting
I'd be googling it, there is plenty on the internet that shows tests of different quality oil, how some break down at certain temps, how better quality oils last longer etc

LY FF182
It's the same situation as all products - you can buy an oven from some unknown make from the back arse of no where that meets basic specs but it won't be as good as a more expensive make.

You get what you pay for, I'd never skimp on oil

This is my original mind set! How can £10/15 for 5L oil be as good as oil that's £30/40

Clio 182
Personally I would rather change the oil every 6 months with the Halfords stuff at that price than the Castrol equivalent in for 12 months. I can't see there been too much of a difference between them.

53 Clio's & counting
This is my original mind set! How can £10/15 for 5L oil be as good as oil that's £30/40

Don't worry too much about price, try to look for reviews of each oil - you may find some that are cheap and are as good as slightly more expensive oils.

IMO I use ether based stuff, usually Titan pro s, much better than most on the market IMO - doesn't break down due to heat so is good in track cars, but for normal road use the only way I'd be using a cheap oil is if I were changing it very regularly, but then buying a better oil will last better than a cheaper one.

But as said if half odds is comma rebranded then comma isn't a bad oil, but as it's the only thing that stops your engine from seizing I wouldn't take the risk on saving 20 quid on oil that you only change once or twice a year - if changing monthly then I can understand a saving but for once or twice a year? I'd happily pay a bit extra

53 Clio's & counting
Personally I would rather change the oil every 6 months with the Halfords stuff at that price than the Castrol equivalent in for 12 months. I can't see there been too much of a difference between them.

With respect how can you say you can't see there is much between them? Unless that is your profession of course?

We all generally know very little about the chemical make up of oil, but I'll see if I can find the test I was on about, it explained quite well how cheap oils break down very quickly and can cause premature wear

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I've read it's comma oil too, I think it even says it on the bottle?

Mate of mine's dad actually works in the engine oil industry, and on his recommendation for the price it's hard to beat Motul 8100 - it's what I use in both my cars.

Clio 182
I've done plenty of trackdays on halfords oil. I've not even changed it since my last.
My car is still alive.
Its all I've ran for years in all my cars. None died.
Cmax
clio
gt turbo
cupra r
mondeo tdci

so different cars requiring different grades. All were fine.

If you potter around in your car, then I can't see how it's going to be a problem.

Has anyone bought any on trade? I know promotions usually don't get knocked down anymore, but it sometimes does so I'm interested to hear if it does.

53 Clio's & counting
I've done plenty of trackdays on halfords oil. I've not even changed it since my last.
My car is still alive.
Its all I've ran for years in all my cars. None died.
Cmax
clio
gt turbo
cupra r
mondeo tdci

so different cars requiring different grades. All were fine.

Well yes they are not exactly going to just blow up.

But what long term effects has the cheap oil done? You simply won't know until later on in life but being cheaper oil it is bound to not have a good level of lubrication and protection as better oil.

Going on my own experiences I could clearly hear the difference between a friends engine after a track day from going from cheap oil to better oil - the engine was noticeably quiter and therefor better lubricated

But again all IMO, as shown above people may have had better experience with cheap oil, but it's a big risk to save for Sony a few quid a year

Clio 182
With respect how can you say you can't see there is much between them? Unless that is your profession of course?

We all generally know very little about the chemical make up of oil, but I'll see if I can find the test I was on about, it explained quite well how cheap oils break down very quickly and can cause premature wear

I'm only making an assumption that if it is the comma based oil and this is on sale then yes it's a similar compound to the equivalent oils within its normal retail price, why leave similar compound in for 12 months when you can change it in 6 months for less? It's OK looking at graphs and test results but you need to take into consideration the needs of the driver too. I use the same oil as you, titan pro s and it's great but it wouldn't be cost effective for everyone.

172 cup
I use whatever Fred puts in at service time, which I'm sure is good quality.

Lets face it you change your oil 1 or 2 times a year, so is the extra £30 on good oil really going to matter

LY FF182
So far I've had 3 different oils in mine since owning it just over a year.. Renault Elf from Diamond motors, Shell Helix ultra and Castrol Magnatec. Can't say I noticed a blind bit of difference between them.. But if halfords is gonna be just as good I might save myself a few quid. Or do i just buy better oils when they're on offer :/

Clio 182
So far I've had 3 different oils in mine since owning it just over a year.. Renault Elf from Diamond motors, Shell Helix ultra and Castrol Magnatec. Can't say I noticed a blind bit of difference between them.. But if halfords is gonna be just as good I might save myself a few quid. Or do i just buy better oils when they're on offer :/

Just buy this. Best value for money bar none.

http://www.incarmotorfactors.co.uk/...uper-syn-5w40-engine-oil-5-litre-f5w405l.html

Many.
More expensive oils have friction inhibitors in them, I learnt about some of this due to motorbikes, as friction inhibitors makes a wet clutch completely useless, cheaper oils don't normally have such. However, I always use comma oil as I can get it cheaply, and when I'm changing it every few months (at 8k miles on my DCi) it makes most sence.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I change my oil every 6 months or so and I use stuff from euro's as it's actually cheaper than halfords.

It's fully synth, meets BMW LL-01, and that'll do me. Oil is designed to meet certain specs for a reason, BMW state their cars require oil that meets LL-01 and the oil I put in does. If I stuck to the 15k service intervals I may consider expensive oils, but as I change mine regularly, I use what I like.

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Id put any old s**t in a standard "normal" car (172, 106, fiesta, corsa)...

Id put proper oil in any of the following

High performance
Highly tuned
Classics

Renault Clio 172 cup
I change my oil every 6 months or so and I use stuff from euro's as it's actually cheaper than halfords.

It's fully synth, meets BMW LL-01, and that'll do me. Oil is designed to meet certain specs for a reason, BMW state their cars require oil that meets LL-01 and the oil I put in does. If I stuck to the 15k service intervals I may consider expensive oils, but as I change mine regularly, I use what I like.

I use the same stuff, Euro car parts own stuff Triple QX fully synthetic, only 13 quid for 5 litres.

phase 1 flamer 172
Been using Halfords oil for must be 20 years in my wifes cars, while I put the expensive oils in mine, now use Halfords in my own after no issues with my wifes cars.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you potter around in your car, then I can't see how it's going to be a problem.

Has anyone bought any on trade? I know promotions usually don't get knocked down anymore, but it sometimes does so I'm interested to hear if it does.

We bought two gallons of semi-synth 10W40 that was on at 5.99 for 9 quid the pair after 25% staff discount (for my 1.2 corsa or my T4 transporter)

My own opinion is that a cheaper oil changed more often is going to protect the engine better than a dearer oil that you leave in for ages, unless talking about extreme applications with very high loads on the oil (big power turbo cars etc)

Renault Clio 172
Its not whiskey so don't waste your money, as long as it meets or exceeds ACEA, API standards etc.. there wont be any problems using it, just stick with fully synthetic, its proven to reduce high wear areas by atleast 30%, rings, bores etc.