ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

handbrake prob

Renault Clio S
Hi all

For a while now I have experienced problems with the handbrake on my 1.4 S. After I clean the car, or drive in the wet, the handbrake sticks.

Sometimes it's minor with the brake discs remaining locked once the handbrake is released, and then releasing when you pull away. This sounds rather unhealthy, but nothing compared to the major incidents when the car just will not budge at all until you really give it some throttle to break the discs free - not good.

So, naturally I have replaced the shoes with a new set and replaced the master cylinder which was leaking a bit. It was fine for two weeks until it rained and once again the brake (passenger side rear) is sticking).

I can't think of anything left to change other than the drum - but why would water effect the brake in this way?

RenaultSport Clio 182
Try the brake cylinder on the drum, also checked the self tightening mechanism in the drum is working ok, also could be the cable not pulling centrally which could also mean why you have a sticking N/S/R drum.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Common problem when brakes get wet. Nothing to really be worried about just a characteristic. Kent Industries supply a product that can be sprayed onto the brake shoes to reduce the problem. Haven't got the info to hand unfortunately.