ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake weak on one side

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just took the car for a pre test check and apparently my driver's side handbrake is very weak. Haven't had a check yet but assuming the caliper hasn't rusted itself into oblivion, is there a way to adjust them? I thought they were self adjusting 🤔

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Your car has poor brakes?

Well isn't that just the biggest shock this week

200.gif

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You can easily check the handbrake lever, just move it with a screwdriver and watch the piston

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Change the cables and then see if it works. I had the same problem and one of the cables was chewed by corrosion. I did them both and it sorted it

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well after inspecting everything and seeing everything move correctly I assumed it was the caliper at fault. Just fitted a new caliper and it's doing the same bloody thing so I'm guessing it must be the cable after all 🙄🤣

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Had this on the Meg225, replaced the cables and didn’t make a difference so replaced the caliper and has been fine since

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ok hear me out. The handbrake on the passenger side is working fine, so presumably adjusting the handbrake using the adjuster under the exhaust heat shield will result in the passenger side binding. The driver's side is pulling the lever, but obviously not enough to actuate the handbrake fully. What's to stop me just throwing a slotted washer between the cable and the lever on the driver's side to effectively shorten the cable/increase leverage on the lever? :unsure:
PARTS-WASHER-SLOTTED-1-800x800.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
That'd work if one side is slacker than the other. But if it's a problem with the caliper, it'll only have an effect for so long, till the cable stretches out and it's back to being poo.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
That'd work if one side is slacker than the other. But if it's a problem with the caliper, it'll only have an effect for so long, till the cable stretches out and it's back to being poo.
Well I just replaced the caliper with absolutely no change so I'm guessing it's the cable being too long

The Pagid handbrake cables from ECP were too long (handbrake barely held on an incline at full engagement)

Much better now with the cables that Ktec sell

Last edited:

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think I was recommended a Borg & Beck for the passenger side and First Line for the driver's side. They've been recommended a few times on here. What are Febi like, any good?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Febi/Bilstein stuff is good.

First Line own Borg and Beck, although I've never rated First Line stuff but found Borg and Beck to be fine?