ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hard wiring tom tom....

Clio 182 FF
Was thinking of hard wiring my tom tom to the headunit live wire and running it out of the windowscreen de-mister vent.
Has anybody done this to there Clio? I know there's a kit for £10 on fleabay so it looks like a cheap solution to hide those horrible wires?

Thanks Steve.

My business partner James did something flash with his tomtom, it may help:

*** UP-DATE ***

This weeks new toy, Tomtom 730, old satnav gave up on life while driving round London, not impressed..

Ever since my first satnav i have hated mounting them on the window for that mini-cab look so a new smarter method was needed, better than my previous method which proved a nightmare when in 5th gear

So my brother came up with a smart idea - Mount it on the desk stand in one of the dash board pockets, so with the plan in mind i sat around for half an hour trying to work out the best method of instal that would involve no long term damage if i ever need to remove it all... with it all thought up, work began

First off, remove the upper part of the dash, pull the rubber pocket liner out and send a 20mm holesaw through the back of the dash, low enough that if the rubber lining went back in it would cover the hole

DSC00705.jpg

Next, clean it all up and make a hole for the cable to sit in, also added a pair of M4 screws and bolts so the height could be adjustable

DSC00707.jpg

Now for the 1 day old desk mount to recieve some love, 6mm hole, countersunk

DSC00708.jpg

added a counter sunk 6mm screw, bolt & few washers to clamp it all down with

DSC00711-1.jpg

Shot of the underside

DSC00713-1.jpg

All ready to go back in the car

DSC00710.jpg

With that all complete i managed to find a good route for the power cable straight down to a 12v source, so bolted all the dash back in & did a quick trial fit, the result

DSC00729-1.jpg

DSC00726-1.jpg

No cables, no sucker, no mess ;)

James

OneTime_

ClioSport Club Member
  '65 BMW F31 330d
Very nice. I do hate the cable running all over the radio and dash controls etc.

330Ci (Fail)Sport

Great work there by James.

I want to do something similar for my iPhone but trying to figure out how I can have a secure dock with it horizontal.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Great work there by James.

I want to do something similar for my iPhone but trying to figure out how I can have a secure dock with it horizontal.

I'm pretty sure they make horizontal docks for them, to go with the tom tom i phone app. Pretty sure they are £100 tho, which is a bit mental!

Clio 197
Very nice.

Brodit do some cradles too... they're easier to fit because they don't require the dash removal. They are also mounted closer to driver, so using the device is easier (if you have short arms like me). Problem: £££.

Crappy work hire car

That is quality, I like that.

Very nice.

Brodit do some cradles too... they're easier to fit because they don't require the dash removal. They are also mounted closer to driver, so using the device is easier (if you have short arms like me). Problem: £££.

Do you have a link mate?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'm pretty sure they make horizontal docks for them, to go with the tom tom i phone app. Pretty sure they are £100 tho, which is a bit mental!

Yeah TomTom dock is way too expensive and I don't want it stuck to the glasss. Have seen a couple of horizontal holders but nothing suitable to fit in that tray on top of the dash like James did and I wan't a proper dock connector on the end so I can easily attach it to my HU cable.

I think I may have found a homemade solution though.

Very nice.

£££££! I'm not so bothered about distance if I can see it ok because HU controls the music and if I needed to change the sat nav I'd pull over anyway.

182 heat reflective windscreen might prevent this install above. I had to buy the external antenna for my Tom Tom to pick up a signal. Might be ok though with the little patch in the window.

on my garmin they supplyed a plastic disc with 2 sided tape on. i stuck that to the dials on the rev counter bit. now i just stick my satnav there as i dont thing anyone uses the rev counter (i dont) the wire then goes up through the dash then out of the steering cowl thing.

Dodgy one
With my old Road angel I got a spare fag lighter socket of off e-bay which allowed you to connect it directly to the battery, I chopped the clips off, Then took a live from my headunit loom and then earthed it to the chassis, It was switched too through the headunit so when the ignition was off so was the Roadangel

Exactly the same will apply to the tom tom :)

Clio 182 FF
Adding to my own post...

I brought a mini usb hard wiring kit from ebay for £10 which wasn't to bad. I was firstly going to fit it behind the dash and attach it to my stereo wiring but opted for the cig lighter instead. After testing the cicuit when the engine was off it had no current which was good as i knew this would drain the battery:-

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/Gangeyboy1982/240410004.jpg

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/Gangeyboy1982/240410005.jpg

I then soldered the wires on and taped them up. I ran the wires out of the center section air vent and along the underside of the steering column:-

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/Gangeyboy1982/my car/240410008.jpg

I velcroed the small box to the underside of the panel and ran the wire along and up the rubber seal between the door and the dashboard. Leaving only about 3 inches showing at the top...where i position my sat nav:-

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/Gangeyboy1982/my car/240410010.jpg

Finished:-

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/Gangeyboy1982/my car/240410011.jpg

The good feature about the hard wiring kit is that it never over charges...so when it detects your satnav is fully charged it cuts power. Secondly by using the cig lighter there is no power drain on the battery...it only works when the ignition is on...:cool: