ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harnesses - talk to me

Z4x2 & buying a 182
So I have just fitted some Sparco Sprints into the 182 and now am looking at harnesses.

I am on a budget and am only on 2 track days so far - 3 and 4 are in September.

3,4,5,6 point harnesses, 3 inches or not etc...what should I be thinking about?

Thanks

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
If you’re only doing track days a 4 point will be fine. (5 point is better but more awkward) Without a cage you just need to find a way of mounting the shoulder straps behind you.
This angle is critical.
3 inch straps will be the most comfortable unless you use a HANS device in which case 2 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Thanks that is helpful - in terms of securing I looked at the harness bars but they look pretty expensive considering you could put that money towards a cage?!

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
I have a bar welded between the 2 shock turrets. Independent of the cage. Maybe you can find a local fabricator to do this? Shouldn’t be too costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Exactly as above. If it's only a handful of days a year, just fit four points. 3" straps are more comfortable.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I found trs to be good value and quality. They do a 3 point with seatbelt buckle if it's mainly road use

Attachments

• DSC_1825.JPG
    DSC_1825.JPG
    818.6 KB · Views: 96

Robproof

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’m not experienced at all things Track day cars (just picked my Clio up this year) but, Recently fitted a “unuversal harness” bar to sort the angle of the harness’s, it’s not cheap, but it’s good quality and from a reputable source (Tegiwa).
32CDFBC1-0E2E-409E-B953-39159C8D8096.jpeg

just while I decide if I fit a cage / half cage

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I’m not experienced at all things Track day cars (just picked my Clio up this year) but, Recently fitted a “unuversal harness” bar to sort the angle of the harness’s, it’s not cheap, but it’s good quality and from a reputable source (Tegiwa).
View attachment 1489959
just while I decide if I fit a cage / half cage
Seen a few of them snap or bend in the past so I definitely wouldn't feel safe in that :eek:

Also learn how to roll your excess harness properly :p

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Personally a decent half cage for around £550 is a safer option. Especially if being used on track

Attachments

• DSC_1824.JPG
    DSC_1824.JPG
    931.3 KB · Views: 99
  Z4x2 & buying a 182
Yeah I just had a great chat with Mark Fisher motorsport who use safety devices and think I am just going to go for a race spec half cage which can be converted to a full cage at a later point - safety first!

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Safety devices and fulcrum both do the rear cages ready to add front at a later date. Both really good cages

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
There is a very good link to a schroth harness guide in here;

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
6 point all the way. Although there is the option of the anti submarining (ASM) type by Schroth.

If you speak to Steve at Sabelt UK he can sell you a set close to end of FIA approval or out of date at a cut price. Perfect for trackdays.

In terms of installation the guide the @Cub. Posted is a good read. For the crotch straps, fit a spreader plate under the floor and an eyebolt to clip on to. Iirc if the seats are mounted low enough I think the bolt holes in the boot area just behind the rear seats give a decent angle.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Thanks guys, I had a lobg chat with Mark Fisher recently and think I'm just gonna get a proper half cage sorted in october/November and will probably get them sort harnesses a well I imagine.

Safety first!

I