ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has any one changed tyre sizes from 205's to 195's?

2005 Clio Sport 182
Been looking at tyre prices and there's a big difference in price for 205 45 16. the mitchellin's i can get for £120 at trade price and same tyre as 195 45 16 is only £75.

has any one sized down to this?

i cant see there been any difference really as its only 5mm each side of tyre and ive changed the width before on many cars but i usually do wider and havnt have a car with small wheels for a long time.

Ph2 172 Cup
I've run 205 45 16, 195 45 16 and 195 50 15. The biggest difference you'll notice is the price!

Handling - v.unlikely you'll notice anything
Looks - 195's look a tiny bit more stretched over the rims, but again there's not much in it.

Remember older 172s ran these 'smaller' sizes anyway. None of them look out of place.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Speedo will be out by 1.5%, the wheel will have to do an extra 13 rotations per mile, and the tyre will be 8.5mm narrower.

2005 Clio Sport 182
I think speedo's out anyway on mine! It allways shows different to sat nav and also the cruse control is different to the speedo by a fiew mph

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I think speedo's out anyway on mine! It allways shows different to sat nav and also the cruse control is different to the speedo by a fiew mph

Likewise, GPS, speedo and cruise all different lol.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
All good in my experience. Car is low on H&R's and no longer catches the front arches during spirited cornering like the 205's did. Price was also a healthy amount less!

172 cup, Impreza P1
More chance of kerbing but at that saving it would be worth it. I changed from 195's to 205's on the cup years ago when there was very little between them but may have to go back if thats what they are at now.

Clio 182 Titanium
what is the actual rim width on the 182's? 6.5"? or 7
my mate when down to 195's and crashed :S, not blaming the 195's as it was one of about 20 factors but still... your making the track smaller and less rubber down.
the 205's look wider, I can tell every time I see them.
less likely to curb your alloys with 205's.