ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has any one told a fib on their insurance?

My Legs
hey guys and gals,

right this is what happened to me, i was going to buy a clio 182 last week and before i signed everything i went home to check on insurance first............. called everywhere checked the net bla bla bla

:( £2500 !!!! :dead: im 20 (21 soon) driven for about 2 years and 8 months, 2 years no claim and im a bar manager, not garaged.

then my friend came along and said that he could get insurance on a focus rs for £1500, he said that the trick was to change my job title.....

:D £1500 !!!!:D (garaged) i couldnt belive it, my bad luck is changing, but i was thinking isnt that kind of illegal? im thinking that it is worth it untill my car gets nicked from outside my house.

would anyone else take the risk?

please please give me help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys and Gals

TIM

172 M69 eater
i said i was an office based consultant (not neccessarily true) and i work for norwich union ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
lol the insurance company doesn't care, at the end of the day, you're paying them for 3rd party and limited damages.

If it were ever anything serious then you'd be in trouble.. Saying that, I didn't change my job title from student when I started driving, and I had a bump in which they needed everything backing up, I told them my change but didn't cause any hassle. That said the car back then was 3rd party anyway.

Not declaring mods is asking for trouble in a modded car. Just takes that one day where you push it through yellow lights that little bit too quick and you get pulled. I know insurance isn't the nicest thing to pay, especially when it's big figures, but it's there for you in case you need £1,000,000 for damages. Unlikely I know, but would you like to be serving jail time for £1m ??? I sure wouldn't.

megane coupe+2003clio 1.2
i had my insurance under another address, then my car got written off. i lied and said it was registered under the address as the insurance. they sent me a letter saying DVLA said this is the wrong address! so i told the truth and they paid out and never said nothing to me

Monaco Blue Mk2
^ lol. My car is registered to me at my dads address. My insurance is in my name at my dads address. I live at my mums just as much as my dads, however dads is £200 cheaper. Is there anyway they could not pay out in this situation? How would they prove where I actually live?

I'd say it's garaged by the way mate. How could they prove that it isn't? If it gets nicked just say you were going out again in 20 mins so there was no point in garaging and when you went out it was gone! Providing you do actually have a garage!

Black 182 f&f
Yeah me 2 mate i had to change my job title aswell to make it cheaper an i must have about 4 cars in my garage 2 now lol

My Legs
the thing is thou my boss owns a merc ( sl 500) and his daughter owns a cooper s, who i live with, its not likely they will try and steal a clio( even thou its sexier) . if i did have a crash they arent gonna care about where i live and where i park it are they?

also i wont be living at the address that i will be insuring it at either.

timboss said:
the thing is thou my boss owns a merc ( sl 500) and his daughter owns a cooper s, who i live with, its not likely they will try and steal a clio( even thou its sexier) . if i did have a crash they arent gonna care about where i live and where i park it are they?

also i wont be living at the address that i will be insuring it at either.

naughty naughty :nono:

Monaco Blue Mk2
I don't see how they'd go about challenging where you live, if the car is registered at the address you insure it at?

My Legs
i know i should wait butthe182 might not be a the garage for long, its a 182 in iceberg silver with cup wheels and suspension.

criiiips!!!! dont know what to do !!!!

Chocolate Bar™
dont lie, as i said in my post about gettin pulled by the police, they do check, luckily i had all mods declared and everything was legit. This is especially true if you live in staffordshire or cheshire as the copper said they ahve an initative at the mo full pulling young drivers and checkin for insurance

182 RB FF
No Lies here didn't think it was worth The risk IMO, got 3 points (ts10), driveway, 21 Years old, just and got insurance for about £1097.

Although my last car (clio 1.2 16v) I tried to do my insurance online with Norwich union but for some reason it wouldn't let me complete it so i phoned them and completed it over the phonel. Got the paperwork through and didn't even look at it, Went and bought my car the other week looking through my insurance and found they didn't add on my 3 points! so it wern't intentional but they never knew.

I guess its just a chance you take

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The issue here is much bigger than your case alone. My personal burning, insane, borderline psychotic hatred of car insurance is compounded by the fact that they are (usually) so far removed from the actual car owner themselves, that they have little concept of real-world scenarios.

Take the comment about the job title. WTF has that got to do with anything? So if I put IT Manager as my job title, yet actually I was a solicitor, that could affect the premium? I can understand using the car as a taxi or if your job was a racing driver could affect the cost, but again, 99% of occupations shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Then there's the driver themselves. Why would my mum (for arguments sake) who is terrified of driving and nearly approaching the big 60 be able to get a cheaper quote on my 182 than I can? By her own admission, she'd be a hazard on the road if she drove - yet because she's female, had her licence for 25+ years (despite hardly ever driving) - the insurance companies take that as carte blanche that she's less of a risk than me at 31 - oh, and the fact that I'm male.

And don't even get me started on the whole business of postcodes - that's the biggest load of bullshit known to man for basing an insurance premium on.

At the end of the day, they can't be bothered. Nod your head and agree to the following 20 questions that the same generic database has fired your way and pay your premium regardless. No wonder the entire industry is riddled with people telling lies, false claims, modded 2.0litre turbo cars being based as 1.0litre shitboxes, etc - all of which ultimately push the premiums up for the rest of us sad b******s willing to tell the truth once in a while.

My solution is simple. Every 12 months, there should be an in-depth appraisal of you an your car. Where you live, what you drive, how long you've been driving, any mods, etc. This should be done in person by a certified insurance assessor, not some dumbass on the end of a phone in some call-centre somewhere. This assessor should have good working knowledge of cars and ideally, be relatively local. And it should be made law. To take an hour of your time, once a year is nothing, if ultimately, it helps us to get better quotes on our cars and reducing the risk of being hit by yet another uninsured driver..

Rant over. ;)

D.

My Legs
utter bull tripe!!!!! this is the only reason why i didnt put pen to paper and buy the damm car last week!

I have.....................................................

............................i told them my annaul mileage was 10k..........i did 10.5 last year:quiet:

U/R 200
Once had a pug 205 turbo diesel/intercooler etc, but because it used to be a GTI, got quoted £2500.
Phoned someone else told em it was just a turbo diesel, £ 650.

LOL @ some of this thread!!

Don't lie on your Insurance it's daft. The trick is to know where you can be economical with the truth! If you get asked your "estimated anual mileage" than it's just that, an estimate. BUT if you say your car is garaged, you may find your policy has been endorsed with a garaging warranty, meaning if you car is nicked of your drive you aren't covered. How will they know? they will want pictures of your broken into garage, they will also want your crime ref from the plod, and may ask them to agree your story, they may ask for SOCO reports, etc. If the insurers pick up one thing they think is sligtly iffy, they will go through every single aspect of your claim in detail.

And did you know more, and more insurers are using voice stress anaylisers? So when you ring to reoprt a claim, they are mointoring your voice, looking for signs you are telling porkies. And if they get enough, they will be all over you like a rash.

Darren S - your job has a lot to do with the risk you pose to the insurers. Scaffolders for example have chosen a high risk job, so pshyclogists may suggest this means they take more risks in other areas - like whilst driving. Accountants, on the other hand - were risk means going for grey socks, instead of black - are less likely to crash and therefore their premiums are lower.
Working in a pub/bar is also bad - not because it's a high risk job. But where is your car parked? in a pub car park - which is generally full of pissed people. You work on licenced premises - and are therefore much more likely to drink @ work than someone who works in Boots for example. You may also more likely drive home knackered @ midnight, 1 or 2 am than someone driving home @ 5:30.

And postcodes - look @ it from the insurers point of view. 2 identical cars/people. 1 car parked on driveway in Stockbroker row in Surrey. The other parked in a council estate car park in the middle of Liverpool. Which car is more likely to be nicked/vanalised/torched?????
Pretty obvious isn't it. So as an Insurer you'd be pretty stupid to charge the same premium wouldn't you??

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Karen said:
Ditto and would never be so silly to lie personally, but then I never had cars like that at that age, I went for something I could afford!

Ditto again. I've always declared everything. :)

_BillG_ said:

Accountants, on the other hand - were risk means going for grey socks, instead of black - are less likely to crash and therefore their premiums are lower.

pah. i still drive it like its stolen.

pink shirts for me boss, :rasp:

Lionel Richie
it makes you wonder

"my car is parked on a driveway at night"

yeah ok, but what kind of driveway? is it only big enough for one car? or is it a 2mile long driveway leading to your country estate? bit daft really

182 and 5 GTT
No point in telling fibs. As middos post shows, the police are cracking down on it now and if you say your cars garaged but is on the drive and it gets knicked iirc they dont have to pay out as my mate got stung by that.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
_BillG_ said:

Don't lie on your Insurance it's daft. The trick is to know where you can be economical with the truth! If you get asked your "estimated anual mileage" than it's just that, an estimate. BUT if you say your car is garaged, you may find your policy has been endorsed with a garaging warranty, meaning if you car is nicked of your drive you aren't covered. How will they know? they will want pictures of your broken into garage, they will also want your crime ref from the plod, and may ask them to agree your story, they may ask for SOCO reports, etc. If the insurers pick up one thing they think is sligtly iffy, they will go through every single aspect of your claim in detail.

And did you know more, and more insurers are using voice stress anaylisers? So when you ring to reoprt a claim, they are mointoring your voice, looking for signs you are telling porkies. And if they get enough, they will be all over you like a rash.

Darren S - your job has a lot to do with the risk you pose to the insurers. Scaffolders for example have chosen a high risk job, so pshyclogists may suggest this means they take more risks in other areas - like whilst driving. Accountants, on the other hand - were risk means going for grey socks, instead of black - are less likely to crash and therefore their premiums are lower.
Working in a pub/bar is also bad - not because it's a high risk job. But where is your car parked? in a pub car park - which is generally full of pissed people. You work on licenced premises - and are therefore much more likely to drink @ work than someone who works in Boots for example. You may also more likely drive home knackered @ midnight, 1 or 2 am than someone driving home @ 5:30.

And postcodes - look @ it from the insurers point of view. 2 identical cars/people. 1 car parked on driveway in Stockbroker row in Surrey. The other parked in a council estate car park in the middle of Liverpool. Which car is more likely to be nicked/vanalised/torched?????
Pretty obvious isn't it. So as an Insurer you'd be pretty stupid to charge the same premium wouldn't you??

I agree with some of your points Bill, but isn't this what's causing so many problems for the industry at the moment? The fact that SO much is based on assumption? The postcode thing I still 110% disagree with you on. Like I've said on several previous posts, when we lived in Heywood (which came under an Oldham postcode) I had lads at 2am in the morning looking at my car - badges nicked off it and the wife's MR2 was keyed. Yet Oldham was deemed less of a risk area than Bolton, of which our new postcode falls under. Despite the fact that we live on an unadopted highway and well off the beaten track, the BL9 postcode is at higher 'risk' - yet again, based on assumption that we are just at much at risk than those in town-centre Bolton. Hence, my insurance is more.

LMFAO at the accountant comment! What, so you mean the fleets of C320s and 330 Beemers on our roads are driven gracefully and rewarded by a lower premium because they are an accountant?! Bloody hell, I think I know of one Driving Miss Daisy accountant - the rest think they are part-time Schumachers. In fact I had a brief chat at work with the auditor about his his new 330Ci after he trashed his previous one and the one before got nicked. Yep, clearly another assumption there that he was less of a risk...

The bar-worker comment holds true - simply because I see the amount of tits in car-parks at kicking-out time. Yet surely the bar-workers are less likely to have a smash with another driver at 1am when the traffic's dead, than at rush-hour 5.30pm like you said? And again, you're assuming that all bar-workers are drinkers?

This is the whole damn crux of my argument. What the insurer sees and what the driver sees are two totally different things - unless you get that bloody rare occurrance of an understanding insurance compnay. I'm currently not insured on Jain's V6 and hence I can't drive it. Yet I fully expect to be fobbed-off and hear a lot of sighs and sharp-intakes of breath because I'm male, just 31 and want to be covered on the wife's Group 20 car. Oh, I and almost forgot, we've got that horrendously high risk Bolton postcode to contend with as well, haven't we....

D.

My Legs
has anyone done that max power driver thing or got pass plus?

i was going to take the max power thing seeing im insured at the minute by adrian flux but they wont insure me on the 182 unless im 21 :dapprove: :dapprove:

timboss said:
has anyone done that max power driver thing or got pass plus?

i was going to take the max power thing seeing im insured at the minute by adrian flux but they wont insure me on the 182 unless im 21 :dapprove: :dapprove:

pass plus is a load of b****cks, hardly any insurers i told about it took it into account, and it runs out after a year. not worth the money

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Rststevo said:
pass plus is a load of b****cks, hardly any insurers i told about it took it into account, and it runs out after a year. not worth the money

... pretty similar to the old 21, 25 and 30 year-old age 'barriers'. Made feck all difference to me in terms of insurance going cheaper. The only thing that seems to have an effect would be if I moved to a barn on the Outer Hebrides and obviously, had a sex change. ;)

D.

My Legs
:D i supose if i did a tuck back and sent them a photo telling them that it fell off one day you rekon i'll get it cheaper?:D

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I'd 'never' lie to an insurance company. It realy isn't worth it. My car is in my drive, so I said so. I will tell them about all mods after each one is carried out, no point in taking risks as the chance of getting caught could be pretty high. I hate to think what could hapoen if I did mods, didn;t tell them and then had an accident, not only might they decide not to pay out, but I could then be done for 'technically' not having insurance, and if the Police wanted to push it, I could quite easily end up inside.
No thanks. Always tell the truth, might cost more, but at least they can;t argue about payouts and you stay on the right side of the law!