ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anybody else taken the airfilter off a 1.2 8v for the sound?

I discovered this trick when I first started driving my Clio 1.2 8v which is now my brothers. Basically if you undo the airbox and take the airfilter out then drive round with em off it sounds fuckin awesome when you boot it. I thrashed mine for a year (20000 miles) with it like that all the time and it didnt do any damage on the engine.

Did anybody else discover this?

Matt

clowo16v said:
I discovered this trick when I first started driving my Clio 1.2 8v which is now my brothers. Basically if you undo the airbox and take the airfilter out then drive round with em off it sounds f**kin awesome when you boot it. I thrashed mine for a year (20000 miles) with it like that all the time and it didnt do any damage on the engine.

Did anybody else discover this?
Yep but when a leaf get into the intake and destroys the engine you'll regret it.

If you've ever chnaged the filter on a car you'll see some of the stuff the filter picks up and understand truely why the filter is there.

Da

Less
I did...but wisely replaced it with a K&N 57i so I wasn't sucking in all the dirty air ;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
This weeks lesson. What does an air filter do? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Next week. Why we shouldn't use sunflower oil in our engines...

172 M69 eater
DarthCake said:

what, u can;t use sunflower oil in a clio???!!! what about all this sunflower oil i've saved up whilst draining my tuna??:clown:

Well 20000 miles of driving and it didn't blow up lol. I checked the airfilter the other day which has been on there for 6 years at least and it had a couple of specs of dust in and that was it. I must live in a road s**t free area lol

Matt

Da

Less
if the air filter has been in 6 years i'd be taking the car elsewhere for a service in future ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
clowo16v said:
Well 20000 miles of driving and it didn't blow up lol. I checked the airfilter the other day which has been on there for 6 years at least and it had a couple of specs of dust in and that was it. I must live in a road sh*t free area lol

Matt

heman.jpg

Heman says: "only skeletor services his cars at the proper intervals"

Chocolate Bar™
clowo16v said:
Well 20000 miles of driving and it didn't blow up lol. I checked the airfilter the other day which has been on there for 6 years at least and it had a couple of specs of dust in and that was it. I must live in a road sh*t free area lol

Matt

dear god hope u're not planning on trying to sell this car to a poor undeserving individual. Air filters are there for a reason, end of. If u want the noise pay 25 quid for a second hand k and n or a max poo jobbie, better than fooking the engine.

*edit* - lmfao @ Tom

Couldn't be arsed servicing cos it never went wrong and its worth f**k all. Finally got round to changing the oil in it a couple of days ago which hasn't been changed for a similar period of time lol.

Its probably the most reliable clio ever. In 8 years its only had a couple of services both done by me, a new fuel filter, new brake pads & shoes, a new bottom ball joint as I crashed into a kerb and damaged it, a new driveshaft as the boot came off so the CV broke and 8 new tyres. Its nearly done 60000 miles now and it was still running perfectly before I changed the oil.

If I was that harsh on my valver it'd be dead.

Matt

Mégane RS
You changed the fuel filter which is good for 70,000 miles plus but didnt think you needed a air filter??

I changed the fuel filter cos some t**t at renault hit it with a hammer and didnt tell us and it leaked.

TBH the car is worth f**k all. I could have bought one the same, absolute minter with FSH & 24000 miles for £1600.

It still drives perfectly. I drove the one I could have bought and it felt worse than ours and it was slower too.

Matt

Golf GTI PP Mk7
even the most minute particles will damage the engine. taking the air filter out really is not wise at all, its not there for decorative value.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
God you must be f**king clueless to drive around without the air filter in your car. I mean holy s**t what a stupid thing to do. Go and read a book that tells you how an internal combustion engine works and how an air filter works.

f**k me.

Clio 172 mk2
Not good

The words clue and less spring to mind.

Still, not my car so whatever floats your boat.....I would reccomend an IK instead though:D

RB 200 Cup!
i did this once in my car for a 30 min journey - great laugh but put it straight back on cos air filters are there for a reason and i personally love my car and dont wanna f**k it up.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i done it for 10 minz loved the sound, took an angle grinder to the inside of the airbox and "modified it" best of both worlds now, the noise + filter + the noise echos and sounds mental lol

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
polarbert said:
God you must be f**king clueless to drive around without the air filter in your car. I mean holy sh*t what a stupid thing to do. Go and read a book that tells you how an internal combustion engine works and how an air filter works.

f**k me.

Mate, I can vouch for the guy and he is not f**king clueless.

f**k me, you got shares in his car or somat? With a reaction like that I thought you owned the car!!!!!!!!!

As jim said i'm definetley not f**king clueless. I probably knew more about fixing and building cars when I was 12 than you will when you're 40.

At the end of the day, its a cheap hatchback with an engine thats about as stressed as a rasta smoking a joint. Theres a lot more cars on here where people complain of things going wrong and they have FSH and are looked after.

I don't treat every car like that. My valver may look s**t from the outside, but all the mechanicals are in perfect condition. The oil & filter was changed every 2500 miles maximum, and I removed and rebuilt everything even tho I didn't need to make sure it'd come apart easily if it ever broke.

Matt

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
DarthCake said:
This weeks lesson. What does an air filter do? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

lol classic :D

Clio 172
Bunch of boring s***s. Dont ever bounce your car off the limiter as it may cause perminant damage to the engine. It really isnt worth harming the poor engine.

How much ca you pick up a 1.2 8v lump for? £20? Less than a price of a filter hahaha

None
Haha i thought a limiter stops you damaging the engine ;) ive only had the airbox top come off mine (not intentional as it wasn't tightened properly), while it sounded nicer I lost power. The filter was in sort of tho. Well hangin out alot anyway lol

AveitAndy said:
Bunch of boring sh*ts. Dont ever bounce your car off the limiter as it may cause perminant damage to the engine. It really isnt worth harming the poor engine.

How much ca you pick up a 1.2 8v lump for? £20? Less than a price of a filter hahaha
Yep but if you wreck the engine you've got to get home its bound to fail at the most inopotune moment, Then get a new engine and time time to take engine out and replace it why bother IMO?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive got the tools, money and most of the knowledge (mates for the little bits i get stuck at) to do a straight swap to another 1.2 16v engine if mine blew up but thats the last thing i want for the hastle as edde said, it will never ever go 5 mins round the corner from your house, it'll go at 10pm 50 miles from home at the side of a dark road!!

its just not worth risking it, and its not removing the air filter that gives you the noise, its removing the airbox thats giving you the noise, modify the airbox, drill holes in it if you must, at least then you can still use a filter.

Clio 172 mk2
Like I said earlier....it's not my car so I'm too bothered.

I personally wouldn't do it on my own 172

I used to work for a recovery garage so get free recovery. My dad would come and tow me anyway, he towed me from york to barnsley once after I blew my valver box up drag racing.

Matt

Chocolate Bar™
still, its a lot of bother for a bit of extra noise, and probabaly reduced performance. get an exhaust imo, and save the hassle

Its not worth spending the money on an exhaust tho when I looked today theres only the backbox thats a silencer so I might chop it off.

Matt