ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone done a 172 to 182 exhaust manifold conversion 4-1 to 4-2-1?

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
I was wondering if anyone chopped a 172 exhaust manifold and used extended pipes to make it to a 182 lookalike.

I have a 1.4 16v clio, my exhaust is on its way out and thought i might as well do a complete conversion. Now, i know the 172 exhaust is vg in high revs but the 182 is better in mid revs. I will need to change the flange to make it fit so thought why not extend the rest to a 4-2-1.

As 172s are so cheap compared to the 182s has anyone tried to do the modification?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
im confused :S you want to have the 182 exhaust look or you are trying to fit a 172/182 mani to a 1.4 16v ? would'nt the perameters be completely different?

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
what i am trying to say.

172s can be found for £30 and sometimes less while 182s fetch a good £120+

Both don't fit the 1.4 due to a different plate so a new will need to be made. If you change the plate, what stops you to make the 172 which is a 4-1 to a 182 which is a 4-2-1 and have the bennefits from the mid range performance.

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
It will give u exactly a 0.0 bhp increase

Complete waste of time/effort/money

But its your car

Prob a performance decrease if you consider the weight of it.

The plan is to go for a SS exhaust and also a sports cat 200cell. I thought that anything will be better than the crappy 1.4 manifold.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Prob a performance decrease if you consider the weight of it.

The plan is to go for a SS exhaust and also a sports cat 200cell. I thought that anything will be better than the crappy 1.4 manifold.

For what purpose? Looks, performance or just to be different?

220 Trophy
It's a misconception that the 182 manifold is better than the 172, the 182 will produce a slightly higher peak figure, buts it's because it has a 'bump' in the curve. The 172 manifold is much better as it has flatter torque curve with more torque spread out over the range.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It's a misconception that the 182 manifold is better than the 172, the 182 will produce a slightly higher peak figure, buts it's because it has a 'bump' in the curve. The 172 manifold is much better as it has flatter torque curve with more torque spread out over the range.

thats the exact opposite of what I've found. The 172 manifold gives a hole in the torque around 3.5k, the 182 item smoothes that out

Sounds like a hell of a lot of work on a 1.4, but i wont say don't do it as I love this kind of thing

220 Trophy
I'm only relaying what Matt at TDF has explained to me a couple of times when I've enquired about popping a 182 manifold on, even money no option he said to keep my 172 manifold on.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
When I swapped to a 182 manifold on my 172 I lost 3bhp but gained 7lbft.

The only thing I noticed from the swap was the car felt smoother through the rev range.

220 Trophy
The gain may be the bump in the torque curve Matt was talking about, but if it suits you then that's all that matters.

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
My mechanic told me to make it feel better it needs a better exhaust. He has been in to Renaults for 30 years. He told me it would be nice if the exhaust was 50mm but in order to keep the cost down, a 172 exhaust is better than making something from scratch and it is 57 as far as i know.

I could ask him to give me his turbo manifold which is from a 1.6 but i believe he is keeping these to make a well specd 1.6 engine in his bassement