ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hate my clio...FAILED MOT

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Im ready to burn my clio its been nothing but a pain.

• I need 2 new tyres for standard 172 alloys
  • Lower ball joint
  • Rear wheel bearing
  • Front brakes imbalanced
Advisory items are

• nearside (inner rack end) ball join has slight play
  • Offside rear coil spring corroded
  • Nearside rear coil spring corroded
  • Front brake disc's slightly worn
  • front sill lip bent???
Garage is quoting me 360 to do the main problems, does anyone know where i can get that stuff from cheap!

Please help

Im ready to burn my clio its been nothing but a pain.

• I need 2 new tyres for standard 172 alloys s/h, off here? someone in Glos has a pair of cheap PE2s
  • Lower ball joint you can buy those independently of the arms, not sure where from though. otherwise, new arm needed
  • Rear wheel bearing presumably as above, otherwise new disc with bearing needed
  • Front brakes imbalanced clean pads/caliper and check pistons moving OK
Advisory items are

• nearside (inner rack end) ball join has slight play it's possible to tighten the track rods; new ones aren't expensive
  • Offside rear coil spring corroded normal
  • Nearside rear coil spring corroded normal
  • Front brake disc's slightly worn that'll happen..
  • front sill lip bent??? 'normal' - easy to bend sill lip if careless whilst jacking
Garage is quoting me 360 to do the main problems, does anyone know where i can get that stuff from cheap!

Please help

Camskill for the tyres, Any fitters should charge about £7-15 a wheel to fit and balance,

I'd get the garage to do the balljoints as tracking will need doing after, But also parts could be bought and fitted, Then just have the tracking done

Rear wheel bearings are pressed into the discs on sports iirc, Get a rear pair from reno for about £120? And fit, Easy job.

Front brakes will have to be done at garage at a guess, Could be siezed callipers? Buy some second hand ones or have the calliper rebuilt.

Rear springs again buy them and very easy to fit, (rear shocks off, jack up the car and they will fall out)

The sills are made of cheese, You can probably bash it straight with a mallet and some wood.

cheers guysy, Just looking on ebay for the parts now

these any good only need the front pads
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item413be52790

Where is the sill lip?

The lip that runs along each side of the car for jacking up, As said dont bother, Ask the garage to bash it back for you, If they want to charge tell them to lump it, Cant fail you.

Id go for standard pads, If you want cheap. Not too sure if the link are aftermarket or...
Should be found on ebay, Or failing that go to Renault.

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Cheers for your help people, 'Henry'..how do i go about cleaning the front brake pads?

Also the rear wheel bearing has it got to be a wheel bearing and disk or can it be just a wheel bearing?

The wheel bearings are pressed into the disc, They come pre pressed from Renault if you buy them there.

Take the brakes apart (see guide section), Check the pads arent crumbling, Also look to see if the pistons are corroded and can move the pads freely.

Cheers for your help people, 'Henry'..how do i go about cleaning the front brake pads?

Also the rear wheel bearing has it got to be a wheel bearing and disk or can it be just a wheel bearing?

try this with the front brakes: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=483236

i'm only guessing the rear bearings might be sold separately - someone would have to confirm. there's another thread on the go at the moment about cheapest place for rear discs if you end up needing them

i'm not familiar with them, but presume that's all you need. you likely need a press to put them on though, so i'd take it to a garage for a cheapy if you're going to take the disc off yourself. need a 175Nm torque wrench to do the hub nut back up

loads of cheap, decent tyres about

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Well i purchased that wheel bearing il get it done at my mates garage. The ball joint il get them to do it for £45 as its £35 just for the ball joint after fitting it will probably be the same amount.

The only last thing that needs sorting is the pads but i guess i could clean them up tomoz see if that sorts it.

If i book my car in for a retest say next week sometime does it mean i can drive it still or not?

Well hopefully he can press out the old one and re press the new one in without bother.

If youve failed your MOT, You can only drive it to and from the MOT centre iirc.

have you any ticket left on last year's MoT? i thought you could get away with driving on that, but it's probably changed with this new system they've put in

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Well took it to the garage today, went to one garage to get another quote they wanted £350!! compared to £188 i got quoted from my mate. So left it with them should be done by monday then time to wack on the new alloys i got to replace my worn out tyres.

Expensive weekend for me.