ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

have a go guys!

My mate has reserved a valver at a dealership tonight, hes really set on buyin but has some queries! its a p/x car that someone used to trade in for a newun, has 120,000 on the clock but apparently is mint with 3 owners.

Two things hes worried about:

1. Play in steerin, i explained how common this is, and remedies

2. apparantly the front wheels slpoe in a bit, is this norm? i cant remeber on my old valver.

Would really appreciate all responses.

Thanks!

Not too sure about problems with steering etc but if I was buying another one id spend at least an hour checking the following.

Take the car out and get your foot down a bit, get in 4th or 5th and see if the car pulls away smoothly at low speeds, if there is any slipping of the clutch this is a huge job, not much change from £500

Start the car up a few times, make sure the starter motor sounds like it is working fine, not hesitating or sticking etc.

Let the engine get warm and turn on the heater. It should be nice and warm, if it is not a new heater matrix is needed and this is another costly job.

Check the gearbox. Ensure it isnt sticky or there is any difficulty engaging gears. These boxes arent very durable and are always going wrong.

Jack the rear of the car up and turn the back wheels manualy. For some reason the rear calipers have a habit of seizing so make sure the rear wheels turn easily.

Turn the steering wheel a few times, the wheels should turn freely, if they dont or there is excessive noise then the steering pump is on its way out, another costly job.

When driving put all the appliances within the car on, heater, rear window, lights etc and check the battery light. If is comes on the alternator is going.

Im sure there are more things to look out for than this but Ive learned all this from owning one, and if you get a clio that hasnt been looked after, expect huge garage bills.