ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have u got an illegal plate

So.... how many of us are naughty boys and girls and have illegal number plates? Have you been pulled over for them yet?

I have a 3/4 size plate at the front and not been pulled yet - traffic police have seen me many times and have not seem bothered!

Dont have pics of mine, but it is illegal.

* Font is the legal UK 3D font.
* Legal spacing
* Legal background
* Legal border

* Only illegal cos I didnt get the suppliers name on the bottom of the plate, or the BS mark in the bottom right. My plates arrived with a "not road legal" sticker on the reverse!

and the renault diamond, and the lettering if we are going to be picky as all new stlye reg cars (51/02/52 etc) should have the sellers company name and postcode on them(in fact any plates made in the last 2/3 years regarless of the age of the car should have it). But as yours is an old style on a newer car most cops probably wouldnt pick up on this.

ST

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 06 January 2005

* Legal spacing
* Legal background
* Legal border

* Only illegal cos I didnt get the suppliers name on the bottom of the plate, or the BS mark in the bottom right. My plates arrived with a "not road legal" sticker on the reverse!

Ally, where you buy em?

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 06 January 2005

it dont need a dealer mark on it does it ?

they do now, selling dealer + dealers postcode + BS number/logo and correct Font/spacing/borders if applicable and national flags if applicable. Also the border is not allowed to break the area with the eu or flag in it techincally.

http://www.craigsplates.comwww.craigsplates.com

But had to go through the Show Plates plate designer to get plates without the dealer/postcode/BS number on them.

My plates look legal apart from not having the dealer/postcode/BS number on them. (Ive got Ally in small letters on the bottom where the dealer info would normally be - cant see it unless youre really close up).

one of my mates has R44CED with no other info on it. he has been pulled for his tints and the police have even commented on the plate saying it looks good. what is going on?

Mine were legal font, size everything only change was the spacing was N*EL U as opposed to N* ELU and I have so far had 3 tickets 2 years ago in hatfield and 1 d*ckhead of a traffic warden ticketed me 4 times in 4 days in Teignmouth Devon, £30 a time!! I appealed to the last lot and said come on give me a chance to get it sorted and they said tough!! nice, at moment got my legal ones on cos cant afford anymore tickets from littleminded traffic wardens!! grr anyone else had tickets?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

* Legal spacing
* Legal background
* Legal border

Ditto!!! and i payd 30...Then again they are camera shy.

My plates had a VERY slightly and I mean VERY slightly illegal font...........had then on for 5mins and was pulled and threatened with a £60 fine :mad:

Its annoying cause there are loads of plates round here that have been modified to the extent they DO NOT even read what thay are supposed to ie

J19 MEY = J19MEY...........JAMEY

H1 OOD = H1OOD.............HOOD

M1 KEJ = M1KE J.............MIKE JONSTONE

K13 ODY = K 13ODY..........KENNY BODEY

H12 UTO = H1 2 U TO.............HI TO YOU TOO

All of the above have been the respective cars for YEARS and the list just goes on :mad:

Its an absolute abuse or power by some jealous vicious police officers.

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 06 January 2005 at 5:13pm]

[Edited by stusV6 on 06 January 2005 at 5:14pm]

Skoda Fabia vRS

3D font, AFAIK, is no longer legal

we make plates at work, our records are checked by the police frequently, we were told last time to stop making plates with 3D font as its no longer legal, by a police officer

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by stusV6 on 06 January 2005

My plates had a VERY slightly and I mean VERY slightly illegal font...........had then on for 5mins and was pulled and threatened with a £60 fine :mad:

Its annoying cause there are loads of plates round here that have been modified to the extent they DO NOT even read what thay are supposed to ie

J19 MEY = J19MEY...........JAMEY

H1 OOD = H1OOD.............HOOD

M1 KEJ = M1KE J.............MIKE JONSTONE

K13 ODY = K 13ODY..........KENNY BODEY

H12 UTO = H1 2 U TO.............HI TO YOU TOO

All of the above have been the respective cars for YEARS and the list just goes on :mad:

Its an absolute abuse or power by some jealous vicious police officers.

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 06 January 2005 at 5:14pm]
This plate rings bells...Not sure why... Minded dude, with a very fancy car or...4x4 or something...

Mind david sayin something about it

Remapped derv Golf

My mate who lives in Tonbridge told his local police to quote "Go and do some real work" when they came round moaning about the one of his 200sx.

Hes also had one that says "MARK" for trackdays on his GSXR and has by mistake left it on for the journey home from Silverstone. LOL!

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 06 January 2005

* Legal spacing
* Legal background
* Legal border

Ditto!!! and i payd 30...Then again they are camera shy.
Ooh, as in non-reflective?

PM me where from! lol

some of the number plates that people modify to say things etc are hideous, they look t*ss.
(im not saying any ones on here looks t*ss- just ones ive seen on the road)

no i dont have an illegal set of plates.

If anyone wants any advice on number plate legalities give me a shout.....

however, it is highly unlikely youll get pulled over by the police for your plates, and if you do you will just be told to change them to legal ones within 14 days.

also i would advise you not to post your registration plates online...

[Edited by gunnergibson on 06 January 2005 at 5:59pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 06 January 2005
Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 06 January 2005it dont need a dealer mark on it does it ? they do now, selling dealer + dealers postcode + BS number/logo and correct Font/spacing/borders if applicable and national flags if applicable. Also the border is not allowed to break the area with the eu or flag in it techincally.[/QUOTE]

Maybe when its issued by the dealer (they are required to do that) but there is no way its illegal not to display this on your plate otherwise halfords wouldnt be allowed to make plates and we would all have to go to our dealers to buy plates

Quote: Originally posted by robd on 06 January 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 06 January 2005Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 06 January 2005it dont need a dealer mark on it does it ? they do now, selling dealer + dealers postcode + BS number/logo and correct Font/spacing/borders if applicable and national flags if applicable. Also the border is not allowed to break the area with the eu or flag in it techincally.[/QUOTE]

Maybe when its issued by the dealer (they are required to do that) but there is no way its illegal not to display this on your plate otherwise halfords wouldnt be allowed to make plates and we would all have to go to our dealers to buy plates

sorry poorly worded, selling dealer means the place selling the plates not just main dealers. so if halfords or a local factor make them they have to put their logo/name along with the postcode for them to be legal.

yeh its the place that supplied the plates details you need on your plate, not were you bought your car from(imagine if the dealership closed !!!!WTF would you do)

in law its illegal to have anyting other than the bs kitemak and the reg number on the plate... making most of the plate suppliers including halfords plates illegal...lol

BMW 120i Sport

Whats the penalty if youre pulled? Can they give you notification to get it changed, or do you get fined on the spot?

133/225/CLS AMG

Im not convinced you have to have the CAR sellers details on your plate to be legal. Mine did have them on the original plate until I put my own plate on it.

I got my plates from Halfords and the guy was really strict about changing the spaces etc. I saidcan I just get off road plates so I could get X(space)666(space)ALX but he said I would be putting it on the car anyway and that could come back to them!! Bloody gimp. Just got these ones -

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/alexjmills3-Clio_Dark_LightPlate.jpg

Only says Halfords in a tiny font at the bottom!!

350z & 16v Maxi

It is the law that you must have the plate suppliers Name and Post Code on the plate and the BS number in the corner. I think 3D letters are still ok, they are in Scotland.

In Scotland you are still allowed all the different symbols at the side of the plate and the holgram backings, but in England you are only allowed the GB logo at teh side.

When they changed the law in England about the GB logos etc we had some police out side my work (performance car shop, we sell plates) pulling people over about there plates, giving fines for having the Scotand Flag on the side etc, but it is not illegal to have Scotland Flag on plates in Scotland. So i went over and pointed out there mistake, very politely. There was two cops, one was like i think he might be right and the other was a complete mailto:w@nker">w@nker about it. A couple of hours later i got a call from the mailto:w@nker">w@nker apologising as he was wrong.

Anyway to answer the question, my dCi the plates are legal in Scotland, my Maxi, the back is legal in Scotland and i do not have a front plate!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Mack on 06 January 2005

I think mine are only very slightly due to spacing. No bigger gap between any of them. Police have never noticed

My surname and nickname is Mackey

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1105032595__Platearrived.jpg

[Edited by Mack on 06 January 2005 at 5:35pm]

Hey Mack...............compared to mine yours is a long way away from being legal..............the point is it cant be readily seen to read what it should..................mine could......proper spacing and everything eh :(

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 06 January 2005 at 7:04pm]

Quote: Originally posted by AlexJMills on 06 January 2005
Im not convinced you have to have the CAR sellers details on your plate to be legal. Mine did have them on the original plate until I put my own plate on it. I got my plates from Halfords and the guy was really strict about changing the spaces etc. I saidcan I just get off road plates so I could get X(space)666(space)ALX but he said I would be putting it on the car anyway and that could come back to them!! Bloody gimp. Just got these ones - http://server2.uploadit.org/files/alexjmills3-Clio_Dark_LightPlate.jpgOnly says Halfords in a tiny font at the bottom!!

dont you people read before you post lol. i said the place that sells the plate, admittedly i worded it badly to start with but all it needs is the shop/garage who made its name and postcode along with correct font/spacing...blah blah blah on it.