ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head gasket job an a valver

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
So I think the head gasket on my f7p s**t itself. I heard a few suspicious noises for a while and now I found the white gunk on the oil cap.

My question is if it is possible to change the gasket on my own or if i should take it to a mechanic? I have no experience in this kind of work and I don’t want to mess anything up.
Is it true that I have to take out the engine for that because there is no room to fiddle with the cambelt?

Rusty Cup
If you do have a failed head gasket you should really have the head skimmed.

Out of interest what makes you think you have a blown head gasket? mayo on the oil cap isnt a sure sign.

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Guess I’ll take it to the mechanic then ?

Well, it started with a ticking/knocking noise on startup after it sat for a few hours. It sounds kind of like a diesel engine. After around 1 minute it’s back to normal again.
I talked to someone who said this could be because of water in the cylinder.
I also noticed a loss of coolant and the mayo on the oil cap that has never been there before.