ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Unit suddenly lost power? 172 Cup

Quick question, I have a Kenwood head unit that has literally stopped working overnight?!

I haven't changed anything (except put a smaller aerial on the car but sure this isn't the cause) but the head unit will no longer power up or play anything. I can provide more details of the unit and pictures in required but wondering if anyone knows why this may happen?

maybe a loose wire at the back of the unit?

​Thanks in advance

182 Trophy #333
Or the main fuse....open the passenger door, the fusebox is on the side of the dash on the passenger side, pull the cover off and use the diagram on the back of the cover to work out which fuse it is

Ok so I checked the fuses both the head unit and main one are both are fine. The temp and time are showing as well. I took out the unit and got some pictures of the back of it. I don't know what I am looking for tbh me and my friend just connected things together when we put it in.

69e05a9e15b48b9e4eaa8a07f141886f_zpsf13e1ea1.jpg

Is this supposed to be connected to something?!
87813ba46aed42f3c8ff3bb987a8521a_zps10746d02.jpg

6fd90d2acf5169c2e52f3faa9ceef51a_zps8a04edad.jpg

The model:
2b03ab59484c25953d087f59c7ad2640_zps68511ba2.jpg

occasionally the radio will come on and crackle and the unit will sound through the speakers when browsing through the menu with the controls. However the screen will still remain off. This leads me to think it is a fault with the head unit?

​Cheers again

Clio 182
the plug you are questioning is for a cd changer and wont affect powering of unit, there are 3 fuses to check for the radio (1 on radio, 1 ignition supply fue, and 1 constant supply fuse) - multimeter should show 12v on yellow (constant) and 12v on red (ignition, when key is turned)

PH2 Flamer
In your first post you said it will no longer power up. So has this headunit been working then stopped. Or never worked?

Just try a different headunit to rule that out - no point wasting time.

i don't have a spare one unfortunately unless I dig out the original

In your first post you said it will no longer power up. So has this headunit been working then stopped. Or never worked?

Yeah had been working perfectly, got back from a few days blasting round Devon, 4 hour journey home worked all the way then the next day it has stopped since then.

PH2 RS172
the plug youre refering to is the stalk control plug... the cd changer plug is the emply large black socket in the headunit casing. i would recheck all fuses and check that the plugs on the radio loom for the red/yellow wires are pushed in firmly as these can come apart. i would be dubious as to headunit failure as kenwood are bombproof however you can rule it out as said with another radio. remember there are two power sources for a radio... the actual radio fuse and the ignition control for it so pull and check All fuses :)

Thanks for the replies.

Just if anyone is interested it was a problem with the head unit itself I think as I swapped it out with a different one and it worked fine. Kenwood let me down!!