ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head unit upgrade reccomendations?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Need to upgrade my head unit at some point as i cant live without my ipod or more audio control.

Ill set a budget at around £150-£200 (including adaptors if possible)

Must have full ipod connectivity and charge.

Ive seen this which i like the most so far http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/sony-dsxs300btx.html

But im unsure wether i will be paying for functionality over sound quality.

Ive had a pioneer in my last car and i found the sound quality very good, but the ipod control was useless.

Would like to keep stalk controls too

What have you guys been using?

Thanks for any help

Jb

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Need to upgrade my head unit at some point as i cant live without my ipod or more audio control.

Ill set a budget at around £150-£200 (including adaptors if possible)

Must have full ipod connectivity and charge.

Ive seen this which i like the most so far http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/sony-dsxs300btx.html

But im unsure wether i will be paying for functionality over sound quality.

Ive had a pioneer in my last car and i found the sound quality very good, but the ipod control was useless.

Would like to keep stalk controls too

What have you guys been using?

Thanks for any help

Jb

I'm running a Kenwood KDC-BT41U; It has bluetooth, full iPod connectivity, Aux input, rear/sub output and will fully synchronise with your phone to make calls, receive texts etc. It's got a blue display too, nice looking. Costs around £125 IIRC and I highly recommend it; I think there's also a Kenwood KDC-BT61U out now, not sure what new features have been added but it might be worth a look :)

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Cheers for the info, I can see it has rear connection for iPod, how easy is it to route the iPod cable to the glove box?

Listerine & Poledo
Cheers for the info, I can see it has rear connection for iPod, how easy is it to route the iPod cable to the glove box?

Easy.

get your head in the passenger footwell whilst the HU is out and pass the cable from the aperture to the glove box.

Clio 182 Cup
I would like to know the correct leads I need to be able to use the Stalk controls on my 182. I have been told that I have to remvoe the dashboard to plug it into the display and others have told me I dont need to do this.
So if anyone can post the details of the needed cables and if there is a way to tell if its a dash out job I would be grateful.

As to a Stereo I have a Sony HU with Bluetooth conection and it works great with an iPod / iPhone, it also has a USB port on the front which I can charge said unit from.

Clio 182 Black Gold
Have a look at the Alpine IDA-x313. I just upgraded to that yesterday and its mint. Full ipod/iphone connectivity and charge, easy to use menu (comes up the same as your ipod on the sterio screen). It was about £180 and comes with all leads, facia plate ect..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Anything Alpine with orange illumination.

Alpine units have ALWAYS been faultless for me, and the orange illumination makes it look much more OEM.

Contact MT Audio on here and see what he can hook you up with for your budget.

Listerine & Poledo
You'll be hard pushed to get the dash-top display working with most new head units, ask MT AUDIO (trader) and he may be able to put you on the right track there.

the parrot asteroid looks brilliant around £220 got a ton of features, very simple to use no fiddly butttons so you dont have to take eyes off the road to use it, i would have one tomorrow if i didn's have the carminat TomTom in mine

Listerine & Poledo
Actually, OP< look up a Parott MKi9200

Essentially is a bolton to existing headunits, gives you all types of connections and bluetooth, with its own amp.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Despite the advice I still opted for a Sony

I got a dsx-s100 for £99

I enjoy good sound quality and for the money this delivers!

Very happy, online specs of this head unit don't inform of half the audio tweaks that are possible in the menu

Very good stereo for the money

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Pioneer DEH-P77MP

One of the best head units ever made.

deh_p77mp_detailpage.jpg

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
The connection to glove box is piece of piss to do mate....can show you mine if you wanna see if, but I'm using standard headunit with Connects2 onto a Nano for my sound.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I got an alpine Cde-113bt the other week and it does all I need it to do bluetooth, front aux and USB, and I ran the iPod lead from the back of it into the glovebox and quad illumination worth a look at