ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headgasket advice plz ...

Whats the signs of a fooked headgasket on a clio 1.8 16v ?

And whats the max i should be paying to get it sorted?

Thanks

300bhp MR2 Turbo

First sign its gone is water in your oil causing a white paste sort of stuff to develop in/around your oil filler. Also check the water bottle for oil in there.

In worse cases can lead to compression losses in cylinders (this is if the gaskett has broken down between cylinders)

Can cause damage to head and require re-con - thatll prob cost a nice bit extra but if you catch it early enough you should be alright.

This conculdes the only mechanical knowledge I have, I thought mine had gone and looked in to it, luckily - it was fine!

Good luck with yours!

The reason i think mine might be goin is there seems to be oil in my water or the water is just very dirty ! And also there was a weird white sludge stuff round the top of the water bottle... :confused:

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

oil in the water(like a brown mayonaise looking stuff indicates water in the oil),water in the oil(same mayonaise stuff found in the rocker cover/filler cap),engine temp higher than normal,coolant hoses pressurised up more than normal,white smoke from exhaust(check this with engine hot dont confuse it with the cold start condensation) and frequently having to top up coolant but no exterior leaks found.

You can also have a blown head gasket without oil and water mixing. Mine when it went was allowing coolant out the side, between head and block, with not a drop of coolant or oil mixing or going into the combustion chambers.

well its gone in for a full service today inc coolant flush , so ill drive it easy for a few days then check the water / oil see how it is !

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Alex M on 22 January 2004

You can also have a blown head gasket without oil and water mixing. Mine when it went was allowing coolant out the side, between head and block, with not a drop of coolant or oil mixing or going into the combustion chambers.

i did say only if there are no exterior leaks though.