ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight correction, done using everyday tools. Could be used as a guide, very detai

J

jakm15

All the Clios seem to suffer from the headlights deteriorating due to UV rays, wear and tear etc. Here’s how to sort it out with normal tools for a minimum cost. Give it a go it’s easier than it looks and hard to mess up.

Here are a few before pictures.

2.gif

3.gif

Here is what you need and how it’s done step by step.

Step 1:

You need, drill, buffer drill bit, various grades of wet and dry, tape, auto glym SRP, meguiars scratch-x 2.0, 2 cloths, Mr. sheen, bowl+water, all these are available from Halfords.

1.gif

Step 2:

Mask up the area

4.gif

Step 3:

Start with 600 grade

5.gif

Step 4:

Wet it and rub away until a consistent finish is achieved, I found it to smell of old sello tape at first

6.gif

7.gif

Step 5:

Next move to 800 until and consistent finish is achieved

9.gif

Step6:

Finally move on to 1200 until a smooth consistent finish is achieved

10.gif

Step 7:

wipe dry, it should all look the same, if not rub with 1200 until achieved.

11.gif

Step 8:

Put a few blobs of meguiars scratch x 2.0 on the buffer, do not press to hard with the buffer or you brake it like the second picture

12.gif

13.gif

Step 9:

Buff away and keep adding more product until the finish you want is achieved, make sure you don’t catch the lens with the rubber drill bit harbour.

14.gif

Step 10:

Wipe scratch x off then apply auto glym SRP with hand, allow to dry then wipe off

15.gif

Step 11:

Give it a quick wipe with mr sheen

16.gif

Before:

2.gif

After:

17.gif

Step 12:

Give the car a good wash.

Photo0273.gif

Photo0275.gif

Photo0276.gif

Photo0277.gif

Photo0274.gif

Step 13:

Admire your nice new looking lights.

Any comments welcome.

Jack

This could make a good guide in the guides section.

White ds3
Re: Headlight correction, done using everyday tools. Could be used as a guide, very d

did mine the other day didnt use a drill and mr shean but as long as u got the job done lol

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Re: Headlight correction, done using everyday tools. Could be used as a guide, very d

I'm suprised you didn't just spray paint them tbh :rasp:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

A drill and Mr. Sheen! LMAO!

Good results though.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

christ how much product did you use!!!

J

jakm15

did mine the other day didnt use a drill and mr shean but as long as u got the job done lol

did the trick :D

Good result.

I lol'd at the mr sheen too.

i thought some people would, it smells nice

I'm suprised you didn't just spray paint them tbh :rasp:

haha it crossed my mind though

A drill and Mr. Sheen! LMAO!

Good results though.

cheaper that a da or similar

christ how much product did you use!!!

lots and lots :D dont be stingy

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Thats awesome work mate!

Audi TT 3.2

good effort! came up well

MK3

Dynamiqueee

Lol at the tools used, but it worked and as you said - alot cheaper than a DA!

RS Clio 172

Will use this when I finish mine tomorrow :)

Nicely done.

The Mr.Sheen was a waste of time though lol

J

jakm15

Thats awesome work mate!

cheers makes a big difference.

good effort! came up well

thanks, the HID's seem brighter at night now, could be me but could help the light travel.

Lol at the tools used, but it worked and as you said - alot cheaper than a DA!

works well, if you never need a DA for anything else it does the job nicely.

Will use this when I finish mine tomorrow :)

i was unsure about doing them at first but once i got going thers little that can go wrong using fine grade sandpaper like those, i think ill post this up in the guides section could be helpfull to people with no pro tools.

Nicely done.

The Mr.Sheen was a waste of time though lol

i know but my lights smell like my grans house now :rasp:

2002 172 monaco blue

great job

Weeman sucks ****

fcuking awesome, well done to you. i shall be trying this myself once i have all the bits.

bravo

J

jakm15

fcuking awesome, well done to you. i shall be trying this myself once i have all the bits.

bravo

thanks mate, never done anything like this before but it all went swimmingly well :D

Barge

Wow. Great results! Good on you for giving it a go. They always look so old usually, but that is a cracking effort! Ghetto make-over... And a mint one at that!

J

jakm15

Wow. Great results! Good on you for giving it a go. They always look so old usually, but that is a cracking effort! Ghetto make-over... And a mint one at that!

thanks, i was unsure at first i thought i would wreck the lights but it turned out hard to mess up, even if you scratch them badly just work up through the sandpaper grades then it goes smooth. makes a 100% improvement at the front.

Barge

Definitely. I'll be giving it a go on my ph2 lights when they get too stone chipped. Mint.

PM a mod (green name) and get them to put it in the guides section?

J

jakm15

Definitely. I'll be giving it a go on my ph2 lights when they get too stone chipped. Mint.

PM a mod (green name) and get them to put it in the guides section?

ye would be exactly the same on ph2's, already done its in the guides section should help a few people who dont have a machine polisher.

RS Clio 172

Already did it on my ph2 works a treat!