ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight correction guide.. anyone tried it?

02' PH1 172
busy with it on my ph1, gone through the grades of paper, and even did one at 1500 grit, and I cant seem to get my finish right after using the Megs Scratch X, even bought the plastic Megs Scratch X, still seems very dull!!

Evo 6, E92 320d
To do it to a good standard something with better cut is needed imo, I used Menz on mine with a UDM.

Yeah I tried to be a tight arse and didnt use Megs Scratch X. Very nearly got the correct finish but think I will have to admit fail and get the scratch x!

I finished off at 3000 wet n dry then used a DA with menzerna p203. Look like new :approve:

The correct way of going about it.

The 1500 grit followed by Scratch X BS will cost the owner a few £££.

Getting a pro to do it in the right fashion would cost £25 (going off my prices).

Madness. Utter madness.

1.2 Dynamique 16v
I did mine without a machine polisher and they came out great. I did a thread on it, where I said what I did. Ill link you

Just had a look at your thread, will be purchasing some scratch x tomorrow. What's the tape you used mask you used to mask with?
JD - Can see where your coming from but I think if people wanna give it a go themselves then why not, always good to learn new skills.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Wow there is some utterly shocking advisssse in here!

Obviously, perfectly happy for people to give it ago. It's not me that will be paying for new lights or suffering from a lack of vision down dark country lanes!

Menzerna polishes are designed to remove 3000 grade sanding marks. Plastic is also a different medium to paint, so Scratch X will not do its work properly. The amount of heat needed to break down these polishes will not be met by hand polishing.

Simple as that.

I tried this recently (well watched while Harpham did it) and I was worried about scratching the headlights too much. We used 1500 grit, followed by 2500 and then a machine polish. Came up great for a first attempt, a massive improvement on what was there

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Just had a look at your thread, will be purchasing some scratch x tomorrow. What's the tape you used mask you used to mask with?
JD - Can see where your coming from but I think if people wanna give it a go themselves then why not, always good to learn new skills.

I think I used blue scotch tape.

JD - no offense as you obviously have experience. But I wet sanded mine to 1500 then polished with scratch x using a cheap drill attachment and the lights are like new

Saying they'll be dull and not work and cost the owner a fortune isn't really accurate when everyone has had good results using the exact method you're slating!

Ph1 172
I'm going to be trying this tomorrow, wet and dry and cheap halfords drill mop thing, i can't make it any worst, i hope :dapprove:

Only one light is dull so my little Clio looks like its winking ;)

Seat Ibiza
The correct way of going about it.

The 1500 grit followed by Scratch X BS will cost the owner a few £££.

Getting a pro to do it in the right fashion would cost £25 (going off my prices).

Madness. Utter madness.

£25, where do you live??
I want mine done! Like you say headlights you cant really mess around with, well IMO anyway. And defo for only £25 quid! Thats a bargin, mine have just got to the stage where they are starting to look s**t.