ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight correction without a PC Polisher?

ibiza cupra
you will need to keep on top of them bud as they tend to go dull after a while as thats whats happened to mine so if the weather holds up tomorrow then i think im gonna attack them as i aint done them in ages lol. it been that long they have stated cracking up again.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Nice one Fletch. Just get some wax on there to give them a little bit of protection. Just goes to show a bit of hard work and persistance makes a massive difference!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
you will need to keep on top of them bud as they tend to go dull after a while as thats whats happened to mine so if the weather holds up tomorrow then i think im gonna attack them as i aint done them in ages lol. it been that long they have stated cracking up again.

Yeah, going to try and maintain them now.

good job mate. what grade of sandpaper did you use?

1200-1500 wet & dry mate.

Nice one Fletch. Just get some wax on there to give them a little bit of protection. Just goes to show a bit of hard work and persistance makes a massive difference!

Yes Luke. i'm going to give the whole car a good detail tomorrow-sat so i'll give the lights a coat of wax too :)

Before..

4034922646_1d8c8db117.jpg

4034923508_ac38c93888_o.jpg

4034170167_89d71002f3.jpg

After..

4034171747_459cf145e4_o.jpg

4034926078_d7836e4381.jpg

:)

Thats some improvement :)

What did you use bar the 1200-1550 grit wet and dry ?

T Cut ?

Didn't the plastic heat up with all the rubbing ?

As mine are nowhere near as bad as yours but i fancy giving mine a going over as they have a few wee bits in the corners :(

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
^^^Yes mate 1200-1500 wet and dry, and some Megs Scratch X.

The plastic didn't heat up.

I'm going to give mine another going over with some scratch x tomorrow.

Hope this helps mate.

^^^Yes mate 1200-1500 wet and dry, and some Megs Scratch X.

The plastic didn't heat up.

I'm going to give mine another going over with some scratch x tomorrow.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers mate.

How long did they take you to get into the condition they are in now ?

U

Uddy

Top stuff. Mine have gone the same way. Infact, I'd say mine are worse than yours!

Need to get them sorted, knowing me ill sand straight through the plastic ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice work fletch. looks good. did you manage to do it all by hand? rotary might give it a bit more shine, but if you've done that all by hand I feel your pain.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate.

How long did they take you to get into the condition they are in now ?

About 1.5-2 hrs on each light mate.

Top stuff. Mine have gone the same way. Infact, I'd say mine are worse than yours!

Need to get them sorted, knowing me ill sand straight through the plastic ;)

You'll be fine.

Nice work fletch. looks good. did you manage to do it all by hand? rotary might give it a bit more shine, but if you've done that all by hand I feel your pain.

Cheers fella. yeah they could do with a PC polisher to really get them shining.

I did one of mine again this morning using a drill attachment from halfords and used scratch x. Brings it out alot better and less effort. Should get some pics later.

Not a 320d
You could always use T cut, if your not detailing mad or suffer from "OCD" as the people at DW call it i dont see why this would be a problem.

172 16v
ive done mine over the weekend use wet dry up to grade 1200 then megs scratch x 2.0 and i was buffing for ages and 1 is still quite dull and other is like dull in places any idea's why??

One Phat Clio
i have slight scracthes on my light from using 600 wet and dry sand paper.

Should i buy 1200 + wet and dry sand paper from like Halfords and sand with continiuosly with water gently?

Thank you for any feedback!! Great thread.

Seat Ibiza FR
I tried this yesterday. I worked up from 1500 - 2500 wet and dry then used my G220 with cutting pad + polishing pads with various Menzerna polishes and i'm left with some light scratches, how do i fix this? Do more with the G220 or use the wet and dry a bit more and then go over with G220?

More polishing buddy. Depends what you mean by scratching.

As far as I'm concerned, I really don't think people should be attempting this without a machine polisher, or at least the option to take it to someone nearby with one. By wet sanding the build up off the plastic of the headlamps, you are marring the surface. Machine polishing is designed to get rid of marring in both paint surfaces and plastic (with the right products).

You will never achieve as good a finish after wet sanding if you polish the headlamps back up by hand.

E87 118d M Sport
Id have to agree with JD there.
Equally for the money we charge to do it (as opposed to buying polishers/pads/polishes/wetdry paper etc etc), thats always an option.

Something I hadn't mentioned Markie, but quite right. For the ease/lack of issues I am happy for anyone to contact me about this issue. Not wishing to advertise services however!

Nothing wrong with that, except the Mr Sheen bit at the end! Lol!

The only issue I would flag up would be to watch how hot the drill polishing makes the plastic headlamp.